Go to footer

Knot rooting tips?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Knot rooting tips?

Postby DollyKim » Wed May 08, 2013 2:09 pm

To get the length I want on my Blythe I think I'll have to root her with the knot method. I'm used to needle and thread so I'm not a complete n00b. As I understand you thread a plug through the needle eye, pull it through the hole, and tie or already have a knot on the end that goes inside the head.

With the knot method about how many hairs should I use in a plug? I'm thinking of knotting and gluing the plugs before putting them in, is there any kind of glue that would work best? I have white craft, super glue, and acrylic medium and sealers.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Re: Knot rooting tips?

Postby Pandor » Wed May 08, 2013 2:17 pm

I usually tie my knot in the middle, thread one end of the plug through the needle and pull it through, stopping just before the knot hits the inside of the scalp, then thread the other end. You can do the knot at the end of the plug, but I feel like having it in the middle with both ends of the plug coming out two holes is a bit more secure. Plus it makes knotting faster.
Pandor
the walls have dolliehs

Re: Knot rooting tips?

Postby magkelly » Wed May 08, 2013 4:09 pm

I usually just wet and thread a few strands through a long needle, work from the outside taking the needle through the neck pull it mostly through, knot it and then pull it tight into the head. I don't knot or glue before I thread. The glue sticks and makes for split ends when you do that while knotting I've found. Water or sewing wax works very well to make it manageable. I get it all done, and usually I don't need any glue at all by then as I tend to root thickly and knot at the end of each strand. But if it does I use a little squirt of craft glue after it's all done down the neck. That's it.
magkelly
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks