Go to footer

Stitches coming out?! And need sewing advice.

Fabric, patterns and insider knowledge. This is the place if you're too poor to pay someone else for your dollieh dresses.

Stitches coming out?! And need sewing advice.

Postby Pleasesaveheart » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:18 am

Help! I'm super frazzled by this (haw) and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I used fray-check on the satin and it still frays and the thing keeps taking the stitches out.

Also what went wrong with these breast darts? The thread is showing and I don't understand what I did wrong?

Also how to make these neater?
Pleasesaveheart
i see dead dolliehs

Re: Stitches coming out?! And need sewing advice.

Postby yarwel » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:15 pm

I am far from an expert sewer, so everything I say should be taken with a grain of salt. :P The fray check should work for satin; are you sure you used enough fray-check and left a wide enough seam allowance? For the seams that are coming undone, it looks like the length of those seams aren't long enough to do a straight seam without fastening off the ends in some way; an easy way to fasten off is to back stitch by putting your sewing machine in reverse for a few stitches at the beginning and end of your seam. Your darts mostly look like they just need to be pressed(seriously, pressing can make all the difference for a sewing project), but it also looks like you may be having a slight tension problem with your sewing machine. Some quick ways to troubleshoot a tension problem are re-threading the machine and changing to a new needle. If you want the shoulder seems to be neater, you can hem after sewing the seam, but you would have to hand sew it's a little bit tricky to get the hem to lay right. I hope at least some of this will be helpful. :)
yarwel
the walls have dolliehs

Re: Stitches coming out?! And need sewing advice.

Postby E-Beth » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:26 am

Satin is tricky. It loves to fray and will do it very fast. Try fray checking the edges BEFORE you sew it.
For the darts, it looks like the fold in the material is longer than the actual stitching of the dart. So, you may need little bit more stitching. Are you back stitching or tying off the threads near the point of the dart?
E-Beth
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Return to Board index

Return to Total Sewing