Go to footer

An experiment in possible frustration

Fabric, patterns and insider knowledge. This is the place if you're too poor to pay someone else for your dollieh dresses.

Re: An experiment in possible frustration

Postby leopardessmoon » Mon May 31, 2010 9:02 pm

Walmart- $80- Brother or Singer- average 6 or so stiches, reverse, light, footpedal. they are pretty simple. I have used the Brother one at a friends house. it worked pretty well actually. I have been thinking getting one for my SO to practice with. I really dont want him to muck up my good machine!
leopardessmoon

Postby richila » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:53 pm

I have a Brother machine that I use to make clothes for myself. It works great-I like it better than the Singers I had before-a Brother machine lasts longer for me. For doll clothes, I use a Janome mini and a good lamp. It has multiple stitches and everything a regular machine has, but the foot is half the size. Since the largest doll clothes I make are 1/4 scale, it is a lot easier for me to use. I used it to make my boy Mstya's suit.
[url]Image[/url]
richila
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby ivory stardust » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:45 pm

I used to have one of those Dressmaker II ones. I managed to make two pairs of pj pants for the hubby... along with giving myself a migraine. Yeah, I think I may still have it in my closet someplace, but haven't seen it in over a year.

I did pick up an old machine at a flea market for $20. They estimate it to be from sometime between the 30s-50s, but not sure. It's cast iron, and mounted into a table, so it flips up or down inside, with a tabletop that folds outward fro a work space. Tried using it once but something wasn't right... can't remember what. I've just been using it as a table for about 2 years now. Maybe I really should see about getting the heavy old thing to a repair shop.
Sometimes, you just need a nap!
ivory stardust
Dolly Pardon

Postby silverbeam » Sat May 07, 2011 12:41 pm

LOL, fight the good fight! Sewing machines are wonderful horrible pleasing things......
silverbeam

Postby victoriavictrix » Sat May 07, 2011 6:32 pm

An update to this:

The Janome Mini (which also comes in a Hello Kitty version) is, by all reports, a good, sturdy little machine with very basic functions. Everyone I've heard from that has one likes it. At $50 it is twice to three times the price of the Piece O Craps As Seen On TV, but that's still reasonable.

So if you REALLY want a tiny machine, the Janome Mini is your best bet.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Total Sewing