Go to footer

Sweatin' the small stuff- tips for tiny tasks?

Fabric, patterns and insider knowledge. This is the place if you're too poor to pay someone else for your dollieh dresses.

Sweatin' the small stuff- tips for tiny tasks?

Postby Syri » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:56 pm

(I like alliterations...)

So. I'm new to the world of OOAK dolls, and due to their cheapness, availaility and charm, I'm starting with Monster High dolls. Now, I'm an intermediate level eamstress; I make an alter a lot of my own clohes, I can ambroider, my serger is my BFF, etc. But i've never orked on a scale sooo tiny! What are some of the best starter tips for sewing on such a small scale? Hints for sleeves are much apprecited!
Syri
BANNED

Re: Sweatin' the small stuff- tips for tiny tasks?

Postby EAB » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:48 pm

I sew everything for tinies by hand. I just can't manage the tiny turnings and seams with a machine. I also cut a double seam allowance for any fabric that will fray and French seam. It's a lot stronger and looks nice.
It's helpful to use fabrics that are more cooperative, like knits and felt, and really simple shapes.
I tried to do a set-in puffed sleeve and had to abandon it and just bind the armhole, so I'm not much help with that, although I expect you could do a simple T shape and just seam the underarm and side in one.
Please post pictures of your stuff. We love pictures,
EAB
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Re: Sweatin' the small stuff- tips for tiny tasks?

Postby catshem » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:40 pm

Get yourself some washable hem tap if you don't already have any, and Fray check.

Hem tape will save your life on seams on such a small scale, but it will be a pain with your needle. Wipe your needle clean after sewing through the tape.
My dolls Family
I make doll wingsOfficial Store here
Commission thread here
Mirrored Fantasies Etsy store
**DS exclusive coupon code for my etsy shop: DS15OFF
I like cats and dolls... I think my life is set. Wife of Rob.
Their story The God of Rampage
catshem
Iz dolliehs Here

Return to Board index

Return to Total Sewing