Go to footer

EXALTED: Episode 2: Bad News... (repost)

Tales of love, death and more angst than you can shake a stick at - plus some comedy thrown in for good measure.

EXALTED: Episode 2: Bad News... (repost)

Postby JanetT » Sun May 02, 2010 1:21 pm

Based on EXALTED, an epic fantasy role-playing game by White Wolf Game Studio
Characters and story by Janet Trautvetter and Myranda Kalis Sarro

Previously:
Episode 1: The Shadow Road

V'neef Citan: Once there were five of us.... Taran and Tchiat, Zihan, myself and Genshaku.... the Five Ascendant Clouds, we called ourselves, because that was the dormitory we lived in during our years in school. We had other friends, but the five of us bonded at a level beyond friendship, or so we thought at the time.

V'neef Citan: It was our dearest dream, one so cherished as to never be spoken, that each of us would receive the blessings of the Dragons and Exalt into a different Aspect, so that between the five of us, we might have one of each element: Air, Earth, Fire, Water and Wood, and so form a perfect five-point elemental star, a force never to be underestimated...

Those were the dreams of children, brought up on tales of glory and wonder, taught to believe we were the most blessed of all children ever born, of the people and heritage favored by the gods. By the time we had reached our mid-teens, we saw our dreams begin to fade.... for one of us would never know the blessing of the Dragons. And the rest of us were pulled apart in different directions, for the plans of our families would take priority over childish dreams.

But dreams are very powerful things..... even the dreams of children. And I have never forgotten that five-point elemental star, or the brilliance that might have been.

In the House V'neef wing of the Imperial Jade Palace

CITAN: "Spring brings renewal. Even my little garden is waking up."

CITAN: "I can smell the new life in the running sap, smell the fresh earth ready for planting."

CITAN: "The cherry tree doesn't know it lives within a vast prison of stone. It brings me hope. Perhaps I too can find renewal in the spring."

Citan's servant, Ren, comes into the garden bearing a sealed envelope.

REN: "My lord. A letter has come for you. It bears the seal of the Immaculate Order."

CITAN: "Thank you, Ren."

"...regret to inform you, pursuant to your recent inquiry, that our Most Enlightened brother Mnemon Caras Zihan only six months ago gave his life in the service of the Immaculate Dragons, in the city of Chiaroscuro...."

Struck with sorrow, Citan sinks down onto the bench....

CITAN: "Zihan... no. This cannot be... Why did I not write you long before now?"

CITAN: "Six months ago? Six months! And here I thought bad news always traveled farthest fastest.... yet I heard nothing of this from his family."

CITAN: "Not that they would have mentioned it. House Mnemon has greater things to concern itself about, I suppose. Hardly worth a formal announcement or the wearing of mourning bands by the dedicated Senator Mnemon Ronsu to commemorate the passing of one forgotten son."

CITAN: "One who was merely human.... who was my friend."

REN: "Bad news, my lord...?"

CITAN: "Yes. If I have any appointments today, cancel them, and find my most somber robes. I, at least, will take a time of mourning for my oldest and dearest friend. My first friend."

REN: "I am sorry to hear of your loss, my lord. "

CITAN: "What do you have there?"

REN: "Another letter, my lord. It arrived but a few minutes after the first, by private messenger. From House Sesus."

Citan takes the letter. Ren bows once again, and departs.

CITAN: "I know that hand. Is Tchiat back in the city?

"Bad news may travel fastest, but it seems the good lags not far behind."

"My dearest Citan — I write to tell you we are home for a while — to attend our cousin's wedding, so we are told, but it would not surprise either Taran or I if our own weddings were being planned as well. In fact, I know that Taran is rather looking forward to it. You will have to fill me in on the current crop of contenders whose families might be seeking a Sesus match, I want to make sure he's not being taken advantage of. I have missed you, sweet Blossom—"

CITAN: "Though she will mourn as much as I to hear this other news — perhaps even more so. She once cared deeply for Zihan, she would want to know...

"I will write to her at once—no. This is not news that should be delivered in a letter."

CITAN: "I will invite them here, Tchiat and Taran both, for she will need her brother's comfort when she hears these tidings."

CITAN: "And Genshaku—I will invite him as well. He, too, was Zihan's friend... and mine, once. Perhaps this time, he will deign to answer me."

CITAN: "We were all so very close, back in school. Twelve years.... seems like ages ago.

"What renewal will I find in this sad spring?"

---------------------------------------------
COMING SOON:

Episode 3: Thicker than Water
This space for rent.....
JanetT
Dolly Pardon

Re: EXALTED: Episode 2: Bad News... (repost)

Postby Aeilia » Sun May 02, 2010 1:52 pm

I'm enjoying this! They seem so real. Intrigued, what will happen next!
Aeilia
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby leopardessmoon » Sun May 02, 2010 7:20 pm

yay! ok, Im hooked!
leopardessmoon

Postby maywong » Mon May 03, 2010 7:25 am

Oooo, you add some new pixs. to this story.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Return to Board index

Return to Photostory Zone