Go to footer

Centaur making

Patient enough to take us step-by-step through a how-to? Well post it here!

Re: Centaur making

Postby DollyKim » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:27 pm

I'm happy enough with Roger's shape, it's his skin I'm not content with. If he's cast in plaster or wax it's so I can sand here and there better and refine his muscles and have copy horse forms to attempt jointing with. Haven't made up my mind if he's getting feathered or not yet. My sister has an American Walking Pony no taller than her so the "short" part doesn't bother me too much. I can't say for his finished height until he gets his human end on.

*Made a quicky Instamold of Roger, used up most of it too, and poured plaster in. Will let it sit overnight to see what I get. Was reminded how hit and miss the Instamold can be if you look at it funny but Roger came out unhurt.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:57 am

I HATE PLASTER I don't do molds PLASTER HATES ME

The Instamold half of the idea worked.
The pouring of the plaster part worked. My experience with the heads taught me to pour the plaster while the mold was fresh or gravity would squish it.
And no matter what I do plaster hates me.

Please don't tell me how to do plaster. The heads I made this way came out. I want to believe it has something to do with structural issues with Roger's form. Instamold is like thick Jell-o, the original Roger released from a seam down his back and bum, I pulled the mold apart to remove the plaster positive. Sitting in the mold longer wouldn't have made a difference as my experiments with the heads proved. A two part mold wouldn't have helped as the Instamold would have stuck to its self. Any casting needs to be done while the mold is fresh because it shrinks and collapses with gravity a bit as it dries.

If I ever bother to use Instamold again it will be for push molds or smaller glove molds of heads. I have Mold Builder but with it's issues of sticking to its self I'm not going to try and get four legs and an undercarriage to release. I don't think I'm messing with Amazing Mold Putty, long story short I don't want the greasy mess on Roger.
Roger got his hooves and I shall proceed on his human half shortly.

*The problem is definitely with Roger's design, the Instamold and plaster would have worked. He released fine, the plaster poured without leaking, the mold peeled away. It appears the knobby Rigid Wrap knees on the original are what keeps him together. A 3 part mold would be best at this stage, one part under his tummy and inside of his legs and two for each half otherwise, would be the way to go but it's beyond my abilities at the moment. I can see a 2 part with Amazing Mold Putty, legs and belly in one half, back in the other, might work. This would need something to prop it up. AMP is rubbery, and greasy. I can see doing a glove mold all the way around his horse half, did this with some heads, then cutting a seam along the back to get him out. The problem comes with something to help prop the mold up for the pour and seam repair. Head molds I could hold in my hand, seams and any place that had got to thin tended to leak.

I've pretty much decided to finish Roger a he is. Any further Manimals will need to be done in a different way.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:19 pm

Trying something to give him jointed arms. Building up the body.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Jade_Hunter » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:22 pm

looks cool so far...
Jade_Hunter

Postby DollyKim » Wed May 05, 2010 2:04 pm

Laughing a bit about this now. I cut off the old human body, and well made arms, and tossed them in the parts box because they are not harmonious with his horse half. Know what I mean? A more harmonious static pose body will be made with the idea of finishing him.

Still no idea what to do for his tail.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Mon May 17, 2010 10:33 am

Just in case you wondered where all those My Little Ponies came from...
Hello, ladies, I'm Roger. Now let's remember the rules, you can only ride Roger if Roger can ride you.
A little dry work is needed on the eyes but I like this one much much better than the last one.

Showing off his tail, it's not really put on yet this will be after he's painted and the hole needs to be bigger.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Wed May 19, 2010 9:49 am

Getting closer to finishing

He'll get hands from the parts bin, an old pair I made for the first Roger, another session or two and I can paint and finish. My luck with LaDoll he's cracking. I have ways of fixing that in the pre painting stage.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Jade_Hunter » Thu May 20, 2010 12:34 am

interesting,....he looks like Jimmi page to me....
Jade_Hunter

Postby DollyKim » Thu May 20, 2010 6:59 am

Similar but Jimmy's face is wider, flatter, his nose smaller, and his hair parts on the side. He'll look more Roger like after today, the way I do their faces I can only do so much until parts are dry.

One thing with LaDoll is if it gets too wet when you're working with it it turns in to a paste. The curlies were a bit tricky, I'd make them then have to dip them in water to make sure they'd stick to the head. Not the same as making curlies with the Apoxie Sculpt.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Thu May 20, 2010 9:16 am

Jut needs a bit on the tip of his nose and shape the right eyebrow but I can do that when I paint.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Tutorials