Go to footer

Goggles.

Fabric, patterns and insider knowledge. This is the place if you're too poor to pay someone else for your dollieh dresses.

Goggles.

Postby Serif Balehawk » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:49 pm

I have a costume idea for a doll that I hope to be getting in the next few months, roughly a 60cm. But he'll need a pair of goggles. Steampunkish, that'll actually come down over the eyes if I feel like having them there.

I've looked up tutorials, and have found a few for HUMAN sized goggles. They required a baseball. That's considerably too large for a doll who's head is only nine inches around. Anyone have any ideas on how else to make a pair of steamy goggles?
Serif Balehawk

Re: Goggles.

Postby Dark Angel » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:23 am

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=271

I have no idea how to make them, but you can always buy 'em!
My Family:
Angel, Madison, Morgan, Dog, Egyp, Zurui, Willow, Pandora, Meadow, Camille, Sazuki, Eros, Knox, Mishell, Kirin, Chili, Jack, Carmen, Levi, Dimitri, Sun Wukong, Jezzebelle, Ellie, Ayato, Adrian, Lulu, Dagon, Nick
Dark Angel
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby Serif Balehawk » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:44 am

Ooh! Thank you!
Serif Balehawk

Postby kwm » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:25 pm

Serif Balehawk wrote:I have a costume idea for a doll that I hope to be getting in the next few months, roughly a 60cm. But he'll need a pair of goggles. Steampunkish, that'll actually come down over the eyes if I feel like having them there.

I've looked up tutorials, and have found a few for HUMAN sized goggles. They required a baseball. That's considerably too large for a doll who's head is only nine inches around. Anyone have any ideas on how else to make a pair of steamy goggles?

Ideas for making a pair of steamy goggles........

The goggles must fit around the head with a wig on it.
1. measure the circumference of the head with the wig on it.
2. find a couple of lenses that are scaled to your doll. You may have to cast then in clear resin?
3. find some very thin leather.... pliver?
4. design the goggles that you want... brass? leather? lens?
5. A 'T' shape of brass might hold a lens? Or, an 'H' shape turned on its side? A channel? "[==]"?
6. Cut and trim with an X-Acto knife, or?
7. Glue with your fave glue?

I think that the best doll-sized goggles that I have seen are the ones that pay attention to detail
at the scale of the doll that the goggles are being made for.

Slow down. Pay attention to detail. Figure out what you can do, or learn to do.
Know your materials. Know the doll as a real character. Make some goggles to
protect your doll's eyes from the elements as she or he flies through the atmosphere
in some sort of fantastical flying machine (steam powered).

I think that the more you can get into the character of your doll, the better your
goggles will be. You can make them !!!

It is a DESIGN thing, right?
WIP: 23cm Polymer clay Faerie
WEB: http://kerrid-wen.deviantart.com/
WIP: Aalish III, a 70cm oil-clay figure, to be cast in carving wax, then doll-composition slip.
WEB: http://atelierpoupee.blogspot.com/
kwm
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby silverbeam » Sat May 07, 2011 12:36 pm

Also see what you have around, one of the best thing about steampunk is it is easy to do with recycling objects. :D Especially a father, brother, neighbors garage....
silverbeam

Postby OkamiKodomo » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:57 pm

Oh oh oh I know this one! Watches! The little ones, from the craft store!
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Cat ^..^ » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:29 pm

look around for washers to use for the rim of the lenses. i have also seen bingo chips used for the lenses and those little round mirrors are available in a bag at the craft store ... you could try those for lenses.
Cat ^..^
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby OkamiKodomo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:42 pm

If you have a dremel, small plastic bottle caps might work too, for the rims; just dremel out the top of the cap, or use a cutting disc to cut it off. You can also buy sheets of clear acrylic at home improvement stores to cut out the size of the lens you want.
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Return to Board index

Return to Total Sewing