Go to footer

Liquitex Soulvar Matte Varnish and Vinyl UPDATE

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Liquitex Soulvar Matte Varnish and Vinyl UPDATE

Postby Pleasesaveheart » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:29 pm

So I got into a little bit of a pickle and went up north on vacation, meaning I had no time to order MSC and I really wanted to work on my little Obitsu. So I decided to make a trip to Michaels and look for Vallejo sealers. But, unfortuantly, my journey came to an end, as they had never heard of it and that obviously means, WE NO STOCK THAT. So, discouraged, I went to buy some brushes so I'd have them later on.

But behold the glory, I see this mysterious sealer, Liquitex Soulvar Matte Varnish, dusty and alone, next to a bazillion other aerosols. Upon seeing this, I recall someone here suggesting it. So as if God himself whispered YOLO, I grabbed it, growled at the 19.99 price, left confident with my paintbrushes and sealant.
-----
And... I actually like this for VINYL! Note I have not tested this with RESIN, and nor will I, I love my little Limhwa too much to ruin her by mistake. So this is only been tested with my Obitsu vinyl dolls. Although I sprayed last week, on Sunday, I'm watching it closely for stickiness and yellowing, but so far it works perfectly. A few notes I want to put out there for you guys. One I read it has Isopropyl Alcohol in it. Which of course worries me, But her face is still in tact, and even during face up it didn't smear at all which surprised me, it might be diluted by the other ingredients, but keep that in mind. WARNING spray only one or two sprays. IT will get very sticky, and will not dry. I had it rest for 3 days and one side was slightly sticky, but the other was gross. I felt disheartened, but rinsed the head and retried, doing 1-2 small sprays of the head. And voila only sticky feeling for a day. After that it was perfectly fine. I did the face up, being my first mind you with soft vinyl, I noticed it was harder to remove paint than with MSC, compaired to my hard vinyl Hujoo, or even my old Gretel head. So if you mess up, you may be able to fade it...but not get rid of it. Although next face up I will attempt other ways. I wouldn't recommend this if you are doing pastels too, as I feel if you kept adding layers, it'll look terrible. So if you're doing a simple face up or with anime like me, perfecto. So I feel like this would be good with MH repaints, but you'll have to wait a little bit for it to completely dry. :)
Here are some pictures of it in normal and artificial light. There is slight sheen to her face, and not as matte as MSC can give. So you give and take.
ImageImage

GOOD LUCK! And if you have any questions feel free to ask! If anything happens and the head goes pluh, I will update this. :)

EDIT!
I redid the spray and I learned I am just dumb :roll: I learned that I over sprayed my dollhead, and it isn't sticky! Becareful spraying or else you're going to be miserable! Perfect for vinyl dolls!
Last edited by Pleasesaveheart on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pleasesaveheart
i see dead dolliehs

Re: Liquitex Soulvar Matte Varnish and Vinyl

Postby yarwel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:44 pm

Isopropyl evaporates quickly and won't leave a residue. It's probably only included as a propellent, so it probably won't dissolve any of your paint. The stickiness sounds worrisome though.
yarwel
the walls have dolliehs

Re: Liquitex Soulvar Matte Varnish and Vinyl

Postby Pleasesaveheart » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:04 pm

Yeah, it does. That's why i'm keeping a close eye on her. Who knows if it'll get sticky again.
Pleasesaveheart
i see dead dolliehs

Re: Liquitex Soulvar Matte Varnish and Vinyl UPDATE

Postby Czanne » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:04 am

I am using it on resin and am very happy. In terms of health hazard, I don't feel like I'm getting lung melts with it (Superclear really irritated, even with outside, mask and protection.) I love the feel of the tooth; I feel like I can actually blend a facial foundation of ground pastels and it doesn't pick up floating dust as badly. So far, so good.
Your kingdom is the earth on which you walk.
Czanne
i see dead dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks