Go to footer

Question on Lining for Experienced Folk

Fabric, patterns and insider knowledge. This is the place if you're too poor to pay someone else for your dollieh dresses.

Question on Lining for Experienced Folk

Postby Trethowan » Thu May 15, 2014 9:29 pm

Hi there folks. Since my post-baby hormone-crazed body can't seem to handle any heat above 40 degrees (I wish I were kidding) I've had an idea.

The notion of wearing anything other than sheer cotton makes me cringe. I do love sundresses but that awful satin lining is like wearing a heat-generator.

What do you think about using wicking fabric as a lining for sundresses? I have patterns and fabric out the wazoo. I looked online and have so far just found wicking lycra but I am not sure lycra would make a suitable lining for a cotton sundress. I know there are other non-lycra wicking fabrics but I've not found them yet. I'm still doing some searching in between baby feedings and play time. hehehe

What do you guys think about that idea in general? What type of wicking material do you suggest?
Trethowan
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Re: Question on Lining for Experienced Folk

Postby zirconmermaid » Thu May 15, 2014 11:07 pm

I have always liked lining my costumes and garments with cotton. I suggest muslin. 100% cotton. It looks great! I have been doing this for over 25 years!
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby Trethowan » Fri May 16, 2014 6:57 am

But does it have the wicking properties that pull the moisture away and keep the skin feeling cool? I have a wicking t-shirt and it's amazing. I want to line my clothes with that fabric, but I'm not sure how it will behave underneath a layer of cotton.
Trethowan

Postby richila » Fri May 16, 2014 7:25 am

I found the fabric you want, but I can't figure out where to buy it unless you buy a t-shirt and cut it up
http://www.nano-tex.com/technologies/dry_inside.html
It is a specialized cotton that wicks.
richila
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby Trethowan » Sun May 25, 2014 9:52 am

I've seen the stuff in a few online fabric shops. It's pretty expensive but even if I just line the top half it would probably be doable. Eh, by the time I get around to fixing up the basement and sewing area it will be autumn and I won't need any summer dresses. hahahahahaha...
Trethowan

Postby E-Beth » Tue May 27, 2014 10:16 pm

Rockywoods is an online fabric store that has a whole category of wicking fabrics. Here's the link
http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/Wickaway-Fabrics

I generally would line woven materials with woven and knit with knit.

I like a lawn-weight linen cotton blend for summer tops for my menopausal sweat-machine. Or just cotton lawn. Or Swiss dot in prints.
I've been making a lot of the Sobretto top from Colette patterns. It's a free pattern!
E-Beth
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby Trethowan » Wed May 28, 2014 8:26 am

Ooh, woven for woven, knit for knit, I'd not have thought of that. Thanks!!!

ha! yes. I'm a sweat machine. And a milk machine. :-p

Free patterns are always awesome! I bought an adorable sundress pattern on Amazon (has this fun 50s feel to it) so I'm going to attempt one of those. I have skads of cotton lying around so maybe I'll finally use some of it.
Trethowan

Return to Board index

Return to Total Sewing