Go to footer

Making a LaDoll doll

Patient enough to take us step-by-step through a how-to? Well post it here!

Making a LaDoll doll

Postby DollyKim » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:56 am

The first of many posts on making a doll with Premiere and LaDoll clay. http://dolfielittles.typepad.com/blog/2 ... -doll.html
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Re: Making a LaDoll doll

Postby Kirahfaye » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:33 pm

I'm looking forward to watching how this turns out!
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby DollyKim » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:03 am

Morning after- Premiere has dried whiter than anything I've used, so does CrafPorcelain but that is somewhat translucent. The thickness on the tube is about 1/8 of an inch, maybe thinner, so far it feels tougher than other things I've used but I haven't put another layer on yet. Still it's not cracking under the pressure of a gentle squeeze. I can put a mark in the surface with my finger nail.

This is smoother than the "cheaper" air dry clays and I would recommend it for the top layer and thinner parts like fingers. Bulking up and practice pieces can still be done with other stuff.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby leopardessmoon » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:54 pm

great! I am interested in the various air dry clays myself and your opinion of them will be very helpfull to me! thanks!
leopardessmoon

Postby DollyKim » Sun May 02, 2010 10:13 am

Premiere is some tough stuff, compared to the other clays I've used, so it's a good idea to make any joins early or have a chain saw. Not exactly a chain saw but a good blade that won't snap.
2 part joint for my doll, joint under the ribs. Shaping is still needed. I cut out the leg socket joints too.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Fri May 07, 2010 9:51 am

~exchanges unopened brick of LaDoll for Premiere~
Yeah, the LaDoll its self doesn't feel much different from DAS or Paperclay that I'm using on Roger. If you're going to spend the money stick with Premiere, much smoother, lighter, nicer feeling.

*When put on the doll base made of Premiere the LaDoll cracked, when put on a base of Rigid Wrap and crumpled paper the LaDoll did okay. I still don't think it's worth the price compared to the other stuff unless you plan to mix it with Premiere as the company says can happen.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Tue May 25, 2010 3:34 pm

Wow, been awhile since I updated this. Not very much going on yet. The body is looking pretty good, a toilet tissue tube made a great base. Cutting for the waist and hop sockets works well when there's about 1 cm of clay on.

What didn't initially work was the straws inside the limbs. I did catch on to that early enough to fix it with only a smidge of clay on the straws which can be tossed in to the parts box. What does work is wrapping a straw with paper, not too tightly, and then a layer of Rigid Wrap. When dry remove the straw and build up from there. Have put clay on the arms but not the legs yet.

I'm now at the point where I have to decide how to bulk up the legs with the least amount of clay and weight but having enough on there to hold hem together. With paper and Rigid Wrap inside, now that I'm getting better at using it, hollowing out the string hole with a rat tail rasp and little wasted clay should go well. Now That I've started on hip balls I'll have to adjust the hip sockets. Haven't done much on the arm sockets but there are guide holes.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:40 pm

Able to work on the doll again after a bit of a rest. Got the legs somewhat finished but still in one piece. The next step is making the hips bigger to fit them then making the rest of the body in proportion. Might be aiming towards a girl with curves.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:05 pm

Getting somewhere. Hands and feet, elbows and knees, and head soon. No real gender, just the goal of getting a finished doll.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby leopardessmoon » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:05 pm

looks like it is starting to come together!
leopardessmoon

Return to Board index

Return to Tutorials