Go to footer

Recycling old clothes for dolls

Fabric, patterns and insider knowledge. This is the place if you're too poor to pay someone else for your dollieh dresses.

Re: Recycling old clothes for dolls

Postby Evelien » Mon May 09, 2011 12:56 pm

I've wondered for a long time what a thrift store is exactly... is it a second hand store, like a permanent flea market? :P I love those too, I often take home cheap kid's clothes second hand. Plus, my boyfriend gives me everything he'd otherwise throw away. Although there are boundaries... When he deposited some smelly dirty socks with holes in 'em on my desk yesterday, I asked if he could please deposit hem elsewhere :P.

I also bought a brand new baby romper a while ago though, because the fabric was just so darn pretty :)
European dealer for Captured in Glass doll eyes
Flickr | Ipernity
"I suspect Evelien doesn't go around wearing a little white lace hat and wooden shoes." -cirquemom
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Postby K2! » Mon May 09, 2011 6:47 pm

Evelien wrote:I've wondered for a long time what a thrift store is exactly... is it a second hand store, like a permanent flea market?

Yup!
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby Greyhaunt » Tue May 10, 2011 11:44 am

Evelien wrote:I've wondered for a long time what a thrift store is exactly... is it a second hand store, like a permanent flea market? :P I love those too, I often take home cheap kid's clothes second hand. Plus, my boyfriend gives me everything he'd otherwise throw away. Although there are boundaries... When he deposited some smelly dirty socks with holes in 'em on my desk yesterday, I asked if he could please deposit hem elsewhere :P.

I also bought a brand new baby romper a while ago though, because the fabric was just so darn pretty :)

Sort of yes and no :) Thrift stores come in two types, charity and for profit. Both types get their stuff that they sell from people donating things they no longer want, but the difference, of course is that with charity stores the income (after expenses) goes to help whatever charity they are affiliated with. Like I used to have one near me that was for a local animal shelter - so I always went there when I could. For profit ones are usually privately owned, and like the name says, they are in business to make money for whoever owns them. Unfortunately it isn't always easy to tell which type is which - and I really prefer to both give to and buy from the charity sort.

We have flea markets too, but over the years they are less and less people selling off their old junk and more and more people selling cheap junk they've bought in bulk online or knockoffs of designer stuff. :(
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby Zainin » Tue May 10, 2011 12:03 pm

Last edited by Zainin on Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zainin
i see dead dolliehs

Postby Evelien » Tue May 10, 2011 2:00 pm

Hmm, I'm not sure if Dutch thrift shops ('kringloopwinkels') are for charity or not. I don't think they are. I love flea markets but the fun of the big organized type depends on its location. For instance there's the Veemarkt in Utrecht, I went there twice in a row and there were the same professional dealers both times, asking insane prices. On the other hand in Hengelo you can still get a vintage dollieh for like 20 cents if you're lucky. Much more fun and authentic.
Flickr | Ipernity
"I suspect Evelien doesn't go around wearing a little white lace hat and wooden shoes." -cirquemom
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Greyhaunt » Tue May 10, 2011 2:30 pm

One of my favorite things to do is go to Yard or Garage sales. Don't know if that phenomenon happens in europe or not - but here it's where a person just drags a bunch of stuff they don't want anymore out onto the driveway or the grass of their house and they sell it. Those are the best because sometimes you can get incredible stuff cheap. Not always doll stuff, but I've gotten some nice furniture that way in the past :) Mostly these are done in the Summer, but here in Phoenix it's soooooooooooo HOT in the summer you mostly only see people doing yard sales in the winter and spring when it's cooler out.
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby Evelien » Tue May 10, 2011 2:38 pm

I've heard of the phenomenon, but I've never heard of it happening in the Netherlands. I wish :(
We have Queen's Day though, where people sit in the city with their attic stuff. It's fun, but I went too late this year (it's every year on April 30) because I'm sure all the good stuff was gone.. I only spent €0,50 :(

p.s. We do have http://www.marktplaats.nl which is basically an online, permanent garage sale I guess, haha!
Flickr | Ipernity
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Alopecia No Hime » Sat May 28, 2011 4:49 pm

Oh gods yes! I LOVE going to Flea Markets to find things that may fit my dolls. I got Holly, there a new chair for her today and a bunch of socks with stars on them that will be shortly made into clothes for my little horde.

I mainly use old tube socks if their black and just use the tubing for it.
~*~Storm Uchiha~*~
Alopecia No Hime
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby OkamiKodomo » Sat May 28, 2011 5:51 pm

I also like to go through bins of old clothing that get stashed by packrats like me! I had a shirt that I wore back in 9th grade that I combined with scraps of this really thin faux suede stuff I bought to make a pirate vest from. Made a lovely outfit for Vespera. I have the sleeves of this lovely Chinese-inspired shirt that I plan on making a dress from, and a lovely sheer thing that's supposed to be worn over a blouse that I'm going to town on once I decide what I'm making from it.
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Evelien » Sun May 29, 2011 3:22 pm

For Eiki's new outfit I used an old white torn shirt from my boyfriend's closet, which I lightly sprayed with black paint for the cool effect. Some parts of the shirt are much darker, it's cool, can't wait to use it for more garments, but for Eiki I wanted something light and subtle.

The shorts are made from a cheap jegging I bought especially to make doll clothes from. it was only a few € and the fabric is very thin and elastic, yet pretty, if you ask me. Perfect! ^^

(X-posted from Fashionista forum)

Flickr | Ipernity
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Total Sewing