Go to footer

Fray check, fabri-tac, and questions.

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Fray check, fabri-tac, and questions.

Postby WhiteDove01s » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:10 am

Ok, I've heard a few mentions of Fray-Check before, but unless I overlooked it, it's something that might not have existed last time I did any great amount of sewing. I'm guessing, from the name, that it prevents fabric from fraying. Is it permanent or just something used when sewing and then washed out? (I use plain white glue for the latter)

I can't just run out and pick some up, I have no car and there's nothing that sells that kind of thing in walking distance. Can Fabri-tac be used to do the same thing? If so, how? Without gluing the sewing to something I wouldn't want it glued to, that is.
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Re: Fray check, fabri-tac, and questions.

Postby ShadowKat » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:39 am

Fray-Check is a miracle liquid! :D It's a clear watery liquid that binds the threads of fabric together to prevent fraying. It works wonders especially on thin quilting cottons and those notorious satin fabrics. I don't think I could stand sewing in 1/6th scale if not for the stuff. :D It's made by Dritz, so Fray-Check is the brand name when you search for it.

It has a slight alcohol-y smell (rubbing, not beer) and will turn the material a slightly darker shade where you put it, though it's not terribly noticeable even if it seeps through the seams and onto the visible material. It doesn't wash out in water, though that does seem to make it less noticeable.

The best way that I've found to use it is to run a thin line around the edges of my pattern pieces before I've even cut them out. After I'm done sewing, when I cut back my seam allowances, I put some more Fray-Check around the seams.

Fabri-Tac is really too thick to do the same job as Fray-Check, where it is actually a glue, but I have watered it down before when I was in a pinch and out of Fray-Check. The results aren't near as consistent, however, and not near as neat or clean. I can't recommend Fray-Check near enough.

Do you have a near-by Wal-Mart, WhiteDove01s? That's where I get mine. I tried to check their website for you, but my internet connection has been bad lately and I can't tell if they offer it online. The page won't fully load. XD I hate dial-up! Anyways, I hope this helps some! :D
ShadowKat
Dolly Pardon

Postby Yanagi-sen » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:16 am

Fray-check is a magical thing!!!! A MUST if you are going to work with brocades and the like. You can order it from JoAnn.com and I'm sure Amazon and other places would have it as well. Here is a link.

http://www.joann.com/search/_fray%20che ... 20notions/
Yanagi-sen
the walls have dolliehs

Postby WhiteDove01s » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:02 pm

Ok, it's definitely going on my Amazon shopping list for this month if I can scrape together enough. :) Thanks for the info.

There's a WalMart technically in the area, but further than I can walk and this dratted town refuses to have a bus system. Or decent sidewalks, but that's a whole other complaint. Amazon, though, is where a lot of household supplies that aren't at Save-A-Lots come from once a month.

In the instance that spawned the question, I think that for now I'll set the item made from thin old curtain aside and make a sturdier version with white t-shirt fabric. Until I get the Fray-check. :)
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Faydreams » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:53 am

I've tried both for keeping cloth from fraying. I learned pretty quickly I can't use fray check because it takes my breath away the moment I open the bottle. Fabric Tac isn't quiet as good but since it doesn't do me the same way it's what I use.

If you decided to use fabric tac lay your fabric on something plastic to prevent it from sticking. The plastic may stick for a moment but unlike paper or other fabric it will not stay stuck once you lift the fabric off. I'd recommend doing something similar with Fray Check as well. Keeps you from ruining the fabric.
The pen is mightier than the sword.... Unless this is a sword fight.
Faydreams
Dolly Pardon

Postby E-Beth » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:14 am

You might also look at "June Taylor Fray Block". It does the same things as Fray Check, but it dries flexible and not scratchy. You stick the tube in warm water, then shake it up. the apply. I love it, and need to start using it on more of my doll clothes.
E-Beth
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks