Go to footer

Sewing machine problem

Fabric, patterns and insider knowledge. This is the place if you're too poor to pay someone else for your dollieh dresses.

Sewing machine problem

Postby WhiteDove01s » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:29 pm

Ok, I'm not sure what's going on here, but my sewing machine did this:

It was sewing just fine only shortly before. I haven't changed fabrics, thread tension, or anything. And yes, there are also some loops on the other side too. Does anyone know what causes this and what I can do about it?
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Re: Sewing machine problem

Postby she_flame » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:58 am

My first thought was thread tension. It's the most common reason for these messes. But if you didn't change that, then I'd say, that your bobbin thread might be unevenly spooled. Also, you might check that your threading is done right, and that the bobbin thread is going in right way.
she_flame
Dolly Pardon

Postby WhiteDove01s » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:29 am

I checked to make sure the bobbin thread was in right (as one thing that occurred to me was the possibility that I had one of my scatterbrained moments and forgot the step about putting the thread through the little hole in the side of the metal thingy) and it looked right.

Explain further about this 'unevenly spooled bobbin' thing? Because I use the bobbin winder on the machine, but they do always seem to come out a little 'bottom-heavy'/not perfectly neat...

I paused in typing this after the line just above to remove the current bobbin and it does look sloppily done even for this machine's usual bobbin winding. Is there a way to make sure the bobbins wind more neatly? Am I doing it too fast or too slow maybe?
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby she_flame » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:56 am

Bottom heaviness shouldn't be an issue, but sloppiness is (and the most probable reason for that mess in the picture). I have no tricks for more neat winding, but you should try keep the pace even, and make sure thread is set right way for spooling a bobbin. A one wrong turn of thread may make huge difference.
she_flame
Dolly Pardon

Postby yarwel » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:28 am

My machine always does this. Usually it happens when the thread works its way out of the metal arm that goes up and down to maintain the thread tension, or sometimes the thread just gets snagged on some internal spring bit just before the moving arm thingy. Rethreading the machine usually fixes the problem, but if it keeps happening then I know I have a tension problem and should adjust the stitch length. A crummy bobbin could definitely cause the problem too, but I don't usually have trouble with bobbins I've wound myself; I have had trouble with the cheap-o store bought ones which are usually kind of loose and messy.
yarwel
the walls have dolliehs

Postby WhiteDove01s » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:06 pm

I redid the bobbin, and rethreaded the needle too just to be on the safe side. Did a test, and problem solved. Thanks a lot... at least now I know what to check when it does this. And I also know to actually LOOK at my bobbins after doing them before I just go and stick em in there. XD I've always tried to keep the speed even when winding bobbins, but my machine is kind of old and cheap/basic, and I think sometimes the very light weight of cheap thread spools might affect the tension when winding the bobbin? It goes around a little thingy that I think is meant to even that out, but I wouldn't be surprised if it still had a little effect. I'm thinking of seeing what happens if I make a bobbin after putting a metal washer on top of the thread spool... but that experiment will have to wait due to a lack of empty bobbins at this time (I had to borrow one from the Evil Overlord to redo the messed up one)
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:42 am

There are bobbin winders out there if that helps.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby WhiteDove01s » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:41 am

? You mean ones other than the sewing machine? I'll have to look into that, especially if they might do a better job at it.
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby oniakki » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:30 am

I tend to use my fingers for thread tension and keeping the thread even while winding my bobbins. Obviously there is a risk of thread sized rope burns, though that hasn't happened to be as of yet.
oniakki
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby DollyKim » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:22 pm

WhiteDove01s wrote:? You mean ones other than the sewing machine? I'll have to look into that, especially if they might do a better job at it.

Yup, there are little portable bobbin winders, just make sure it's for sewing thread instead of embroidery thread.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Total Sewing