Go to footer

A newb's Barbie factory face removal questions...

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

A newb's Barbie factory face removal questions...

Postby WhiteDove01s » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:21 am

I'd like to save and reuse the heads from the Back Room Barbies I have, but that means taking the factory applied faces off. No, I'm not so much a newb as to be completely clueless here, however, I have run into some problems that I'm hoping someone here might have explanations and answers to.

First off, I know why not to use acetone on vinyl. It can damage it, warp it, and if you soak vinyl heads in it you can shrink em. With that said, I still see a lot of tutorials that go straight for it, and I have to admit I'm leaning towards taking the risk myself. I tested some of the Evil Overlord's acetone nail polish remover on one of the Test Barbies, and didn't see any vinyl damage... but I also made a quick job of it and rinsed and washed the doll head very well afterward. However, it didn't get all the paint off... there are a few smudges around the face that almost look like bruising, and some bits of pink still in the cracks of the mouth. Suggestions? Something I could scrub it with other than a q-tip (which I used) that won't melt in acetone? Some trick to this I'm missing?

Also, I'd really rather not use the acetone and risk damage, but that leads to the next problem. A friend told me that non-acetone nailpolish remover that has colored dye in it can stain the vinyl. Out of everywhere I've checked - including Amazon - I only found two kinds of non-acetone nail polish remover with no dye. One was for the same manufacturer's 'special' type of nailpolish and said it wouldn't work on regular polish, so I doubt it would work on Barbie faces. The other was a 'moisturizing' formula containing Tea Tree Oil, and I know that oil is bad for vinyl too...

So, what exactly am I supposed to use to get these faces off? Is there a certain brand I can search for? Should I just cave and use the acetone for lack of options? And if so, how do I get those last smudges and bits in the cracks gone?
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Re: A newb's Barbie factory face removal questions...

Postby yarwel » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:49 am

I haven't noticed any staining from my non-acetone nail polish remover(it's pink). Also, I know that you CAN use tee-tree oil to remove face-ups, you just need to wash the head afterward with soapy water. Absolutely do not use the acetone; I've tried it and it doesn't really take the paint off, but just spreads it around and makes stains instead.
yarwel
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:54 am

I use acetone nail polish remover and rinse quickly on Monster High, same as Barbie. The trick is to make little cotton balls, about the size of a q-tip tuft, out of a big cotton ball and use my finger nail to scrape the cotton ball. Use small motions so you don't smudge. If you do have some smudges rinse the doll and let it rest then go back after the smudges.

By accident I discovered very hot water can take some faces off too, while trying to melt hair glue the whole head was softened and the face just came off in my hands. I had stuck the head in the water then stuck the whole thing in the microwave for a minute or so.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby WhiteDove01s » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:13 pm

Just a quick note to say I found a third option to throw into what seems to be an ongoing debate. I've taken to sanding the factory paint off, very carefully and lightly, with an off-brand dremel tool. It's working for me so far, tho I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone. It would be possible to damage the head if I'm not careful... though I doubt it's any more dangerous than acetone given the point I've been using and what little effect it has on the vinyl. And it lets me be very selective about what I remove. I've done some work where I've just 'faded out' the eyebrows to guide lines, left the iris and pupil as guides and removed all of the rest of the eye (and makeup), or just removed the 'lipstick'. :)
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby OkamiKodomo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:49 pm

Yanno I've actually had luck with the same stuff used to take off BJD faces. Good ol' windsor & newton brush cleaner. I dunno, I haven't had any experience with heads getting damaged.
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby WhiteDove01s » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:51 am

A good brush cleaner is on my list of 'tools to get' as it is, so I'll look for that one. Thanks. :) Even if I keep using the dremel, I'm sure there will be times I'll like having options.
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks