Go to footer

How do you organize your thread?

Fabric, patterns and insider knowledge. This is the place if you're too poor to pay someone else for your dollieh dresses.

How do you organize your thread?

Postby WhiteDove01s » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:19 am

I'm trying to get my sewing things into something approximating order. So far I have learned the following details of use in this plan:

I like those pretty thread racks that let you organize all your thread neatly and by color, but do not have the space for them.

An estimate from various references is that the average sized spool of thread fills approximately 2 1/2 generic plastic bobbins. Personal and very recent experience shows that those itty-bitty spools of cheap colored polyester thread that come in sewing starter kits and dollar store packs fill about half a bobbin.

Three bobbins take up less space than one average sized spool of thread.

They make these really cheap (as in less than $3 and free shipping on Amazon) bobbin organizer boxes with clear lids.

So, currently, my plan is to get a bunch of cheap plastic bobbins and put ALL my thread on bobbins and sort it by color in the organizers. Presumably, this will allow me to find whichever color I want quickly and easily. And I can just as easily put a second bobbin where the spool goes on my sewing machine as I could a spool. It fits on there just a wee bit wobbly, but the cheapo spools are even worse and the machine handles tension issues anyway, right?

So, while pondering this plan and the eventual taming of my disorganized mess of thread, I just had to wonder and ask... how does everyone else here who sews organize their thread? (Or do you just toss it in a box, like I was doing... XD)
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Re: How do you organize your thread?

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:18 am

I have a box tray for my spool threads. Its organized in color gradiant. But by the time I finished sewing an outfit it becomes a mess and remains in order of usage level...Ok ok! So sometimes I buy thread for fabrics but never got around to using them, I should start organizing again. If anything I bought the box to keep my needles and the needle threader and buttons.

The bobbined threads have their own special little box made for bobbins. Kinda like it since it just means that I don't have to rethread unless I run out of bobbins.
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby WhiteDove01s » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:06 am

Iwa_Hoshi wrote:If anything I bought the box to keep my needles and the needle threader and buttons.

That reminds me of an odd lil idea I had for needles, too. I'm thinking of getting a roll of magnet tape eventually and sticking it somewhere convenient and then seeing if the needles will stay on it. Much easier to sort em and see sizes and such than when they're in a pincushion... at least that's the plan... XD
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:18 pm

WhiteDove01s wrote: I'm thinking of getting a roll of magnet tape eventually and sticking it somewhere convenient and then seeing if the needles will stay on it.

Ah Ha! I have loose tiny magnets rolling around from another project. But didn't quite connect on taping it to ise for the needles part. :lol: :lol:
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby WhiteDove01s » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:07 pm

I remembered we get the same kind of magnet stuff the tape is (maybe a bit weaker) free here sometimes as little advertisements in the mail. They're the sort that are sent out in hopes people will stick them on the fridge and remember the business hat way. I checked to see if there were some we hadn't tossed and got to give the experiment a try.

They will hold needles, but only just barely. Most of the needle needs to be on the magnet and they come off easy... and will also go everywhere if the magnet is shaken. (Yes, I tried. XD) Of course, I tried with the big embroidery and upholstery needles first. And they will hold even if I hold the magnet so they're upside down. So I think it's a success.

I may still wait on the slightly stronger magnet tape, though. Two of my largest needles roll off this from their own weight, and the others are still held on pretty weak. But it shows that something a little better should work great. :)
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:59 am

My magnets are the type typically found in BJD headcaps and Obitsu feet. They are from Daiso, although some hobby store sells them.

My situation was "Darn magnet! why you keep pulling off the wire for the needle threader!"

Granted I tend to stick my needle to the nearest magnetic feet Obitsu when I'm sewing, since they love to sit on the table shelf with their feet dangling off the edge.
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby oniakki » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:10 pm

Organize? What's this organize you speak of? ^.~

I've been meaning to build one of those thread pegboards (like the one shown here), but at the moment they're all just living loose in a box. At least they're mostly all together.
oniakki
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby E-Beth » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:24 pm

I use plastic boxes that are for organizing craft supplies. Or fishing lures. They usually have removable dividers. One box is for poly thread and one for cotton and one for weird things like topstitching thread and silk. If I have bobbins wound from a particular spool, the bobbins (I have three machines and three different size bobbins) and the spool all go in the same divided section. When space is tight, or all I have are wound bobbins left, all the blues go together, same for reds and etc.
The only time all the thread is put away in the boxes is right after a sewing room clean up. Otherwise, the spools and bobbins recently removed from a machine sit around on the table, sometimes making a dive for the floor.
E-Beth

Postby DollyKim » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:59 pm

Cardboard treasure chest + print outs of vintage thread cards =

Lace making threads but still threads.

I use mint tins for pins and needles, they stay closed. There's a bit of magnet tape on the project card form my embroidery floss and that's been a big help keeping track of that needle. I have a thread rack but it usually has 1/6 heads on it.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby oniakki » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:08 pm

DollyKim wrote:I have a thread rack but it usually has 1/6 heads on it.

Spoils of war? Oh, maybe a warning to other dollies about what happens when they play with the sewing machine! ^.~
oniakki

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Total Sewing