Go to footer

#39 The Butler pt.2

Tales of love, death and more angst than you can shake a stick at - plus some comedy thrown in for good measure.

#39 The Butler pt.2

Postby Trethowan » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:16 pm

#39 The Butler
Part Two

EDIT: Sorry. I changed the name and added a picture at the very end. I'd forgotten it! Oops.

“Ina? What are you doing here?” the maid whispered. “There are warrants out for anyone known to have supported Prince Foster. They suspect your involvement, you can’t be here.”

“Is my brother safe?”

“Yes, I believe so, but you aren’t. The Oracle Glade won’t be safe for you, either.”

Ina said, “It is terribly important I find Prince Foster. Have you heard anything?”

“The weeds, thistles, and thorny bushes have sided with the Regent. He’s promised them less hedging and garden access in winter. And there’s something else. The willows are weeping in Lavender Vale. There was something about a portal… I didn’t hear the rest.”

“The guard has been deployed so you’ll have to hurry, if you’re going.”

Meanwhile, in the Lavender Vale…

“Just out for a walk,” mused the butler. “A nice, relaxing walk in the Vale with my lovely walking fan. Oh yes, I love a good walk.”

“Well. That’s one dead fairy,” the butler said. "Starting to smell a bit, don't you think?"

“Are you Gelfrey?” Micah asked.

“Sometimes,” said the strange little creature.

“Well, then, let’s have a feel.” The butler patted Micah’s face and shoulders. “Awfully large head for one so short. Are you one of those walking pumpkins I’ve heard about? You do smell rather odd.”

“I’m sitting down,” Micah said. He waved his hands in front of the fairy’s face and discovered Gelfrey was blind.

Gelfrey said, “Giants fled the region ages ago so what are you then? Oh… a human perhaps?” Micah explained their story and told Gelfrey that they were in a terrible rush.

“I should have known he was hiding in Earth’s realm. He always had a fascination with you humans. Had this ridiculous theory that the giants migrated to your world. Perhaps you’re the descendent of a giant?”

“Well, I doubt that. I’m pretty short for a human.”

“Well, then. Let’s see about bringing him back, shall we? He’ll complain if he sits too long. Gets stiff, you see. It takes a while to work the rigor out of the limbs and you know how he complains. My dear Prince Foster, always complaining.” Gelfrey laughed a strange little hee-hee-hee, though it was less a laugh and more a prolonged announcement of the syllables. Micah shuddered. This was one strange fairy.

At Gelfrey’s Cabin

“This is my secret cabin,” Gelfrey told Micah. “This is where I play with dead things. Sometimes live things but usually dead things. Or sometimes I take a nap. Oh yes! I do love a good nap.”

“Now then, let’s see about restoring your spirit to your body, shall we?” The fairy butler said a rather innocuous sounding spell, told Foster to come back to his body or he’d inhabit it with a toad’s spirit. To Micah he said, “I do special requests. I once restored a fellow into the body of a dragon. He was rather keen on fire-breathing, you see.” He grinned. “If you’re ever tired of being a human, look me up. Or in your case, down. I’ll find you a nice body to live in. Or you can bring your own. Would you mind if I dissected yours when you’re done with it? One has to get a feel for these sorts of things.”

“Um, no… that’s…” Micah blanched. “I’m good. But thanks all the same.”

“NOT A TOAD!” Foster shrieked. “Ah… I’m alive…” he gasped for air then blinked up at Gelfrey. "Who the hell are you? Wait. Gelfrey?"

"Your faithful butler, of course. Do you like my new body? I found it in the glade. I'm rather fond of this one. It's young and the back is nice and supple. No aches in the mornings. Allow me to serve you some food, my prince. I have a nice broth in my trunk, here.”

“The broth is here somewhere,” Gelfrey said. “I found fresh eyeballs and mushrooms at the market last month. Should be nice and ripe by now. I do love a good, ripe broth.”

After the pair politely declined Gelfrey’s kind offer of broth they discussed their options. Gelfrey told Foster he’d not be able to do magic for at least a fortnight and it would be over a month before he restored enough magical energy to open a portal back to Micah's realm.

“It isn’t good enough,” Foster said. “I need a portal now. Now, damn it, my friend’s life is on the line.”

Gelfrey sighed. “You have no choice then. You’ll have to pass through the Infinity Gate beyond the Jade Forest.”

"The borders of the Jade Forest are heavily protected." Foster said, “We’ll never make it past the guards. Or the dragons.”

“The Pan Eolande Snail Racing Championship is on Moonday. Security will be stretched to the limit. I’m certain I could get you past the gates. You'll have to deal with the dragons yourself.”

Outside, Vargas knocked on the door to warn them of the guard's approach.

“The guard is here?” Gelfrey said. “Impossible!”

Meanwhile…

TBC

NEXT EPISODE:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10485
Last edited by Trethowan on Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trethowan
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Re: #39 Simply One Hell of a Butler

Postby Lamia of the Dark » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:32 am

:o

I like Gelfrey. He's so nice and helpful and obsessed with corpses. :lol:
I have so many dolls that I can't fit all their names in my signature anymore. @__@
Lamia of the Dark

Postby Trethowan » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:24 am

Lamia of the Dark wrote::o

I like Gelfrey. He's so nice and helpful and obsessed with corpses. :lol:

And a snazzy dresser!

hehe... thanks. It's invasion of the body snatchers.
Trethowan

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:49 am

Trethowan wrote:
“This is where I play with dead things. Sometimes live things but usually dead things. Or sometimes I take a nap. Oh yes! I do love a good nap.”

I lol this. This is quite an interesting butler indeed.
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby Greyhaunt » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:35 am

So. Foster's friend's life is on the line. Who knew he even had a friend (other than Ina). Who could he be talking about?
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby Trethowan » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:04 am

Greyhaunt wrote:So. Foster's friend's life is on the line. Who knew he even had a friend (other than Ina). Who could he be talking about?

Ah! That'd be the currently murdered Ivan. Since it's been over a year between stories #32 and the recent #33 I had to write a big catch-up sort of thing at the start of #33. Abe had cast a shaman spell on Foster and Ivan a while back, putting him in a coma-like state. Zo killed him. I think in #34... or #35.
Trethowan

Re: #39 The Butler pt.2

Postby zirconmermaid » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:59 am

This was a treat! Thank you!
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Re: #39 The Butler pt.2

Postby Trethowan » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:20 pm

zirconmermaid wrote:This was a treat! Thank you!

*hugs* Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Trethowan

Return to Board index

Return to Photostory Zone