Go to footer

Pattern Reviews

Fabric, patterns and insider knowledge. This is the place if you're too poor to pay someone else for your dollieh dresses.

Re: Pattern Reviews

Postby E-Beth » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:54 pm

Hello Dolly Boutique #36, Draped Swimsuit and Coverup.

I made this pattern work. It was grossly oversized for my Impldoll Model (which is close in size to the 22" American Model the pattern was published for). However, it is easy to alter.

As I've come to expect with HDB patterns, there are missing markings, mismatched markings, pattern pieces that don't line up, and utterly confusing directions.

But come on, it is a totally cute outfit, worth the struggle. I strongly suggest making a trial version first. And lining the shorts as well as the top - makes for a neater finished garment.

Tell me it's not cute.

I've done a long review here on my blog.

E-Beth
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby EAB » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:53 am

I bought two patterns from My Own Little World. They are really cute patterns, and I don't know how they fit on Pukipuki, etc., but the ones that are marked for Realpuki don't fit; they are way too big, and you have to cut them down considerably--so much, in fact, that you basically end up re-drafting them.
I just thought that if someone was contemplating spending money on them (they aren't exorbitant, but they aren't cheap) this information would be helpful.
I think maybe the lady who designed these thinks that Realpuki and Pukipuki are the same size, because lots of the pieces are marked for both. I only have Realpuki, and I know that Fairyland says their faceplates are interchangeable, but, if these patterns are any indication, their bodies definitely are not. Realpuki is smaller.
EAB
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Faydreams » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:34 am

DollyKim wrote:Simplicity 1955 Full review http://dolfielittles.typepad.com/blog/2 ... dolls.html

With varying success that can be assisted by tailoring it fits all Obitsu 1/6 girls and the Slim, Volks 1/6, Moxie Teens, Liv, Barbie, Bratz, and others. Won't be putting any designers out of business but a great grab if there's a pattern sale.

Won't work on Monsters.

I have this same set! I love it. I've sized it up to fit larger dolls using a scanner and sized it down to fit tiny puki puki's (though I have not tested that one yet.

I bet if you sized it down until the top fit a Kelly added about an inch to the bottom of the bodice piece, and just lengthened the skirt by about three to four inches added to the bottom it would work for Monster Highs. I've learned that those skinny mini bodies of theirs can wear Kelly dresses like baby doll tops.
The pen is mightier than the sword.... Unless this is a sword fight.
Faydreams
Dolly Pardon

Postby DollyKim » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:43 am

Monsters are way different shaped than the average doll. After all that work you'd be better off drafting something specifically for them our buying a pattern made just for them http://www.lulu.com/shop/kim-reed/just- ... 95474.html

I have measured and drafted for many types of dolls during my studies and just scaling up or down doesn't work in many cases. I was able to double some 1/6 scale patterns to start with for my Obitsu 60 but in the end it worked better to make pieces just for him.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby yarwel » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:43 am

Simplicity 5785:
http://www.simplicity.com/p-2268-1960s-vintage-11-doll-clothes.aspx

I sewed the shirt and pleated skirt(A) and the loose jacket(B) to test the pattern. The pieces were well marked and the instructions were very clear. I think even a beginning sewer could sew these patterns without trouble. The patterns come out larger than expected. The package says it's for 11.5 inch dolls, so one might expect the clothes to fit barbie sized dolls, but they come out too wide. The shirt and skirt are passable as a loose fit, but the jacket looks very baggy. Taking a larger than recommended seam allowance might make them come out slenderer, maybe. I'm guessing they were designed for the old circa 1950 style of fashion doll which are wider bodied; the upside is that the patterns end up fitting larger dolls. I found that the garments fit well, though perhaps a bit shorter than the illustration, on an alex doll I picked up recently; she is about 15.5 inches tall and my understanding is similar in proportion to tonner.
yarwel
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:00 pm

They might have been designed for Tammy, Sindy, and Lori dolls who are chunkier than Barbie.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby yarwel » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:53 am

DollyKim wrote:They might have been designed for Tammy, Sindy, and Lori dolls who are chunkier than Barbie.

That's very possible. Pattern 5785 is a reprint of a vintage pattern so it was probably designed for dolls popular during the 60's(?).
Overall the package was very vague about the size; it only said that they were for 11.5 inch dolls. Plus, the illustration for the reprint shows barbie-like dolls wearing the clothes.
yarwel
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:37 am

I looked at that pattern, I think we have the original somewhere, and others from that time. They are wonky when it comes to sizing. I've had the same problem with many 80s "fashion doll" patterns as if they're trying to fit Barbie and Darci/Jem with the same pattern. Guy clothes in the 80s are impossibly big.

All that being said some older patterns make a good start for Obitsu and Volks 1/6 dolls.

When in doubt with a pattern use some scrap fabric and try a basic version of the outfit you want.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby CrazyYoungCatLady » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:21 pm

I've bought 2 patterns from RawKiss on Etsy and they are so easy to follow. Everything turns out really cute, too. https://www.etsy.com/shop/RawKiss
Do you have any idea what that will do to my complexion? People will mistake me for a planetarium!

My Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/DollyCouture55
CrazyYoungCatLady
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby SillyLilPuppet » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:50 pm

Has anyone picked up Butterick 5864? Its one of their vintage rereleases. Its says its for 18" dolls but I can't figure out if they mean vintage or modern. The dolls on the cover are the more curvy vintage girls but the sketches on the back look more American Girl chunky. The only info on the packet itself says "Vintage and modern 18" dolls vary in size. Fit pattern to doll" with no indication of which they're aiming for. The only 18" modern girl I have is an oversize oddball anyway so can't compare to her, but it looks too big for my vintage girls (in storage so can't directly compare).

On the plus side, if you know some basic classic tailoring (adding darts, slimming seams and lengthening) you can make this work for older-style SD13 size girls. The pattern includes a ballerina like dress, a sweet everyday dress, a prom gown, a coat with hood, capri jeans, and a babydoll top and bloomer pj set.
<>My Tumblr<>My Etsy<>Come chat!<>
Too many dolls, I give up.
SillyLilPuppet
Dolly Pardon

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Total Sewing