Go to footer

Boil Perms!

Patient enough to take us step-by-step through a how-to? Well post it here!

Boil Perms!

Postby SillyLilPuppet » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:22 pm

So, was gonna style my little Obitsu's hair up today and figured I might as well make a tutorial of it, since there's been a couple mentions on here of perms lately. So, heres what you'll need.
Comb, curlers, bobby pins, and a towel. You will also need your doll to be permed of course, and a pot of water. If you don't have curlers, you can use drinking straws cut in half(normal ones for tight curls, milkshake straws or bubble tea straws for bigger curls)
This is today's victim/star, who looks just thrilled. As you can see, I'm more than halfway done with getting the curls rolled up, but you can see how stick straight that lock of hair is originally. To start out, you'll want to separate out the hair into however many sections (I did six, cuz I had six curlers D:) Try to layer them on top each other instead of vertical strips, it'll make the curls lay more naturally.
I'm doing loose wavy curls, so I'm rolling bottom to top. For more spiral-y ones roll top to bottom, and twist the lock of hair as you go. (I might add pics of this later) Secure each curler with a bobby pin when finished.
Poor thing looks scared doesn't she? Lets give her a friend for the boiling-pot....
(Fluttershy: "Meep!" )
On Fluttershy I'm only trying to curl the bottom of her hair, hence the curlers not being all rolled up.
Now I couldn't take a pic of the actual boiling without fear of dropping both camera and doll into the pot, so I'll just describe it. You'll want to boil the water (it might not work on some fibers if its not actually *boiling*, and some fibers don't take well to boiling at all, so check what you're working with first!!!! ) and then carefully dip the doll's hair into the water. Use tongs if possible, you really don't want to burn your hand. If your doll has a painted face, you might not want to let that go in the water too much if possible. Make sure the hair all gets equal time in the water, and don't let it touch the sides or bottom of the pot. Different hair takes different amount of time to fully set, I usually go two minutes or so.
Remove the doll and lay her in the towel (she will be VERY HOT). Don't unroll her hair until she's cooled down, and if you're really worried about the curls setting, leave it to dry fully before undoing it. I wanted loose curls on my girls, so I just waited until they had cooled down. Unfortunately camera ate the pic of the girls with fresh-from-the-curlers hair. Its super sproingy and curly and sticks up strange when first unrolled. After a bit of drying and combing, it looks like this:

This also works on wigs, though you REALLY need tongs for that. Here's a wig I curled for Mizzy:
And one I straightened, just dip the wig repeatedly in the water and let it hang straight to dry.

If I can find the batch of ponies with permed ringlets I did recently, I'll post the pictures and instructions here as well.
<>My Tumblr<>My Etsy<>Come chat!<>
Too many dolls, I give up.
SillyLilPuppet
Dolly Pardon

Re: Boil Perms!

Postby Lexagon » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:48 pm

Oh hooray! :D and where did you get that red wig do you remember?
Lexagon
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby SillyLilPuppet » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:57 pm

Came in my Mystery Pack from Goodreau. They don't have any more MSD girl packs unfortunately. I can't find it on their site, the closest thing is this wig here though that looks a bit shorter, with bangs, and not as curly as the one I have was, pre-boil straightening. Its not the only mystery item that was in their either, still can't find that lovely Victorian styled white gown I got either.
SillyLilPuppet
Dolly Pardon

Postby DollyKim » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:20 pm

Thanks for the straitening tip, I'm gonna need that.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby SillyLilPuppet » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:53 pm

You can also try sitting whatever it is you're straightening in the sink, if its a wig I'd put it on a sturdy stand or something with a ball of tin foil in to hold the shape, and pouring a tea kettle of boiling water over it. Did that with a pony once, worked perfectly and makes the hair flow very naturally.
SillyLilPuppet
Dolly Pardon

Postby Evelien » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:45 pm

Your first victim is so pretty! Are those decals..?
European dealer for Captured in Glass doll eyes
Flickr | Ipernity
"I suspect Evelien doesn't go around wearing a little white lace hat and wooden shoes." -cirquemom
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Postby SillyLilPuppet » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:17 pm

No, she's hand painted. Still not sure if I wanna try to redo it or not though, was trying to catch the style of a certain manga I like and it doesn't look right :(
SillyLilPuppet
Dolly Pardon

Postby Jobee » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:18 pm

She looks adorable, i wouldn't change it.

Thank you so much for this. I've tried to do boil perms with all sorts of wacky items that different tutorials have recommended. It's good to know I can just use plain curlers!
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby Skitterbug » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:12 pm

Oh I love your girl's faceup! Her eyebrows make her look a bit worried to me, but those EYES ARE GORGEOUS! And that's coming from someone who isn't usually fond of anime painted face. swoon!
Skitterbug
dolliehs are watching me O.O;

Return to Board index

Return to Tutorials