Go to footer

2nd DS Sew-along and Sleepover Challenge

They're too sexy for their clothing - but they have to wear them anyway! Did you buy it? Did you make it? Who cares - let'm strut their stuff here!

2nd DS Sew-along and Sleepover Challenge

Postby Greyhaunt » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:02 pm

As the traffic on the first sew-along seems to have died off, I figure it's time for a new one and a bit of a challenge to go with it. As before there is no real time limit on this, you finish when you finish, posting updates/questions is encouraged and the idea is to have fun. The challenge is simply my way of throwing out a suggestion for a type of garment - you do NOT have to take up the challenge to participate - I just thought it might encourage some stragglers :)

Again, this is for any and all sizes/types of dolls, any and all sewing skill levels. Make a post where you let us know what doll you are sewing for and what you'd like to make them. If you have pics of fabrics or inspirational patterns/images then include them by all means!

As for the challenge: Sleepwear/Lingerie
Naughty or nice, innocent or vampish - your choice so let's make something for your boy or girl to sleep in (or maybe not sleep in as the case may be).

OK, since everyone is leaning towards either undies or jammies I've renamed this the official Sleepover challenge LOL. Undies are still acceptable (as is anything else really since the "challenge" is just for fun) because some people only sleep in those after all :)
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Re: 2nd DS Sew-along and Pseudo Challenge

Postby Greyhaunt » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:08 pm

My project - which is what inspired the challenge - is two-fold. I'm going to make a slinky floaty peignoir (negligee) for my 50cm Obitsu Sherris from some lovely see-through red chiffon and a more concealing 1940s style full-length robe/peignoir from some lovely sheer fabric that is offwhite with roses.

The peignoir will be based on a 1970s pattern (photo soon) from a now defunct pattern company called Sew-Lovely. I'm not sure which of several robe patterns I'll use yet for the second piece, but I'm leaning towards a Butterick pattern that was reprinted a year ago. I actually obtained one of the original 1940s copies of that pattern, but its so fragile I'll be using the reprint to work from.

Photos coming soon :)
Greyhaunt

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:18 pm

This is tempting, always wanted to work with lacey stuff. Will try for Big Helen if I can free up spring cleaning time.
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby WhiteDove01s » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:43 pm

This has some ironic timing. You see, my tape measure recently arrived and I've been taking measurements of everyone. After that, the first thing I was going to do was try to solve the Underwear Shortage. Now, I know the challenge is sleepwear, not underwear, but I was planning to start with old-style Kelly and Tommy... and babies DO sleep in their diapers!

So, if that would be sufficiently in-theme and anyone really wants to see me try to cover a Barbie baby butt with itty bitty diapies, I think I can take some pics along the way. :) As long as I don't get distracted, of course. :)
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Greyhaunt » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:48 pm

Whitedove01s - the challenge is purely an option, not at all a requirement for participating in a sew-along :) And I did include "lingerie" which could easily stretch to underwear (if you'll pardon the bit of a pun).

Seriously though, anyone can sew anything, the only real requirement is sharing :)
Greyhaunt

Postby WhiteDove01s » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:06 pm

Well, in that case, say hello to my test subjects! This Tommy and Kelly pair came out of a box found in the back room.
Tommy's hair was surprisingly salvageable tho it remains a little frizzed. Kelly's sadly, had a clump of glue in it I couldn't get out, hence the buzz cut. She's awaiting a reroot, which is awaiting some needles that I think have gotten lost in the mail...
Also visible is the much much larger baby doll diaper I hope to make a downsized version of. :)
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby she_flame » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:41 am

I'll take part, if there is no deadline. As I have been thinking about doing lingerie for my Aurelia (Doll Chateau Agatha), the theme fits right on. ^^ But as i have some real tailoring done, making the doll clothes is not top of my priority list.
she_flame
Dolly Pardon

Diaper, Part 1: Paper Towel Drafting

Postby WhiteDove01s » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:46 am

Apparently, I can't just do something simple and be happy with it. I resized the general shape of the dolly diaper, to end up with this:

At which point my brain insisted it didn't really look like a diaper. Eventually, and after much fussing, I ended up with a different pattern that involves two pattern pieces, each of which is cut twice. Also velcro, elastic, acrylic paint (maybe), and 1/8 inch seam allowances that will need to be handsewn but I think I can get away with overcast stitch.

However, I think the paper towel test of that version does look a lot more like a diaper. (Note, it contains no actual elastic, I just pinched it and taped it down where elastic goes. Real elastic in real fabric will look better.)
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Taking a break from it for the night (er, morning. I have a weird schedule right now). I think Kelly needs a nap.

So... what do the rest of you think? And does anyone else use paper towels (instead of cloth) and white glue (instead of thread) to test out patterns in order to save supplies while drafting?
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby ShortNCuddlyAm » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:37 am

WhiteDove01s - looks good - the changes you've made for the second version does look a lot more like a real nappy!

I'm in (although still need to finish the first one - it's almost done, too!) - I've been meaning to make dressing gowns for some of the crew, and maybe pyjamas for the yeti's Loonette.
Remember, the reverse of stressed is desserts.
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
ShortNCuddlyAm
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Jobee » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:14 am

A challenge makes this even more interesting! And Comrade has nothing, literally, so this would be a good start for him. And I'll make something sweet for Amiga too. I'll try to keep this up to date with my progress.

Comrade:
- undershirt
- boxers
- socks

Amiga:
- pretty bra
- pretty undies
- thigh-highs
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Next

Return to Board index