Go to footer

Help with sticky figurine?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Help with sticky figurine?

Postby SetsunaKou » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:25 pm

Hi, everyone, I hope you can help me. ^^

I've been using Apoxie Sculpt for years and never really had this problem before. I've just made a batch of 12 small resin figures, which when I removed from the molds had some irregularities. I smoothed and fixed them using Apoxie Sculpt and they all looked great! I went about painting them yesterday them using acrylics and noticed a few had acquired some 'shiny' spots, particularly where I applied the Apoxie sculpt (down the seams, etc).
Today, I finished their paint jobs, and I noticed that one of them (just one) was STILL shiny and when I touch the shiny parts, it's a tad tacky. Not super sticky, but....not not. 0_o

So I sprayed my Volks ZM powder spray on him, hoping to cover the stickiness with a matte varnish. (The Voks ZM powder is SUPER matte, it even has powder in it which gives it a super flat/matte-ness to it.)

Well, that didn't work. The tacky parts just got tackier. I mean, I know that happens on vinyls, but this is resin and Apoxie sculpt.

So, then I took my super flat spray that makes everything look it has a frosted grey coating, it's so matte. This ALWAYS does the trick and I don't like to use it because it causes that frosty appearance, but I was desperate to get this thing non-sticky/flat. This appeared to work a bit, but still, the shiny sections are still rather shiny and tacky.

All I can think of is that I didn't mix the Apoxie Sculpt properly (ack, I can't believe that! But, I've been trying NOT to use my arms too much because of my torn rotator cuff. Maybe I didn't knead it enough due to that. :( ) It's not soft though, which I know happens to not mixed right Apoxie sculpt. I'm just at a loss.)

I have brush on Liquitex matte varnish that might work but it's not super flat, so I didn't use it yet. However, I think I'll give it a whirl since the two super flat sprays didn't work. (I know sprays are touchy on vinyls and such, but not resin?!)

I'd rather not totally redo him, so I thought I'd ask around here if anyone had any advice on how to dry such a problem or any suggestions?

Unfortunately, I can't really buy anything special online, because these are gifts for my dad's birthday on Saturday, so there's no time left to get anything in to fix it. :shock:

I know I was cutting it close for the birthday, but my arm/shoulder has really caused me to fall back on projects. ^^;;

Anyway, is there any solution to fix this or should I just remake him entirely? Thanks for any and all advice and suggestions! :hugs: You're all the best!
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Re: Help with sticky figurine?

Postby maywong » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:08 pm

That has happen to me too. I believe it is caused by not mixing the 2 parts equally. My guess would be not enough of the hardener. I haven't figure out what to do yet. I might to try and sand it, then maybe reapply a thin layer over it.
I have to wait until the weather here gets warmer to see if this works.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby SetsunaKou » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:39 pm

That's what I figured, but my sister just stripped him of all the paint and the Apoxie sculpt is hardened underneath. ^^;; It's so strange!

Anyway, we're now washing him with soap and water, and then I'm going to scrub him all over with tea tree oil.

I'll have to redo his paint job entirely but hopefully, this will save the figure and we won't have to pour another.

I'll let you know how it works out!
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby zirconmermaid » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:37 am

Avoid the oil!! Cleaning off the paint and various coating is the way to go. Then let him sit in a warm place for a while. You are getting inter-reactions with the various solvents used for all the different sprays and the apoxie sculpt. You are correct about the curing and parts being the issue. Clean him with alcohol, not oil. Also - do you use a primer? If you are fully painting the figure I suggest this. Actually, Gerald is the one suggesting this.
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks