Go to footer

Sanding ABS Plastic, possibly dipped?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Sanding ABS Plastic, possibly dipped?

Postby VirgoVertigo » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:13 pm

i know that i should get around to sanding my Hujoo soon. but i'm scared as to how it will end up, as she is chocolate brown and not made of resin. would i sand her differently, would i sand her at all? i heard that sanding dipped resin ends up badly.
More Waifu Will Ruin Your Laifu

MLP Arena: PuddingPie
Instagram: @virgo_vertigo (check out my store, @vergo_vertigo_shop !)
VirgoVertigo
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Re: Sanding ABS Plastic, possibly dipped?

Postby Pandor » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:44 pm

Unless you're adding sculpted mods and need to blend the seam-line, I can't think of any reason you'd need to sand a Hujoo. Abs plastic doesn't take sanding very well, either.
Pandor
the walls have dolliehs

Postby VirgoVertigo » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:26 am

Pandor wrote:Unless you're adding sculpted mods and need to blend the seam-line, I can't think of any reason you'd need to sand a Hujoo. Abs plastic doesn't take sanding very well, either.

i just wanted to sand her so that there weren't seam lines all over. oh well! it's fine, i love her with or without those lines.

VirgoVertigo

Postby K2! » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:35 pm

You can sand ABS, but it's no where near as easy to work as resin. The big issue you would come up against is the area you sand will appear lighter in color than the unsanded area. This is due to the tiny, tiny scratches the sanding medium leaves on the surface. The effect is particularly prominent on darker colored items like your chocolate brown doll. Some doll companies won't sand parting lines on their colored resin dolls for this reason. If the seams have a little bit of flash you can remove some of that by scraping carefully with an xacto knife. Hold the blade 90 degrees to the surface and drag it across the ridge, slowly and gently. If you've not done this before you might want to try it on a willing victim before going after your pride and joy. Alas, even this can leave marks.
So unless you are hell bent to remove those seams and are up for sanding every square centimeter several times, working up to some ridiculously fine grits, it's best to leave her be.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby VirgoVertigo » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:18 pm

K2! wrote:You can sand ABS, but it's no where near as easy to work as resin. The big issue you would come up against is the area you sand will appear lighter in color than the unsanded area. This is due to the tiny, tiny scratches the sanding medium leaves on the surface. The effect is particularly prominent on darker colored items like your chocolate brown doll. Some doll companies won't sand parting lines on their colored resin dolls for this reason. If the seams have a little bit of flash you can remove some of that by scraping carefully with an xacto knife. Hold the blade 90 degrees to the surface and drag it across the ridge, slowly and gently. If you've not done this before you might want to try it on a willing victim before going after your pride and joy. Alas, even this can leave marks.
So unless you are hell bent to remove those seams and are up for sanding every square centimeter several times, working up to some ridiculously fine grits, it's best to leave her be.

thank you so, so much for all the information. i'm glad you told me before i did something stupid!
at least it's less work to do ... :lol:

VirgoVertigo

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks