Go to footer

Making a duo neck guitar

Patient enough to take us step-by-step through a how-to? Well post it here!

Making a duo neck guitar

Postby DollyKim » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:12 am

Because you can't play Stairway to Heaven without one. Full entry here http://dolfielittles.typepad.com/blog/2 ... -tiem.html
You need 2 flat sticks, a scrap of foam core, red, black, silver, and brown paint. Prep sealer and gloss final sealer.
Use a simular scale guitar, or a printed out picture of one, to make the body out of foam core.
The necks are trimmed to be the same size as the other guitar, with some overlapping on the body. The heads are scored and bent back at an angle but not entirely severed. The 12 string is about half as much longer than the 6 sting. 12 on top 6 on bottom for a right handed guitar.
The body is red which is the correct color for Jimmy Page's real guitar, I based the whole thing in black first as my doll making red was very thin. I had to use very thick gummy red.
The neck is brown, a black pick guard, pick-ups, knobs, and other odds and ends are painted on.
The frets, edges of the pick guard, knobs, and switches are done in silver. The pick ups of the 12 string are silver, black on the 6 string.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Re: Making a duo neck guitar

Postby Jade_Hunter » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:23 pm

woow wwooww
Jade_Hunter

Postby DollyKim » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:57 pm

Thanks, I just ordered some supplies to try a slightly different idea as well.

I am a bit befuddled how to make proper heads for this one, if anyone has any ideas.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby leopardessmoon » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:56 pm

which part is the head? you could use plasticard and plastic tubeing cut in slices to make bits and knobs to glue on. or even sewing pins, just snip off most of the pin with wire cutters and shove it into the foamcore. then you can use the strait pin parts to glue on for the fret things to give them a raised look. or wire if that is too large.
leopardessmoon

Postby DollyKim » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:15 am

The heads are the end of the necks that are tilted back, where the tuning knobs for the strings go. The should be wider than the neck. Pins are an idea but their heads are a bit too big. Seed beans might work but I still need to put some thinner foam core or thick paper on them to give them a bit of shape.
1 is the head/headsock
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Fri May 07, 2010 9:50 am

DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby leopardessmoon » Wed May 12, 2010 12:01 am

way cool! great kitbashing!
leopardessmoon

Return to Board index