Go to footer

Advice on cutting and sewing felt?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Advice on cutting and sewing felt?

Postby DollyKim » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:01 am

I want to do more felt crafts but a big problem I have is cutting small pieces out so they have even edges and don't look like a little kid did them. Know what I mean? I'd like to do some appliqués, small stuff with 2-3 pieces on top of each other and some decorative stitches.

Any tips for cutting it out and sticking it together with certain hand sewing stitches or a certain kid of glue? I can sew basic felt stuff together it just never looks like how I want it too.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Re: Advice on cutting and sewing felt?

Postby SetsunaKou » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:46 am

I know what you mean! Especially on craft foamies, it's a bit difficult! But I've found that if you use a pair of long, really sharp scissors, and then start cutting from the back of the blades rather than the front, you can keep the tension/pressure longer without closing the scissors and snipping/cutting. The main thing is to keep one long cut for as long as you can without snipping/finishing. That's why I start towards the back of the scissors to give me the longest amount of time I can get without actually ending/finishing the cut, and maintaining equal pressure all around. For round pieces, just never finish the cut until you're all the way around---keep carefully spinning the circle in just ONE cut/snip. Two snips at the most, but you'll have to trim where you cut the first time, so it's best to just keep going until you get it how you'd like in one go around.
It's hard to describe and if you'd like, I can try to make a video of what I mean.

For glues, I can recommend 'FabriTac' by Beacon Hill or their new '8 Way' glue which is practically the same thing but a few dollars less costly. (Fabri Tac is even at Wal-Mart, but the 8 Way so far, I've found only at Jo-Ann's and online.) We use both with success on almost all types of fabrics, especially felts and fleeces.
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby she_flame » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:13 am

I have not done felt applique, but I recommend blanket stitch for putting it together. Another useful hand stich is the basic running stitch (done with small and careful stitches). Like this.

For decoration, any embroidry stitch will be fine. There is a guide for them.
Last edited by she_flame on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
she_flame
Dolly Pardon

Postby richila » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:36 am

I haven't tried long scissors when doing tiny pieces of felt, but I do make sure that I have the sharpest pair of scissors possible. For tiny things, I tend to use my tiny really sharp embroidery scissors.
richila
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby ghostdollie » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:01 am

A higher quality felt, like the wool blend felt on bolts at JoAnn, cuts much cleaner than the craft felt sheets. It doesn't have as many colors, however. Wool/rayon blends cut beautifully, don't pill, and photograph perfectly matte. Felt work is so fun!
ghostdollie
i see dead dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:39 am

@SetsunaKou I know what you mean about the cuts. That could be some of problems. My circles have problems looking like circles.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby zirconmermaid » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:35 am

It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby MeltedCaramel » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:26 am

Best thing I can recommend: A sharp pair of barber's scissors. I have found that these cut with more precision and force than even the most expensive craft scissors. Get a nice big pair and follow Setsunakou's advice for tension and even pressure, but the scissors will definitely help you cut stubborn fabric. It can also make those pesky "re-snips" nearly invisible because they're just that sharp.
"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." -Robin Williams
MeltedCaramel
the walls have dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks