Go to footer

Good light for photography?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Re: Good light for photography?

Postby K2! » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:56 am

Just a regular old light bulb will be fine. Assuming you're using a digital camera, check to see if it has a setting for indoor lighting or incandescent lighting so the color is correct. If it has a flash, you can use the flash but frequently that can give you that "deer in the headlights" look. If your camera is digital, go ahead and experiment. You won't be burning through film (just batteries).
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby Sixoclock » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:00 am

I really like the "natural light" light bulbs. :) I use these for when I am doing face-ups, drawing, painting, sewing etc and don't have enough natural light -- as well as for taking pictures. Plus, as K2 said, definitely check the settings on your camera.
Sixoclock
the walls have dolliehs

Postby absynthe1972 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:47 am

I've used everything from candles, to klieg lights, to huge monstrous flashlights to having an overhead ceiling fan with four 100 watt blue light bulbs to grow lights going on in different photo shoots around the house. And sometimes, it was just a photo or two under a regular lamp and incandescent bulb. Although, it's hard to find anything under 100 watts in this house.

Always remember to experiment with the settings of your camera in different lighting. *nods head*
My what big EYES you have!
absynthe1972
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Stormlight » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:20 am

I have this lamp for my birds that simulates sunlight, so it's very bright, white light as opposed to my yellowish ceiling bulbs (even the halogen bulbs above my bed are too yellow). The lamp works pretty well to simulate natural light, but it does tend to throw shadows if I don't aim it right. I think I need more than one in order to keep the shadow-effect to a minimum. lol

I'd thought of buying a couple of those clip-on bedside lamps and putting those really bright LED bulbs in them.

Then I saw the cost of just one of those bulbs and about had a heart attack. ^^;
Stormlight
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby maywong » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:57 am

Reverie wrote:Are the lightbulbs called "Natural Light" lol I know nothing about lightbulb brands and names :lol:

The "Natural Light" light bulbs are made by different companies. They are clear and give you lighting like outside without the yellow or blue tint that some light bulbs do.
Last edited by maywong on Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby K2! » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:08 pm

What type of camera do you have (make and model)?
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby leopardessmoon » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:55 am

lightbulbs....
lightbulbs that are labled "soft or warm" white are going to be yellowish in tint they are designed to feel like old fashioned incandesents and candlelight they are the MOST common type on the shelves in the fluorescent section they are low on the Kelvin (measures the color-temperature of the light) spectrum (about 3000).
lightbulbs that are labled "sunlight or natural light or daylight" are going to be more pure white with a hint of blue and will seem harsh if you are used to the yellowy ones. they are much higher on the Kelvins (4000 to 6000)
the "reveal" lightbulbs by GE are VERY blue and are designed to make plant folliage look healthier and not wilty. they are actually coated with a blue film. not recomended for photo takeing unless you are going for an underwater or icy feeling

for photo takeing I use the fluorescent daylight bulbs in higher "wattages" 75 to 100 equivalants (1200 to1700 lumens) in multiple locations and one 40watt equiv (500 lumens). bulb in soft white to kinda balance the harsher shadows

for everyday living I have slowly been changeing all my bulbs to the daylight kind....somehow my kitchen doesnt seem as dingy, dirty anymore...after all that scrubbing and bleaching and curseing it was the LIGHTBULBS....grrrrr :)
my bedroom still has one warm bulb in the ceiling. it looks really sickly orange compared to the daylight bulbs which look white.
my nerdy knowledge comes from working in the hardware department for a year. lol
leopardessmoon

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks