Go to footer

Make your own Doctor Who scarf

Fabric, patterns and insider knowledge. This is the place if you're too poor to pay someone else for your dollieh dresses.

Make your own Doctor Who scarf

Postby DollyKim » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:42 pm

Great site with very clear directions and many yarn choices http://www.doctorwhoscarf.com/
Another site with different yarn choices and slightly different instructions. http://wittylittleknitter.com/ The Vanna's Choice yarn is available at Jo-Ann.

For dolls use as light of a weight yarn as possible and small needles, look on the label for a square the smaller the number the smaller the needles etc. Keep all our yarns the same number. Larger minis and bigger can do sport weight 3-4, smaller dolls need a microspun or crochet thread if you can find the colors, if not just work on as small of a set of needles as you can stand. I found success by only doing half the number of rows in the patterns given by the first site, make it just wider than the doll's neck is long.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Re: Make your own Doctor Who scarf

Postby leopardessmoon » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:14 pm

those are cool sites, thanks for the links!
leopardessmoon

Re: Make your own Doctor Who scarf

Postby DollyKim » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:10 pm

Found the labels for the colors I used which I got at Jo Ann, I think Michaels carries them too so they're easy enough to get. Just make sure the numbers for the weight, in a square on the label are all the same. I only needed 1 skien of each but my Season 12 scarf is only 25 stitches wide. You can start with one skien of each color and just buy more if needed, the green and grey got used the most. Feel free to substitute for a like color on sale.

Tan- Red Heart Ivory, could be just a bit darker
Red- Vanna's Choice Brick
Green- Lion Brand Loden
Yellow- Lion Brand Gold
Grey- Lion Brand Oxford, could be a smidge lighter, must be just lighter than the purple
Purple- Red Heart Grape
Brown- Red Heart Latte

The trickiest color to find is the red but it is exactly the color of a brick. Many of the photos of the scarf seem to have a slight yellow tint and/or further versions were made with more yellowish yarn.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Return to Board index

Return to Total Sewing