Go to footer

The Great Question of Sealants

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

The Great Question of Sealants

Postby SymphonicEnkelli » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:40 pm

Hello!

As some may have seen in the Sux thread, my current monster high doll head has suddenly decided to reject the sealant I'm using. Now, before every starts going "It probably wasn't meant for vinyl", I'm using Liquitex which has been used by many in the MH customizing world, and I actually used it on this head and another head successfully several times. Only recently has this head gone sticky every time I sprayed a coat. I have tried everything from waiting extra long for paint to dry, spraying lighter layers, etc. Last night, I sprayed the head (after stripping it for a second time), and even without any fresh paint, it refused to dry. Should I just check this head out the door and get another one?

Furthermore, I am interested in trying out other sealants. I noticed that one of my doll's bodies has a sticky hand, so now I'm getting a little wary of my current sealant. Do not suggest MSC or the like. I only want to work with non-toxic sealants and I know there are options out there.

Also, any general types on how to use sealant would be awesome. I thought I had it down, but then this whole fiasco happened.

Thank you!
SymphonicEnkelli
Dollmatians

Re: The Great Question of Sealants

Postby Trethowan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:47 pm

It probably wasn't meant for viny-- oh wait. ;-)

I just started using Krylon (to replace my lost Vallejo) and I've heard good things about it from other hobbyists. It is my new non-toxic sealant of choice.
Trethowan
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby SymphonicEnkelli » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:06 pm

Trethowan wrote:It probably wasn't meant for viny-- oh wait. ;-)

I just started using Krylon (to replace my lost Vallejo) and I've heard good things about it from other hobbyists. It is my new non-toxic sealant of choice.

Oooo, let me know how it works! I'm always looking for non-toxic sealants!
SymphonicEnkelli
Dollmatians

Postby OkamiKodomo » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:07 pm

Just keep in mind that just because the chemicals in the sealant are non-toxic doesn't mean you can forgo a respirator. It's not the chemicals that are the problem, it's the particles that become airborne. Your lungs are not built to dissolve sealants, and so anything you inhale, essentially sits there, much like the fibers in asbestos.
Last edited by OkamiKodomo on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Trethowan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:56 pm

There's probably half a can of MSC floating around in my lungs. (I'm exaggerating)

It's only non-toxic when it dries. Breathing Krylon, Vallejo, or any of the others is just as bad as breathing MSC, I think.
Trethowan

Postby oniakki » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:30 pm

Is your sealant only not working on the one head now, or does that can not work on any heads? I know a number of sealants start acting up if they get too hot or cold in storage (or just get too old).

Also has it been particularly humid during your recent attempts? My projects take so much longer to dry here in Kansas (high humidity) compared to Colorado (low humidity).
oniakki
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby SillyLilPuppet » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:31 pm

Be careful with Krylon, it is fine on some plastics and some others it will stay tacky or make the actual plastic get a gummy sticky feel, even after removal. I don't think there's any 100% will work on anything sealant.

By the way, you can actually apply most acrylic based brush on sealants with an airbrush. You have to thin them down first of course, but it will go on smoothly and with a finish similar to aerosol sealants.

Also if I can ask, which particular head/character are you trying to seal?
<>My Tumblr<>My Etsy<>Come chat!<>
Too many dolls, I give up.
SillyLilPuppet
Dolly Pardon

Postby SymphonicEnkelli » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:07 pm

Trethowan wrote:There's probably half a can of MSC floating around in my lungs. (I'm exaggerating)

It's only non-toxic when it dries. Breathing Krylon, Vallejo, or any of the others is just as bad as breathing MSC, I think.

Well, crud, there is no way I can win. Not that I breathe this stuff in. I always spray the stuff outside. Might just invest in a respirator and take the plunge into MSC. :P

Is your sealant only not working on the one head now, or does that can not work on any heads? I know a number of sealants start acting up if they get too hot or cold in storage (or just get too old).

Also has it been particularly humid during your recent attempts? My projects take so much longer to dry here in Kansas (high humidity) compared to Colorado (low humidity).

It is just this one head, which it actually worked on prior. It just randomly stopped working and now I think the head is just not suitable for anything anymore. I highly doubt have to strip it of paint twice is doing me any favors.

As for humidity, I do live in VA, but the sealant has worked before and I was using during the less humid winters, so I don't think it is the humidity.

By the way, you can actually apply most acrylic based brush on sealants with an airbrush. You have to thin them down first of course, but it will go on smoothly and with a finish similar to aerosol sealants.

Also if I can ask, which particular head/character are you trying to seal?

Perhaps I should invest in an airbrush.

And I'm trying to seal a Rochelle monster high head.
SymphonicEnkelli
Dollmatians

Postby victoriavictrix » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:16 pm

I'd bet that what happened was you didn't get all the stripping chemicals off. So when you sprayed again, the residue reacted with the sealant and gave you gum.

Rule of thumb that has always worked for me was:

Strip
Wash with mild soap and water
Swab with 90% rubbing alcohol
Wash with mild soap and water
Rinse, rinse, rinse, preferably with distilled water
Let dry
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Trethowan » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:09 pm

SymphonicEnkelli wrote:
Trethowan wrote:There's probably half a can of MSC floating around in my lungs. (I'm exaggerating)

Well, crud, there is no way I can win. Not that I breathe this stuff in. I always spray the stuff outside. Might just invest in a respirator and take the plunge into MSC. :P

I use a respirator for any kind of aerosol sprays. Better safe than getting lung cancer.

And when I suggested Krylon I should have thought about the fact that 90% of my work is on resin. I've not used it on vinyl so I have no experience. Sorry, I should have considered that before posting.
Trethowan

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks