Go to footer

Barbie's Ken Clothes Modified for MSD & smaller? [IMG++]

Fabric, patterns and insider knowledge. This is the place if you're too poor to pay someone else for your dollieh dresses.

Barbie's Ken Clothes Modified for MSD & smaller? [IMG++]

Postby MrKaffiend » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:34 am

I've never seriously shopped through Barbie clothes for BJDs, and I thought I never would, but... I was browsing around Walmart--they really shouldn't put the kids' section next to the electronics' section...--and I'm a bit nostalgic for the Barbie aisle. Passing through, I saw this adorable Ken sweater that I hoped might fit one of my MSDs.

(Have to use the official pic 'cause I didn't take any of my own before I ripped into it. lolol)

The cuffs were obviously too small, so I just clipped them since the sweater was pretty stretchy. And it fit!! A little unkempt, but it fit!!

So... I'm left with these pants that will in no way fit any of my MSDs. What can I do with them...

And then this happened. I used the calf portion of the trousers as sleeves, retaining the finished edge and the same side seam, and then used the thigh portions as a bit to cover his widdle midriff. c:

Take a look:

Even used the velcro from the pants to made the lower shirt close. Now -that's- using every part of the buffalo!

Here's the sweater with one sleeve rolled back the way that I stitched it together:

I pinned the sleeves together, right sides together, and risked my finger inside the sleeve as I handstitched the seam...

The bottom part of the shirt was pretty easy. Just ripped out the crotch seam from the leftover pants, then cut at the line of the crotch to give me two open leg pieces. Stitched those together, thew a hem on there, and added the velcro as a finishing touch. :D

Not "company" quality, but it's pretty alright for a frankensteined Ken outfit! Anyone else have any exploration into modifying Ken clothes? Would love to see more of this "Fashionista" line of Ken clothes on BJDs!
The Gang @ Home:
Chorus -- Luts MiniFee Chiwoo; Narcissus -- Luts MiniFee Chiwoo Sleeping head; Elby -- Unoa L-bi; Enn -- Blue Fairy BW Tommy on Blossom body

Selling:
Blue Fairy beauty white Blossom MSD body
http://dolliehsanctuary.com/sanctuary/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5917
WANT!!
IslandDoll small bust MSD body, Island tone
MrKaffiend
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Re: Barbie's Ken Clothes Modified for MSD & smaller? [IMG++]

Postby TasiaChiba » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:02 am

Now THAT'S adorable!! Brilliant use of ingenuity there! =applauds whole-heartedly=
http://eof.cloverpetals.com/images/dolliehsignature.png
Tasia@DA // Ends of Fate (BJD Site) // ResinAngel@DA (BJD)
Jacera (DM Lilis Liv) | Bríean (CP Shiwoo Vampire) | Inathe (Unoa Lusis) | Graeme (DS Saint) +moar~
TasiaChiba

Postby MrKaffiend » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:04 am

Thank you, thank you! It turned out a lot more "mod" than I thought was possible for a Ken outfit... I rarely have anything that fits Chorus's MNF torso brick very well, but this fits him so nicely~ c: Totally worth the $7 or so spent on the original outfit. xD
The Gang @ Home:
Chorus -- Luts MiniFee Chiwoo; Narcissus -- Luts MiniFee Chiwoo Sleeping head; Elby -- Unoa L-bi; Enn -- Blue Fairy BW Tommy on Blossom body

Selling:
WANT!!
MrKaffiend

Postby Greyhaunt » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:31 pm

If/when I use the Barbie/Ken stuff for BJDs it's usually for the 1/6 scale size, the 26cm Bobobie/Resinsoul dolls, various animal dolls (my Pipos Baha loves Ken stuff) etc... Don't know if I'd want to go through the effort of modding them for an MSD, but you did a great job :)
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby MrKaffiend » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:48 pm

I don't have any smaller dolls.... yet >w> But my heart is pretty set on gettin' a PukiFee Pongpong in the near future, so I'll probably be doing more shopping in the Barbie aisle... xD I'd love to see more pics of smaller BJDs wearing Ken clothes, if anyone has some to share!
The Gang @ Home:

Selling:
WANT!!
MrKaffiend

Postby AlmySidaKay » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:16 pm

My MSD girls tend to ninja Ken stuff, but most of the Barbie stuff doesn't fit sadly.
A hobby isn't supposed to leave you wistful, regretful and vaguely disappointed. BJD collecting is as customizable as the dolls themselves. Do whatever pleases you the most, because otherwise, why do it at all? All for the 'Gram Bitches love the 'Gram.
AlmySidaKay
Keeper of Unicorns, Rainbows and Happy Things

Postby Gift_in_Edge » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:38 pm

AlmySidaKay wrote:My MSD girls tend to ninja Ken stuff, but most of the Barbie stuff doesn't fit sadly.

Dem skinny girls.
I'm mostly on Tumblr now.
Gift_in_Edge
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby yarwel » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:55 pm

Great job! It looks really cute on your boy!
yarwel
the walls have dolliehs

Postby AlmySidaKay » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:46 pm

Gift_in_Edge wrote:
AlmySidaKay wrote:My MSD girls tend to ninja Ken stuff, but most of the Barbie stuff doesn't fit sadly.

Dem skinny girls.

Tru dat.
A hobby isn't supposed to leave you wistful, regretful and vaguely disappointed. BJD collecting is as customizable as the dolls themselves. Do whatever pleases you the most, because otherwise, why do it at all? All for the 'Gram Bitches love the 'Gram.
AlmySidaKay
Keeper of Unicorns, Rainbows and Happy Things

Postby MrKaffiend » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:28 pm

AlmySidaKay wrote:
Gift_in_Edge wrote:

Dem skinny girls.

Tru dat.

Riiiight? I almost wish we could "+Like" posts on the forum 'cause I was just going to say the same thing. xDD It's better that our BJDs -don't- wear Barbie clothes... >_> We shouldn't give them false illusions of their body image, y'know. Bad for their development.
The Gang @ Home:

Selling:
WANT!!
MrKaffiend

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Total Sewing