Go to footer

Sewing machine problem

Fabric, patterns and insider knowledge. This is the place if you're too poor to pay someone else for your dollieh dresses.

Re: Sewing machine problem

Postby Shyla » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:40 am

I've got 2 Brothers machines and neither has a spool cushion. Both have some ...tension issues, and both do the thread jumping. I put a piece of craft felt on the newer one which helped a lot with the jumping. Both were bargain machines (black friday and a mother's day sale) from ....walmart.
my tumblr
my flickr
Ciero (RS Mu), Viridia (Gem of Doll Snowy on Resinsoul Ai body), Celia (RS Sophia), Nerri (IOS Luce) and Valnar (IOS Jaguar)
Shyla
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby Jezrah » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:34 am

Huh, weird, I had that problem with a bargain Brother from Walmart too. Mine also had tension problems with the bobbin where the thread would get stuck somewhere and break off no matter how I threaded it or what thread I used. I got too frustrated with it and got a higher quality Singer from Joann's.
The Resin: Nerina (RS sky blue Mei)

The Small Wonder: currently unnamed 11cm Obitsu

The DDs: Ayano, Mitsuki, Akira, Kotone, Selena, Ichigo, Lydia, Hiroki, Kate, Hikari
Jezrah
i see dead dolliehs

Postby WhiteDove01s » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:10 am

Ok, so, along with the rest it's definitely looking like 'save for a better sewing machine' should be on my list of things to do. XD
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby ShadowKat » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:17 pm

I have an ancient (70s to 80s) model Brother, a VX-880, that was my mother's. After it sitting pretty much my entire life (24 years +), it still runs like a dream. I did have to do a thorough cleaning on it, and I oiled it where the manual told me to (I still have the original manual plus all the original accessories that came with including a fancy double needle that I really want to try out but haven't had the chance. I believe my mother used it a couple times then boxed everything back up until she gave it to me last year).

I did have tension issues where it constantly snapped the thread, but that was due to the tension being set about 3-4 notches too high. I also had to clean the bobbin holder like 3 different times to get it running smoothly. Fresh wound bobbins help.

I have no trouble out of my spools, but my machines has a small white plastic ring around the spool holder that I'm not sure if it's a cushion? I thought it was part of the mechanism that let the spool holder extend out and back into the machine. I honestly don't know much about machines.

In short, not all Brother machines are terrible. I really love mine because it's an embroidery machine, and has really tiny stitch settings. I usually run it on about 4 length for 1/6th clothing and that's about the size of my hand stitches.
ShadowKat
Dolly Pardon

Postby WhiteDove01s » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:32 pm

Oh, I was figuring it has less to do with it being a Brother machine... and more to do with being on sale at WalMart. XD
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Shyla » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:29 pm

WhiteDove01s wrote:Oh, I was figuring it has less to do with it being a Brother machine... and more to do with being on sale at WalMart. XD

Same here XD

Edit: I took 2 machines into a repair shop today for **** and giggles. I carried the Brothers in and let the nice lady look at it. One look, she said, "I can't recommend getting it serviced. It's a bargain machine and the servicing charge for these starts at (price I paid for machine new). You can get a new machine for that." The other machine she was thrilled to work on, so eh.
my tumblr
my flickr
Ciero (RS Mu), Viridia (Gem of Doll Snowy on Resinsoul Ai body), Celia (RS Sophia), Nerri (IOS Luce) and Valnar (IOS Jaguar)
Shyla
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby Cianonzo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:42 am

This happens to me about every two minutes, and it is hella frustrating. >A< I know the feeling.
I use my machine's winder as well... and I don't think it's the tension. //sigh/ I have no clue how to fix it, so I just tolerate it. :c
Cianonzo
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Total Sewing