Go to footer

Armor for our pint sized warriors?

Fabric, patterns and insider knowledge. This is the place if you're too poor to pay someone else for your dollieh dresses.

Armor for our pint sized warriors?

Postby Avalonnae » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:33 am

Question...
Does anyone know of a good fabric that gives the illusion of chain maille which would work on a 12" dollieh?
I have seen maille fabrics, but they're large, for human sized folk...and I can't seem to find anything that would work for my dolls. :(
Thank you!
Avalonnae
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Re: Armor for our pint sized warriors?

Postby oniakki » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:34 am

I've always woven my own chainmaille so haven't looked for any fabrics, I don't have any images of my own work that deal with rings of that scale handy, so I grabbed a link off the web: http://montanaflash23.deviantart.com/ar ... -258919643

It's probably not what you were looking to do, and is almost a hobby in it's own right, but I figured I should at least point it out as I do chainmaille myself and have plans to make some for Allison (she's a 50cm Obitsu).
oniakki
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby zirconmermaid » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:16 pm

I have a several friends who do chainmail, and one of them has a RS Pixiu dragon wearing it! Otherwise, there are some metalic mesh fabrics that can look good on the larger dolls, for the smaller ones you could try knitting it with silver thread. That's a technique frequently used in old movies.
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby zirconmermaid » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:18 pm

oniakki wrote:I've always woven my own chainmaille so haven't looked for any fabrics, I don't have any images of my own work that deal with rings of that scale handy, so I grabbed a link off the web: http://montanaflash23.deviantart.com/ar ... -258919643

It's probably not what you were looking to do, and is almost a hobby in it's own right, but I figured I should at least point it out as I do chainmaille myself and have plans to make some for Allison (she's a 50cm Obitsu).

That chainmail is awesome!!
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby Avalonnae » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:27 pm

I was looking at that image just this morning!!!
I have always wanted to experiment with maille...but just never buckled down and tried to tackle it. Perhaps in about 3 years when my youngest is in preschool and I have a few hours a day to myself. *sighs longingly at the thought* lol
What I'm wanting to do is a coif and maille tunic, so I'm thinking that at least for now, fabric is the way to go. I found some on ebay that MAY work...going to give it a whirl. I can't imagine making maille barbie sized. I would go cross eyed...but it looks sooooooooo nice!!!!!
Avalonnae
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby Avalonnae » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:31 pm

I had to comment on that pic...if he used pre-made jump rings, like for jewelry making, I may be up for small pieces of maille...or accent pieces. Hmmmmm. I used to do a lot of beading, and have all the nifty little pliers. Now I'm so curious. Wanting to try it, just to seeeeeeeee.
Avalonnae
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby DollyKim » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:13 pm

There is a line of jump rings called Chain Maille that comes in different size rings but otherwise I'd agree with knitting. There is silvery size 10 crochet thread easily found.

As for mesh fabric now is a good time to look with prom season coming.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Avalonnae » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:46 pm

Oooh, you're so right!
Avalonnae
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby CrazyYoungCatLady » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:42 pm

I found this on Etsy. It says you can cut and sew it just like fabric. https://www.etsy.com/listing/119763259/ ... avs_view_1
Do you have any idea what that will do to my complexion? People will mistake me for a planetarium!

My Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/DollyCouture55
CrazyYoungCatLady
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby she_flame » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:59 am

There is an artist on Deviant Art, who makes armors for his dolls from real metals. Picture here.

Another artist (sorry, can't find their account from DA) made barbie sized chainmail.

I, myself have been thinking, if the plastic material used in coffee packages works for material to do plate armor. (The plastic is silver colored from one side, so it might be possible. I'll post pictures, when I get the project done.)

And of course, leather/faux leather works if one wants lighter armor. And I have seen FIMO clay and other polymer clays used for plate armor.
she_flame
Dolly Pardon

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Total Sewing