Go to footer

Hello Again! Q, A, & S

The real reason you all come here and we know it.

Re: Hello Again! Q, A, & S

Postby K2! » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:21 pm

I blame Kizuna.
And increased work load on the job.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby davidd » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:23 pm

Having, as I mentioned, read through this entire topic, I was aware of the increased workplace workload. I suspect Kiz has an active hand in that. More overtime means more cash for more online shopping.

Since this is the MADh Vinyl Q&A topic, how about a Q:

When did MADh Vinyl actually begin? As in, what year was the first vignette, about Anna-Marie and the new shoes, photographed and posted?

I know this forum has been around since 2010-ish, which is also the copyright date on the MADh Vinyl web site, but my understanding is that the stories were previously posted to earlier forums. When did the vinyl madhness begin?
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby K2! » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:40 pm

davidd wrote:Since this is the MADh Vinyl Q&A topic, how about a Q:
When did MADh Vinyl actually begin? As in, what year was the first vignette, about Anna-Marie and the new shoes, photographed and posted?
I know this forum has been around since 2010-ish, which is also the copyright date on the MADh Vinyl web site, but my understanding is that the stories were previously posted to earlier forums. When did the vinyl madhness begin?

Sherman, set the WABAC machine for March ‎2008. Place: Dreamland, sister forum of the Junky Spot Forum. About a dozen episodes were posted to Dreamland, which suffered an unrecoverable hack a short time later. Then the 13doll forum was born to replace Dreamland. Episodes were then posted to 13doll till it's demise circa 2010. MV didn't become MV till the separate episodes were consolidated on Dollieh Sanctuary.
Or so they tell me.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby Tijeria » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:43 am

Question: would you be open to publishing the whole lot in book format?
Please feel free to check out my site and store:
http://www.reafsrealm.com
https://www.etsy.com/shop/AlleghenyMoreland?ref=l2-shop-info-avatar
I get lazy if no one's hassling me.
Tijeria
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby K2! » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:17 am

Tijeria wrote:Question: would you be open to publishing the whole lot in book format?

I have explored printing an MV book several years ago. Print on demand is relatively affordable for text, but when you start talking about larger format, full color pages, unit prices start to skyrocket. I did a quick look at today's prices and a 8.5"X11" book with 241 pages (225 color, 16 B&W) worked out to a print price per book (not retail) of about $50 for 24 units plus shipping. So to recoup shipping and other costs the cover price might have to be in the neighborhood of $75.
I hadn't really explored a conventional print run, but I have spoken to people who have gone that route. The cost per page would be less, but then you get into minimum print runs, which could be 500+ units and have to be paid for in full up front ($$$$$).
There's a lot to the whole process and money plays a large role in the whole mess. The second big factor would be that demand would be relatively low. This isn't Calvin and Hobbes (I wish).
Something in the print medium may happen someday (to some extent) just so there is a copy of MV that wouldn't disappear into the ether.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby davidd » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:48 am

Gee, thanks, Mister Peabody, for the historical background information.

Regarding a printed book, another option would be eBook for Kindle. Color Kindles and the Kindle app for tablets and phones handle images quite well these days.

Amazon even offers "Kindle Comic Creator" to simplify the formatting of visual novels:

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G201217140

A question I would have about such an undertaking: what are the copyright issues, if any, involved in using "store bought" figures? Are the dolls and other toys and accessories – or, specifically images of dolls and toys – subject to "intellectual property" protections? Posting the stories online for free as a "hobby" is one thing. Attempting to sell the stories might lead to copyright and trademark complications.

After reading through this topic, I know you encountered an issue having calendars printed because of "Star Wars" imagery, even though it was fictionalized, parody versions of the "Star Wars" art that should have been allowed as "fair use" and "parody." Some years ago I wanted to have some of my Pinky Street figure photos printed (for postcards or a calendar or something), and the printer refused, citing copyright concerns over printing images featuring commercially produced toy products.

Who would think a topic as seemingly simple as taking pictures of dolls could get so complicated so quickly? Well, I suppose that taking the pictures is simple. Posting the pictures is simple. But selling the pictures, or selling anything in which those pictures comprise a significant element, is where things get sticky.

Okay, how about a relatively easy question: that cool leopard print sofa that appears in the early stories with Hyatt and Anna-Marie – did you construct that yourself, or was it an item you purchased?
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby K2! » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:50 pm

davidd wrote:Gee, thanks, Mister Peabody, for the historical background information.

Regarding a printed book, another option would be eBook for Kindle. Color Kindles and the Kindle app for tablets and phones handle images quite well these days.

Amazon even offers "Kindle Comic Creator" to simplify the formatting of visual novels:

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G201217140

I'll have to look into that. My biggest concern is making the images large enough so that the text is legible.

A question I would have about such an undertaking: what are the copyright issues, if any, involved in using "store bought" figures? Are the dolls and other toys and accessories – or, specifically images of dolls and toys – subject to "intellectual property" protections? Posting the stories online for free as a "hobby" is one thing. Attempting to sell the stories might lead to copyright and trademark complications.

A friend here on the forum did a book with doll images and was able to secure permissions from all the manufacturers of her dolls (about ten different ones) except Volks. Fancy that, Hedda.

After reading through this topic, I know you encountered an issue having calendars printed because of "Star Wars" imagery, even though it was fictionalized, parody versions of the "Star Wars" art that should have been allowed as "fair use" and "parody." Some years ago I wanted to have some of my Pinky Street figure photos printed (for postcards or a calendar or something), and the printer refused, citing copyright concerns over printing images featuring commercially produced toy products.

The calendar print issue was with Zazzle, which does print certain Disney stuff including Star Wars designs. They probably have a specific contract with Disney so they were unable to print other "unapproved" stuff, not because of copyright, but because of their Disney contract. I found another place to print the calendars and they had no problems printing them.

Okay, how about a relatively easy question: that cool leopard print sofa that appears in the early stories with Hyatt and Anna-Marie – did you construct that yourself, or was it an item you purchased?

The leopard sofa was an ebay purchase. I have made some doll furniture and set pieces, notably Diamond's lab table and the lich's castle. I don't do a lot of it as I usually build it like real furniture so it can take some time and sets can take a lot of storage space. MADh Vinyl World Headquarters is pretty small and the girls and their stuff take up almost half of the available square footage.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby davidd » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:23 pm

As I mentioned, I have begun reading the adventures of the MADh Vinyl crew on the MADh Vinyl web site. Now I know who the pink-eared cutie who graces the footer of the Dollieh Sanctuary pages is.

I see parallels and similarities between the original incarnations of the MADh Vinyl characters (I do not yet know if or how they will evolve over time) and the girls in the Kiz & Cheeto story. Kiz reminds me of a hybrid between Diamond's intellect and Hyatt's mischievous nature. Chitose is similar to Anna-Marie in her innocence and gullibility, although more human and with a better command of English. Also, their "worlds" are similar; or at least, the original world of MADh Vinyl was similar to that of Kiz & Co., but while the new story seems to be more or less firmly set in the "real world," MADh adds elements of magic and non-human entities.

Are the MADh Vinyl figures the same scale as the Smart Dolls? Or are they 1:4 scale?
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby K2! » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:04 pm

davidd wrote:Are the MADh Vinyl figures the same scale as the Smart Dolls? Or are they 1:4 scale?

It depends on where in the story you are. Early on Diamond was a 60cm then a 55cm. Hyatt was a modified (shortened) 60cm. Anna Marie was an old Parabox 47cm. For some time that's all the Obitsu bodies that were available. When Miyuki was introduced, she was my first 50cm. Over the years more variations of the 50cm body were introduced by Yamato Toys. Gradually most of the characters were switched to 50cm and 48cm bodies.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby davidd » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:00 pm

Has my attempt to read through the entire MADh Vinyl saga really been on hold since late February? Apparently so... even though the web site is currently set as the home page on my iPad.

Real Life has been a bit too real these past few (several) months, but I have not forgotten Anna-Marie and the gang, and hope to get back to their adventures soon.
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to MADh Vinyl