Go to footer

Sewing Question: Hems that roll, twist, and bunch up.

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Sewing Question: Hems that roll, twist, and bunch up.

Postby Trethowan » Tue May 07, 2013 7:23 pm

Hi there, I really need some help.

When sewing my usual human-sized fare I've never had this problem so I'm a little confused as to what I'm doing wrong.

When sewing tiny doll sized things I'm finding that my hems are twisting and rolling. It only does it when sewing a curved item, like the hem of a skirt or the bottom edge of a cape.

What am I doing wrong? Are my seam allowances too big for the curve or size of the garment? Should I cut little notches in the fabric like I do on my armholes so it rolls better?

/sigh. I don't know why I can make a 1776 coat for myself and have no problems but I can't sew a simple a-line skirt for a doll. It isn't new information, you guys know I've mentioned it before. Is it the size or am I just missing crucial information about patterns and methods when sewing for dolls? Fabric hasn't magically changed overnight, nor have the basics of sewing but I can NOT seem to wrap my brain around sewing tiny things. This is a skill deficit I'd definitely like to overcome.

Thanks to everyone for your wisdom and advice. I really appreciate you. <3
Trethowan
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Re: Sewing Question: Hems that roll, twist, and bunch up.

Postby OkamiKodomo » Tue May 07, 2013 7:27 pm

I typically cheat at that, so I can't tell ya. I fray-check the skirts and then hand-sew trims to the edges if the fray check causes too much discoloration.
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Trethowan » Tue May 07, 2013 8:37 pm

I traditionally do a 'double-roll' type of hem so the raw edges are completely hidden. That's where I'm messing up, the double-roll keeps tightening down into a tiny tube and then my hem isn't straight.
Trethowan

Postby zirconmermaid » Tue May 07, 2013 9:13 pm

It's the curve. Put a gathering stitch close to the edge before you turn anything up. Gather it to the length of the upper edge of the hem - where the stitches are. Press before sewing. Pin a lot. Then sew.
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby Trethowan » Wed May 08, 2013 12:37 am

Thanks for the tips! I found this link for visual aids based on your advice. I'm going to give it a shot. I'll post pictures.

http://www.burdastyle.com/techniques/curved-hems
Trethowan

Postby oniakki » Thu May 09, 2013 12:59 am

Oh, nice, very useful. I was just assuming I didn't have enough practice myself.
oniakki
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks