Go to footer

Pattern Reviews

Fabric, patterns and insider knowledge. This is the place if you're too poor to pay someone else for your dollieh dresses.

Pattern Reviews

Postby Greyhaunt » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:09 pm

I thought that since we have a pinned list of pattern sources doing a list of pattern reviews might be nice too so people have some idea of what they will buy and how well it works/the instructions, etc... This can be for published patterns from books, or ones you've bought from an individual.
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Perfect Patterns Review

Postby Greyhaunt » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:13 pm

I've bought several patterns now from Perfect Patterns and I really love their stuff. The patterns are mostly vintage styles sized for dolls like Gene, Cissy, Tonner, etc... but can be adapted for BJDs by those with the will.

Patterns themselves are available in PDF or hardcopy. PDFs come with clear instructions on how to print for those not experienced with that format. I love how professional their patterns are made! Clean sharp lines, standard sewing markings, seam allowances marked out. These are top of the line patterns in my book!
Greyhaunt

Hello Dolly Patterns

Postby Greyhaunt » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:18 pm

Like Perfect Patterns these are vintage styles sized for Gene, Cissy, Tonner, etc... You can find them on Ebay and if you go to her "ME" page there is a link to her full catalogue. The instructions are very detailed and appear very clear. No PDFs, only come in hardcopy, but are shipped in nice sheet protectors for easy inclusion in a pattern notebook.

My negative on these is that they are "amateur" in presentation. Drawn by hand with pencil (you can tell) the lines are not always even width and not always straight. Standard pattern markings for things like folds are not used and some pattern instructions are written outside the pieces on the pages - so if you want to cut them out you'll lose them unless you write them onto the pieces. I was really hoping for something more like Perfect Patterns so these did disappoint me in that respect.
Greyhaunt

Re: Pattern Reviews

Postby anthrogirl14 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:14 pm

I've used several free knitting patterns from Doll West designs and I've been really happy with their knitting patterns, they're very clearly written.

they also have patterns for sale but I haven't bought any yet.
Hand knit BJD clothes in Tiny, Yo-sd and MSD sizes
http://www.etsy.com/shop/anthrogirl14
anthrogirl14
i see dead dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:03 am

Simplicity 1955 Full review http://dolfielittles.typepad.com/blog/2 ... dolls.html

With varying success that can be assisted by tailoring it fits all Obitsu 1/6 girls and the Slim, Volks 1/6, Moxie Teens, Liv, Barbie, Bratz, and others. Won't be putting any designers out of business but a great grab if there's a pattern sale.

Won't work on Monsters.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Greyhaunt » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:35 pm

http://cindisdollapparel.com/ "Flurry" pattern.

Sized for SDs with big boobs it was a challenge for me to resize for my 50cms (with apparently bigger boobs), but I did manage. Not the easiest pattern I've ever worked with in terms of resizing it for a doll it wasn't fitted for - definitely intermediate to expert level for usage. Doesn't have the seam allowance marked on patterns which is something I like to see in a doll pattern, but can live without if I have to.

All that said, the pattern can really be tweaked and embellished in a variety of ways to make some very different looks and I even added sleeves (it is a sleeveless dress) to one version.
Greyhaunt

Gracefaerie patterns

Postby zirconmermaid » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:54 pm

http://www.gracefaerie.com/index2.htm

These are extremely professional, sized for multiple dolls in most of the patterns, and well worth it. They are not basic sewing level, more like a Voque sewing pattern for dolls. Most of them can be simplified if you want, and there are so many to choose from!! It is possible to make many different things with them. I have used them, and really like them. Lily's wedding gown is from "Season's for Estella" because that is the size that fit her. I got to try the pictured dress on Hazel!

Gracefaerie herself is an avid BJD and doll collector. She is also very sweet and nice! If you are looking for a pattern in a specific size, and aren't sure which to use, I would definitely ask her. She comes to our doll meets here, and lives pretty close to me.
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby kenaiqueen » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:52 pm

Here are my Ellowyne girls wearing Gracefaerie's #20 Lilac Afternoon for MSD. (Pattern also available in larger size for 60cm.)
By kenaiqueen2007 at 2011-10-18

I consider myself a mid-level skill seamstress. I can follow a pattern, but I don't make my own. I make clothes for myself and tailor many things I buy off the rack as my 'rack' is too big and I have to buy a size up, then take in at shoulders, etc. I purchased the download version as I prefer to keep things filed on the computer rather than try to store yet another pattern in my crafts disaster area.

I used the bodice piece that was sized for a vinyl Goodreau to fit Ellowyne as was suggested by the pattern instructions. Perfect fit! I was able to hand sew the top, but the skirt ruffles were so thick, I had to go to the sewing machine. (I prefer to hand sew, especially for doll clothes.) Rose's black patterned materials are from a couple of quilt fat quarters, but with lighter weight cotton than some of the usual quilt cottons. It took a little searching/fingering to find the right weight. Joan's white dress is also a quilt fat quarter, light weight cotton and you can't see very well that the white is actually a tiny white floral print on white. I cut her bodice panel & sleeves from a sample from Spoonflower, selected to match/compliment as much as possible the awesome floral boots I bought off ebay for her.

The bodice is lined so it is double thick. I have seen other MSD patterns that use this trick to avoid the need for tiny facings or having to use seam binding to finish edges. I don't have a serger so that's not an option for me, but those who have one could probably adapt the ruffles to serge the bottom hems and make the dress a bit lighter/less stiff. If I remember correctly, it said a 1/4" seam allowance on all pieces, but I think I made mine a bit less. Looks like my skirts are a bit longer so that could be the case. I highly advise basting the bodice first to adjust the fit as needed. And be sure to pre-wash the material.

I think they came out looking very cute and they are very suitable for Ellowyne's form/character. I think a beginning sewer could make these with great success. The pattern instructions are very clear and easy to follow.
Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.
kenaiqueen
Iz dolliehs Here

Re: Hello Dolly Patterns

Postby E-Beth » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:24 pm

Greyhaunt wrote:My negative on these is that they are "amateur" in presentation. Drawn by hand with pencil (you can tell) the lines are not always even width and not always straight. Standard pattern markings for things like folds are not used and some pattern instructions are written outside the pieces on the pages - so if you want to cut them out you'll lose them unless you write them onto the pieces. I was really hoping for something more like Perfect Patterns so these did disappoint me in that respect.

I just ordered 6 patterns from Hello Dolly. I am overall pleased by the selection of patterns. I won't be actually sewing any until mid-Sept when The Doll arrives, but I will say that I agree overall with Greyhaunt's assessment of these patterns.
There are miss-spellings and the odd wrong word in the instructions provided with the patterns, but these typos do not make it too difficult to follow the pattern instructions.

Interestingly, one of the 6 I ordered is typeset rather than hand-drawn. I believe it may be a direct reduction of a vintage pattern, since the cutting line is a doubled line, as found in vintage patterns. Also, in addition to the revised instructions (necessary sometimes for making small doll clothes) she has included a photo copy of the original pattern's instructions.

Linda (owner of Hello Dolly) is very nice to work with and promptly answers emailed inquiries.
E-Beth
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby E-Beth » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:16 pm

Review: Swagger Coat #105, Hello Dolly Boutique patterns (c)2006 as sized for the 22" American Model doll

I've put a Very Long and Verbose review of this pattern with lots of pictures on my blog

http://daretodolly.blogspot.com/2012/08/review-swagger-coat.html

Here's the short form:

Yes, there are some issues with this pattern but the coat is cute!

A not quite so short form:

This pattern is based on a full-sized vintage pattern from the 1930s. There are sleeve style, hem length, and collar variations as well as a detachable hood. The coat and hood are lined.

This pattern has been hand-drafted down from the vintage original for a 22" doll. This pattern is also available for other size dolls. Bullet-point instructions are provided, with some very small reproductions of instructional line drawings from the original pattern.

The facings for the neck don't come out quite right, but can be easily trimmed up.

No grainlines on the pattern pieces, no center front mark, and some notches don't quite line up.

The neck comes out a bit large for the original style (which was closefitting). It looks even larger on my pencil-necked Regina (Resinsoul Dai).

The hood is seriously obscure and the scanty bulletpoint instructions provided don't match either the hood pattern pieces or the original vintage drawings provided.

This is what I came up with (creepy hand-head photos)

The pattern pieces provided are a left and right hood, each to be cut out twice. I believe they should each be cut out only once. There are matching notches on the hood pieces, creating an asymmetric hood shape (however, the double and single notches on one side seem to be reversed. It does not matter, since the hood is equally asymmetric either way).

There are several illustrations of the hood included on the pattern instruction sheet. One drawing as worn, where one can see the criss-cross drape at the front mentioned in the instructions, one of the hood hanging down the back of the coat (on the pattern cover page), one of what is apparently the seam below the peak of the hood being stitched (not present in the written instructions) and one of assembling the hood which looks suspiciously like a Möbius strip.

I have seen other 1930s garments with a similar twisted "right to wrong side" construction at the neck, and in this case, the twisted section of the hood, where both the outside and lining fabric are visible, lies below the wearer's chin.

From two of the illustrations, it appears that the hood was intended to button in place on the coat. It may be more practical to use snaps on this scale garment, as the written directions indicate.

One side or both of the hood must be detached in order to remove the coat. This is somewhat awkward, but the hood adds quite a bit to the overall style of the garment.

The "hanging down the back" illustration looks like the hood pieces may have been cut on the bias, or the fabric used in the illustration was a fine twill or other inherently easily draped fabric.

There are revised hood instructions in my blog.

Ta Da!
E-Beth
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Total Sewing