Go to footer

WANTED: Advice for sewing for Tinies.

Fabric, patterns and insider knowledge. This is the place if you're too poor to pay someone else for your dollieh dresses.

WANTED: Advice for sewing for Tinies.

Postby Alopecia No Hime » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:05 am

Alright gonna try sewing some practice outfits for my tiny lady for when she arrives but thing is...I got no idea where to start..I got fat quarters plenty of 'em to sacrifice I got a Tommy doll whom is about her height and is wearing an outfit (overalls) that she's gonna get but for the rest...I got zero clue where to even start. Pants..Shirts...Dresses all that. I'm gonna be searching my basement eventually for my old Kelly stuff like when me and my mom went and found Haruka bunch of stuff and likely will find more props and outfits that way...But still tips would be appriciated all the same...T-T I got no clue where to start. I got two sets of shoes tiny American Girl doll shoes and boots off a Santa Kelly doll that should work as well as dolls to mug but I wanna see how well I can do with detailed stuff.

She ain't getting anything ruffled that's for sure.

I'm sorry if this post rambled on. I'm heading to bed after I click submit.
~*~Storm Uchiha~*~
Alopecia No Hime
I have no life but dolliehs

Re: WANTED: Advice for sewing for Tinies.

Postby Yanagi-sen » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:35 am

I would start with something simple if you aren't used to sewing on such a 'tiny' scale (pardon the pun). I like using tracing paper to make patterns, it flexes nicely around the bodies and that way you can kind of test what something will be like. With my bitty bitsu I knew his default clothes would be a Japanese ghi top and hakama. I have a hakama pattern that works off measurements, so it is the same construction for my little guy as it is for my 1/4 as for me! (seriously, I used the same method to make a Bleach cosplay costume for myself, it worked great!) You could also try something like a wrap-around skirt that isn't so size dependent until you get a feel for it.

Are you doing everything by hand or using a machine? It's taken practice but I've gotten pretty good at doing tiny seams and hems (anything that is a straight line) on the machine.

Good luck!
Yanagi-sen
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Alopecia No Hime » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:43 am

I was going to just start with dresses and other simple things like T-shirt's and shorts. Vests out of scraps and things.

I usually do everything by hand, my machine is a piece of crap that if you even look at it incorrectly it breaks or the needle falls out. (Plus it doesn't have an option to change the size of the stitching) but I've gotten really good at hand sewing to where I can do multiple projects in a matter of a couple of hours. It's relaxing to kick back and watch some movies whilst swing. I saw pics of your bitty on JS you did a great job with his Hakama and that's a pattern I'd love to know where you got it from.

Thanks I get the feeling once I get into it and start making patterns like I usually do taking in her size I can use other patterns like my T-shirt one for long dresses and just adjust it. I usually don't hem things as I don't know many stitches besides the blanket stitch, running stitches for ruffles and pleats plus my fabrics don't fray too easily so rolling up a cuff or doing a blanket stitch on a small scale works better. I also use snaps instead of velcro as a precaution for my dolls hair and wigs.
~*~Storm Uchiha~*~
Alopecia No Hime

Postby Yanagi-sen » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:24 am

A good backstitch is usually what I use for hand seam work. Hemming I usually do the blanket stitch. Before I got my sewing machine I did everything by hand, even full size Renn. garb. I finally broke down and got a machine when I started doing costumes for the drama club.

Here is the Kataginu Hakama pattern link. I actually saved all the steps into a word doc so I had it more conveniently at hand.

http://tenshi-blues.deviantart.com/art/ ... l-66071332
Yanagi-sen
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Alopecia No Hime » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:40 pm

Thank you I'll look that backstitch up (or see if my mom can show me) and thanks for the link.
~*~Storm Uchiha~*~
Alopecia No Hime

Postby richila » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:38 pm

Here is a link to a free PukiPuki size T-shirt pattern
http://www.puchicollective.com/sewing-patterns/puki-pukilati-white-t-shirt-pattern/
These patterns won't fit a 4 inch tall doll, but it is a good group to see how a lot of different pattern pieces can go together and they can be shrunk down on a copier.
http://www.persephone.com/dawn/fashions/topperpatterns.html
One thing that helped me a lot is to use needles as small as I could handle. I usually use size 10 needles.
Have fun! What tiny are you getting?
richila

Postby Alopecia No Hime » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:54 pm

richila wrote:Here is a link to a free PukiPuki size T-shirt pattern
http://www.puchicollective.com/sewing-patterns/puki-pukilati-white-t-shirt-pattern/
These patterns won't fit a 4 inch tall doll, but it is a good group to see how a lot of different pattern pieces can go together and they can be shrunk down on a copier.
http://www.persephone.com/dawn/fashions/topperpatterns.html
One thing that helped me a lot is to use needles as small as I could handle. I usually use size 10 needles.
Have fun! What tiny are you getting?

Thanks! I will and I appriciate the links!

I'm finally getting a Bitty bitsu!
~*~Storm Uchiha~*~
Alopecia No Hime

Postby richila » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:11 am

Bitty Bitsus are amazing! I am completely addicted. :D
richila

Postby Alopecia No Hime » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:17 pm

richila wrote:Bitty Bitsus are amazing! I am completely addicted. :D

I couldn't take the cuteness anymore resistance was futile. (She should be here any day now.)

I already used an old Tommy doll as a model to make a quick practice dress for her. It turned out pretty cute.
~*~Storm Uchiha~*~
Alopecia No Hime

Postby Alopecia No Hime » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:09 pm

That's a good tip. ^^ It's actually been a lot easier sewing for her then I thought. I just jumped in created a pattern and now she's demanding more ruffles. She's definietly fun to sew for.

Here's a pic of her lolita dress. ^^ Image
~*~Storm Uchiha~*~
Alopecia No Hime

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Total Sewing