Go to footer

Scale conversion to 1:6 help, please? :(

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Scale conversion to 1:6 help, please? :(

Postby ~TurkishDelight~ » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:12 am

I have a papercraft pattern of a UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter that says it's 1:33 scale, but I want to make it 1:6 scale for my dolls. Does anyone know how I can convert it and scale it up? I know it will be huge, but that's what I need for it to be 'life-size' for my dolls. I tried using Google, but I don't understand the calculators and I'm horrible at math. I have the .pdf file if anyone needs it. Thanks so much~ :oops:
currently fighting cancer. please forgive my chemo-brain. ^^
my 1/6 dollieh Wishlist & 4Sale/Trade list~ :P
~TurkishDelight~
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Re: Scale conversion to 1:6 help, please? :(

Postby DollyKim » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:35 am

Go about it the opposite way, take the dimensions of the original and scale them down. It's 64 feet 10 inches, divide that by 6 feet. That's going to make it just over 10 feet long to be in scale if I did my math correctly.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby richila » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:59 am

I usually scale things down. To get a 1/12 pattern from 1/3; I divide it by 4 or shrink it to 25%. To get a 1/6 pattern from a 1/33 I would multiply by 5 or make it 500% bigger.
richila
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby ~TurkishDelight~ » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:54 am

Thanks guys! Wow DollyKim, it's going to be even bigger than I thought! I saw some other people make 1/6 Blackhawks, and they said they were about 7 or 8 feet long. But I think you're right, dividing the length of a real one by 6 would make it over 10 feet long! :shock:

Richila, thanks for doing the math for me, I had no clue how to figure out what size to make the papercraft pattern. Did you divide 33 by 6? I had no idea how to even do that, so thank you so much. :D The calculator is saying 5.5, but I need to make it 500% bigger to make it exactly 1/6 from 1/33? I just want to make sure since I have no clue and want to make it the perfect size for my dolls. :P
~TurkishDelight~

Postby ShadowKat » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:30 am

There's also this. He even walks you through how to convert scale measurements to another scale. this is how I get my prop dimensions in 1/6th most of the time. Hope it helps! :D
ShadowKat
Dolly Pardon

Postby richila » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:47 am

~TurkishDelight~ wrote:Thanks guys! Wow DollyKim, it's going to be even bigger than I thought! I saw some other people make 1/6 Blackhawks, and they said they were about 7 or 8 feet long. But I think you're right, dividing the length of a real one by 6 would make it over 10 feet long! :shock:

Richila, thanks for doing the math for me, I had no clue how to figure out what size to make the papercraft pattern. Did you divide 33 by 6? I had no idea how to even do that, so thank you so much. :D The calculator is saying 5.5, but I need to make it 500% bigger to make it exactly 1/6 from 1/33? I just want to make sure since I have no clue and want to make it the perfect size for my dolls. :P

I did an estimate from 30, but if the calculator says 5.5 then you need 550%.
richila
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby ~TurkishDelight~ » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:33 am

Thank you Richila! I couldn't do it without you! :P <3

ShadowKat, thanks for the link. That's a really good thing to know how to use. It's good it has a tutorial, I'll need to try my best to concentrate and figure it out so I can make cool props for my dolls too. :)

Hmm, I have a question about scaling and editing patterns. If I open the .pdf pattern as images on a photo editing program (I have GIMP), will they be the same size they were on the .pdf? I want to edit the colors off the pattern and leave only the outlines so I can print it without wasting a ton of ink. But I want the images to be the exact same size they were on the .pdf so I can scale them 550% and have them still all be accurate sizes to each other and 1/6. :oops:
~TurkishDelight~

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks