Go to footer

Doll making books

Patient enough to take us step-by-step through a how-to? Well post it here!

Re: Doll making books

Postby DollyKim » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:24 pm

Two new books from Korea, please forgive me for not having the slightest idea how to read them. They aren't as step by step by step as the Japanese books but you can figure out what's going on http://dolfielittles.typepad.com/blog/2 ... ooks-.html

"Ball jointed doll making guide" ISBN 978-89-31-7442-5
Has an unusual step of mold making with plaster then using Fando clay. Has patterns in the back for the doll and a dress and shows how to make a wig cap but might challenge an absolute beginner who's never messed with clay and plaster.

ISBN 89-5624-242-9 I call this one "Pink Bow"
A bit more beginner friendly, could be used in place of the Yoshida or Alice book, has a novel approach to making the core which can be made a bit more "green". No patterns but a bit more step by step, has a face-up guide and a rather useful way of prepping loose hair for wefting.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:57 pm

Creating Lifelike Figures in Polymer Clay http://www.amazon.com/Creating-Lifelike ... lymer+clay

It's for static pose figures but it has "life size" patterns and diagrams for 1/6, 1/8, and 1/12 figures. How to make realistic bodies and faces and even a mold for eyes. One of the best realistic sculpting books I have ever seen.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:34 am

A book to pass on, the "Cocoa book" because of the author's name. I've seen it turn up on Ebay way over priced, found it at Very Cool Things at a reasonable price. Looks like the reason you never see what's inside is because it's cartoon instructions instead of photographs or technical drawings. Not much of a use to non Japanese readers.

DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby SillyLilPuppet » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:48 pm

I've gotten scans of what I think might be the Yoshida book off a Japanese magazine community. I can't tell since they replaced the cover with some randomly added in screenshots of various doll sites. Not sure if its ok to link the book here since its a scan and not a purchasable book?
<>My Tumblr<>My Etsy<>Come chat!<>
Too many dolls, I give up.
SillyLilPuppet
Dolly Pardon

Postby DollyKim » Wed May 01, 2013 7:00 am

I don't want to link to anywhere to get scans or downloads that would disrespect the original copyright. Being a doll book author I wouldn't want someone to do that to me. Sending a PM too, don't worry, it's nice.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby SillyLilPuppet » Wed May 01, 2013 4:02 pm

I was under the impression it was out of print, given the often very inflated prices online for it (does anyone remember when it was over $100 on Amazon?), otherwise I wouldn't have posted about it. It was on a site of magazine scans, so all books that are on a fairly limited run. I really did download it by accident, was looking for older hard to find issues of Dollybird.
<>My Tumblr<>My Etsy<>Come chat!<>
Too many dolls, I give up.
SillyLilPuppet
Dolly Pardon

Postby DollyKim » Wed May 01, 2013 5:25 pm

Inflated prices can be a problem with these books because people will charge what they think the market will handle as in any hobby. Check Etsy and places like Hobby Link Japan and Very Cool Things that deal with Japanese imports. I've shopped around and averaged $40 for my books because I refuse to pay stupid prices. Often Japanese craft books will be reprinted in simplified Chinese awhile later and sellers like Jpop books will get them.

Another reason I review the different books is to show a substitute incase you can't find the Yoshida book. Any of them except for the brown cover one will suffice, some are just more detailed or have better ways of doing things.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Tue May 07, 2013 6:49 am

This book came in and it's fabulous! It's from the makers of the Alice book. A link to a blog post with more pictures ASAP.

This will work as a "from scratch" book BUT it's less detailed on some of the step by step by step sculpting pictures. It comes with full size drawings to base your doll making pattern on as well as clothes patterns. It has how to do a body joint. This one shines in having pictures of what the inside holes of the dolls should be shaped like and how the joint sockets should be shaped so the balls sit better in them. So in a way it works as a "part two" to the Alice book when you're ready to take the next sculpting step.

After you've sculpted your doll this book shows how to make a mold, using Legos and what I'm guessing is silicone and other easy enough to find supplies, and cast pieces out of resin. A translation would be helpful but you can make out what's going on. The mold making advice is very helpful and has great diagrams that make sense. Serious molders will want to add Pop Sculpture to this for English instructions and working with plastics.

More about the book http://dolfielittles.typepad.com/blog/2 ... -book.html
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Tutorials