Go to footer

How much mohair?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

How much mohair?

Postby fleacollar999 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:18 pm

Hello again!

I am going to be making my next doll a wig because he has long curly/wavy brown hair and all the wigs I can find in an 8/9 size are too girly. As I have never made a wig before, my wig-making method will be gluing mohair locks onto a wig cap-- crude but effective! So my question was, how much mohair should I get-- 1/2 an ounce? 1 ounce? 2 ounces?-- to make a decent 8/9 wig?

Thanks!
fleacollar999.deviantart.com

Lourdes- 27cm Obitsu
Clara- 27cm Obitsu
Emma- Liv
Antigone (Tigs)- Hujoo Berry
Nissh- Pukipuki Pukisha
Rhode "Pyxy" Maxwell- BBB Rachel on RS Xue body
Roshana Sa'adat- Desert Jewelz Bratz
fleacollar999
Dolly Pardon

Re: How much mohair?

Postby Trethowan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:39 pm

I'm sorry this has been posted so long without a response. I wish I knew an answer. I always buy more than I need for any given project because I'm the queen of screwing up.

Have you done anything with it yet?
Trethowan
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Re: How much mohair?

Postby magkelly » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:34 pm

This should help. There's a guide here about how much hair you need for what doll. The doll head you're talking about it about 1/3 again larger than a Gene doll which has a 5-6 head. Mohair is thicker than saran and that though so you might get by with less. Rather than gluing mohair piece by piece have you considered hitting a beauty supply shop and grabbing a weft of some kind of synthetic hair, or a craft shop and getting some fake fur. Gluing or sewing an already made weft is a lot easier and there are tons of colors to pick from. Fake fur wigs are really easy to make. There are several tutorials on You Tube. You can even do it by hand.

http://dollyhair.com/faq.htm
magkelly
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks