Go to footer

Jointed polymer clay doll tutorials

Patient enough to take us step-by-step through a how-to? Well post it here!

Jointed polymer clay doll tutorials

Postby DollyKim » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:11 pm

**An earlier project from this site, more of a BJD http://morezmore.com/myblog/2010/01/02/bjd-1/
Found this in my travels http://morezmore.com/myblog/2011/07/14/putin1/

Using straws as a base is a good idea, I can't think they'd withstand the baking so I'm trying to figure out how that works out. Otherwise there's some good ideas here.

*I don't think baking on the straws is a good idea, plastic makes nasty fumes, I'm just curious how they did it. And It's a pretty neat way to do a doll.
Last edited by DollyKim on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Re: Jointed polymer clay doll with straws?

Postby Alopecia No Hime » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:36 pm

I know Kayanah of DeviantART made a small BJD out of polymer clay.

http://kayanah.deviantart.com/gallery/? ... l#/d3bd11b

It looks like she used cardboard rolls.
~*~Storm Uchiha~*~
Alopecia No Hime
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:31 am

She says dowels in the description, that's got me pondering how much wood you can put in to one of these. I got a copy of Fantastic Figures by Susan Oroyman(sp?) and she said she'd put her heads in the oven still on their nails and wood base.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:30 pm

For the straw angle I figured out cover a straw with foil then put a layer of clay over that. Remove the straw and bake. It makes a nice hollow channel to build upon for a strung doll. Make sure the clay is thick enough not to break, it's possible to do a bit of forming work while the straw is still inside. It's easiest if the straws are pre cut to the lengths you'd want, upper and lower arms, upper and lower legs.

Again make sure the straws have been taken out of the polymer clay before baking.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Re: Jointed polymer clay doll tutorials

Postby TasiaChiba » Fri May 18, 2012 3:41 pm

It's very possible she removed the straws prior to baking, though she would run the risk of the clay pulling and warping as she did so. However, it's also highly possible she simply boiled the clay. Polymer clays, such as Super Sculpey, can be boiled in water to cook it rather than baking. It helps to prevent burned clay and tons of "moonies" from showing up. Afterwards, just pull the straws out!

However, I totally prefer using wood, especially since I bake my sculptures and I don't have to worry about the straw bending or flattening. (I really should boil... >_<;) I tend to root around for cheap, easy to find materials, so here's a few of my suggestions for wooden armatures. Depending on the size of your project, the sizes will vastly vary:

• toothpicks
  • wooden dowels (lots of places have these rather cheap in their craft section. For example, Wal-Mart sells a pack for $1 that has a variety of sizes perfect for SD and MSD sized dollies: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kids-Craft-Ro ... s/19613459 These are the exact ones I have and use.)

These are what I stick to, but I've also used random things like pencils without their tops, paintbrush handles, wooden cotton q-tips with cotton removed, and even the brass stand part of a baritone sax! (Though, I took the brass stand out before baking...) Really, if the size fits your scale, and it's safe to bake or boil, I say go for it. ^_~

I would also suggest carefully pulling the wooden armatures out before the sculpture fully cools and while the clay is still pliable, just so you don't have too much fuss pulling them out once hardened. It's also good to cut your sculpture apart while it's in this warm stage, too, fyi. The x-acto knife slips through the clay just like butter. *_* If you let your sculpt harden but still need to cut it apart, you can re-warm it up and it'll become pliable again. /o/ For everything else, I rely on my trusty dremel. =pets her bebe=
http://eof.cloverpetals.com/images/dolliehsignature.png
Tasia@DA // Ends of Fate (BJD Site) // ResinAngel@DA (BJD)
Jacera (DM Lilis Liv) | Bríean (CP Shiwoo Vampire) | Inathe (Unoa Lusis) | Graeme (DS Saint) +moar~
TasiaChiba
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby BadCandy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:20 am

I cook my polymer clay in a bowl of water in the microwave, I've had good results and I imagine it would allow for straw channels ect.
Instagram makes me a better photographer, rite? LOLZ. Siggie under construction.
BadCandy
dolliehs are watching me O.O;

Postby DollyKim » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:41 am

I have been having luck with using foil wrapped knitting needles to hold pieces while sculpting. It's allowed me to sculpt full limbs on a solid base then score where the elbow or knee will go. The needles are removed before cooking as I don't know what kind of metal they are. I am guessing wooden skewers or chopsticks can be left inside during cooking.

With some heads I've been using a wooden base to make the head then bake them on. A paper clay/mache base could be used instead then carved out when finished.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby yarwel » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:23 am

DollyKim wrote: I am guessing wooden skewers or chopsticks can be left inside during cooking.

Yes, you can leave wood inside during baking and the pieces should come right off. That's what I did when making dracula-chan. Bamboo skewers which are available at most grocery stores now, work particularly well for small pieces.
yarwel
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:29 pm

I'll make a point to look for some then.

And all safety precautions with polymer clay say not to use a microwave for curing or styrofoam for a base. A good coupon and a dedicated craft oven are best. I haven't burned anything since I got mine.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby yarwel » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:18 pm

With the craft oven just remember to "tent" with foil to prevent scorching and don't try to cram anything too big into there because it will burn if it touching the top of the oven or the foil.
yarwel
the walls have dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Tutorials