Go to footer

First Ever DS Sew-Along!

They're too sexy for their clothing - but they have to wear them anyway! Did you buy it? Did you make it? Who cares - let'm strut their stuff here!

First Ever DS Sew-Along!

Postby Greyhaunt » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:20 pm

Welcome to the first ever Dollieh Sanctuary Sew-Along!

I hear you asking "What the heck is that?" Well very simply it's just a way for us to enjoy making something for our doll and doing it together. Essentially what you do is decide on something you'd like to sew for your doll, make a post in this thread where you say what you want to do and what doll you are doing it for. You can show a picture of a pattern with your announcement, or maybe a photo of something similar to what you plan to do, or the fabrics you are using - whatever. Then, maybe once a week or so (more often if you wish) you post an update. If you are having problems you can post and ask for help from other sewers/crafters in the group.

Now when I say sew, I'm using the term loosely because I know that some folks don't really use machines or needle and thread, but prefer glue guns and such. That's fine, this isn't a contest it's more of a support group, if you will LOL. There is no pressure here, I'm not going to make a hardcore deadline or anything because I know many people - myself included - do not have tons of time to work on doll clothes given their real life schedules, but that's ok :) We'll see how this goes since its the first time - I'm going to maybe guestimate it taking maybe two months? Maybe longer?

Anyway I really hope more folks will participate in this and share their fun and knowledge and inspirations!

So, as the beginner of this Sew-Along I'll start by posting my own project!
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

The Cookie Crumbles

Postby Greyhaunt » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:26 pm

My project is to make a pinafore style dress based on this vintage 1940s DuBarry pattern - the sleeveless version.
It will have the chocolate chip cookie fabric in the center and back, with a solid red on the sides. I haven't decided yet if the ruffle will be one of these fabrics, or maybe a third for contrast - I'll have to decide that when I get closer. I'm also thinking I may put a zipper in the back rather than using snaps (no way I'm doing tiny buttonholes).

The doll I'm aiming this for is a 50cm obitsu with larger chest. The pattern of the cookie fabric may be too big, if so I'll change to something different, but for now that's my aim.

Pattern

Fabrics
Image Image
Greyhaunt

Re: First Ever DS Sew-Along!

Postby Trethowan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:36 am

I love the pattern! I have a dress I've been wanting to make for my final MSD girl. I should post it here.
Trethowan
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby ShortNCuddlyAm » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:30 am

I'm in. Replying mostly so I can find it again easily as I haven't decided what I'm making yet. And it's a toss up between one of two dolls, too!
Remember, the reverse of stressed is desserts.
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
ShortNCuddlyAm
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:07 am

I love the pinafore dress, its so versatile. Would love to make one for upsized Helen if I can free up my time.

Always had trouble sewing up the back for the skirt piece.
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby richila » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:12 am

I am in! I just bought a new doll for my granddaughter based on the recommendation that she fits in Tiny Betsy clothes. I have a doll trunk and she will get the doll, trunk and wardrobe for Christmas.
richila
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby Greyhaunt » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:39 am

Hurray - great to see folks interested :) Let's try and post our project info maybe by next monday (although again, no hard deadline and folks can jump in at any point. If this goes well I may start doing some themed sew-alongs in the future!

Trethowan; You MUST join :) I look at this as forcing myself to stop being lazy LOL
ShortnCuddly : No need to firmly commit to one doll - you can change your mind during the process if you need to :)
Iwa Hoshi: Once I've sized and fitted it I'll be happy to share the pattern to others with a doll in the size range! What I like about this one is that there is no skirt/bodice break like so many other pinafore dresses - and the ruffle going to the hem. Naturally mine will be shorter than the pattern version since the intended doll likes her dress on the tarty side!
Richila: That sounds like an exciting project, can't wait to see it started!
Greyhaunt

Postby kenaiqueen » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:48 pm

I'm in. I have 2 more fall dresses to make for my Ellowynes and then some Halloween dresses. And I'm so behind! I'm trying to use Gracefarie's 'Seasons' pattern for the fall dresses and I have a stack of quilting cottons in great fall colors.
Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.
kenaiqueen
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Aeilia » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:01 am

I think this is a great idea! :D I'll join in. This may inspire me to start sewing for my poor wardrobe deprived girls. My first project will be a dress, maybe more, for my Soulkid Apple. I'll start with something simple, not having sewn much for a time. Choice of pattern and fabrics to come.

And Greyhaunt, love your pattern and fabric. It's going to be so cute!
Aeilia
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby Greyhaunt » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:00 am

Kenaiqueen - Great to see you joining! I've got some gracefaerie patterns but haven't used them yet. I'm hoping more of our frequent sewers willl join us to help inspire others!

Aeilia: Part of my reason for doing a sew-along was to encourage folks to do some projects :) Sometimes it's easier to get going if you know others are doing it too :) I found that cookie fabric at a goodwill in a bag of quilting scraps and knew I had to have it :)

And remember to post some pictures of your patterns/inspirations/fabrics folks!
Greyhaunt

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Fashionista Revolution