Go to footer

Help with pants?

Fabric, patterns and insider knowledge. This is the place if you're too poor to pay someone else for your dollieh dresses.

Help with pants?

Postby ShadowKat » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:38 pm

I need help making pants. I've been making 1/6th sized clothing for a while now, mainly skirts, shirts, dresses, and kimono. I just can't figure out pants. I've tried many times, but they always turn out frumpy in the crotch area. I did manage to make a pair of halfway decent pajama-style pants, but I want to make a pair of jean-like pants. I have a 27cm Obitsu male (Azone Ichigo Kurosaki) that I want to make new clothes for, but his character only wears jeans and school uniform pants (Well, and hakama, but he came with those).

Does anyone have any advice or tips for me? I appreciate it! :)
ShadowKat
Dolly Pardon

Re: Help with pants?

Postby maywong » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:46 pm

Pants are pretty easy to make. Are you using a pattern?
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby ShadowKat » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:57 pm

I haven't been able to find one in the style I need. I found some girls cargo Momoko patterns, but that's been it. It's mainly the crotch area that's the trouble. Either the crotch is too small, it looks funny, or they just don't fit afterward.
ShadowKat
Dolly Pardon

Postby DollyKim » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:43 pm

Draft patterns for any doll any size or shape http://www.lulu.com/shop/kim-reed/the-d ... 84657.html You will end up with a sloper/block that can be adapted to any pattern or used to alter other patterns to fit.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby richila » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:57 pm

I found this pattern for Barbie jeans. I cut mine out of paper towel until I get a pattern that fits. Cut it a little bigger than the paper pattern and pin it on the doll. Trim outside the pins and you have a working pattern for your fabric.
http://sewing.about.com/library/barbiejeans.pdf
richila
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby Dirili » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:17 pm

My woefully neglected website:
http://www.designbyamy.net
Dirili
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Greyhaunt » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:25 am

I second Richila's suggestion to make a mockup out of papertowels or some other "throwaway" type fabric. Doing that will allow you to modify the pattern and figure out where to add/subtract seam until you get the fit you're looking for. I have a pile of what I consider really ugly fabrics that I use just to test/modify patterns so I don't feel like I'm wasting the good stuff :)
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby Alopecia No Hime » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:06 am

Take a look at what might fit your boy. Like buy a cheap pair of Ken pants or even lay him down naked on paper and trace out his waist area/legs and make it a little bigger for seam allowence. That's what I did when I got my 21cm boy and had no idea what to do as far as pants went because as soon as he got here there was no way in hell was I going to be getting away with putting him in girls clothes all the time. I did that and made my first pair with help from my mom (I was only fifteen when I got him and very new to sewing.) For my bigger boy I took a pair of his pants, pinned it to the paper traced it out and repinned the patter onto the material. For a 27cm boy don't worry about the crotch. They don't got much to show for it. XD
~*~Storm Uchiha~*~
Alopecia No Hime
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby ShadowKat » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:53 pm

Thanks for all the help and advice! I think I was just over complicating things (I do this alot!). The links Dirli gave me really gave me a better starting point than what I was doing. I'm already working on a ton of stuff right now, but I'll post pics of them once I get the pants done. I had already tried to copy a pair of Barbie track pants (yeap, they actually fit him, and quite nicely to boot), but that turned out worse than the from scratch ones for some reason :? . I know what you mean, Alopecia, poor Ichigo doesn't stand a chance with the ladies! :lol: Though, he's stuck on a shelf between another guy and Optimus Prime anyways.
I should stand a MUCH better chance now! Thanks again everybody!
ShadowKat
Dolly Pardon

Postby Dirili » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:45 pm

Yay! :D Glad I could help you!
My woefully neglected website:
http://www.designbyamy.net
Dirili
the walls have dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Total Sewing