Go to footer

2nd DS Sew-along and Sleepover Challenge

They're too sexy for their clothing - but they have to wear them anyway! Did you buy it? Did you make it? Who cares - let'm strut their stuff here!

Re: 2nd DS Sew-along and Sleepover Challenge

Postby WhiteDove01s » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:57 am

Sorry for long delay. I did look off real cloth diaper patterns when drafting, and the 'padding' layer is pretty much only a middle insert. The problem originates in that, once the seams are done, there are essentially four layers of fabric there. And there's not much way to avoid that without not doing seams, which would look raggy. I'm going to have to try a few things, I just haven't had the time yet. I'm not out of ideas yet...
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby she_flame » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:16 pm

My plans changed, as I got my WithDoll girl home, and didn't had anything for her to wear. So, instead of trying making underwaer for Aurelia, I did some to Akiko. This is firts version, and as you can see, it doesn't fit properly. I have plans to do second version (maybe from same fabric, or not) to fix fitting problems.

she_flame
Dolly Pardon

Postby Jobee » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:27 pm

Comrade's boxers, take 2! Too big.
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby WhiteDove01s » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:48 pm

Finished diaper redraft, got new version all cut out and partly assembled... can't complete at the moment due to interference from cat.
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby WhiteDove01s » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:41 pm

Ok, so I put the second version of the diaper together only to have it somehow end up worse than the first. Though at least the tabs lay flat on the second version. I still don't understand how changing just that one part messed so much else up.

Anyhow, I drafted a third version. I actually had some hopes that this time I might end up with something I could live with. And, if i didn't, I wouldn't have enough plain white cotton left to try again unless I ever find where all the rest of it went. (I have a bad feeling the Evil Overlord decided it would make nice cleaning rags at some point without telling me.)

Anyhow, I got so far, had a few doubts that this try might not work either... but I didn't really get to see because when I got to hemming the sewing machine did this:

I don't know why. I didn't change the tension or anything else. But I don't think I can get that mess out and, as I said, I just don't have the fabric on hand to try again. So, at this point I'll just have to say I've completely failed the challenge, have to bow out of the sew-along unless there's some future development, and need to go watch funny videos or something to deal with the ball of depression/frustration this has caused.

Really, I picked a diaper because I wanted to start off with something easy.

(update at 5am from original post at about 7:41 pm...)

Sorry about the angstball, I really had just about had it. While cleaning off the desk of all the failed draft attempts I found one last scrap of cotton just barely big enough to give it one more try. And I really wish my computer wasn't being a beep right now... it's refusing to read the SD card to let me get the picture off it and uploaded to share. Because I finally made a diaper. I will share a picture probably in the morning, as my laptop might cooperate after a reboot. Right now, I am having celebratory hot cocoa and then going to sleep.

Also, tho I initially planned to keep going on with undies... taking a month to make a diaper has left me a little burned out on underthings at the moment, so I think I'll stick with little Tommy and Kelly for a bit and see about making some footie pjs and other baby clothes. That would still fit the sleepover theme.

In short, I guess I'm back in. XD

Update at 8:33 pm since no one else has replied yet and this seems better than doubleposting... Here are the pictures.
Image Tabs lay flat: Check
Image Front View
Image Side view
Image Image Back Views. Had to put a dart in to make the waist fit right.
Image Yep, I think I can live with this.
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Aeilia » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:16 am

WhiteDove, congratulations on your success! It looks really good! I know how difficult it is to sew for such small dollies!

My update: So far, I have nothing to show but partially drafted patterns. Hopefully, I can get something put together soon!
Aeilia
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby WhiteDove01s » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:51 am

Aeilia wrote:WhiteDove, congratulations on your success! It looks really good! I know how difficult it is to sew for such small dollies!

Thanks! I swear Kelly's just as weirdly proportioned in her own way as older Barbie. But I have a pattern now! On file and everything in a little folder labeled 'diaper'.

The onesie attempts are actually going faster so far. I couldn't find a tutorial anywhere that explained how to do an envelope-neck opening in any way I could wrap my mind around (or that didn't involve bias tape, and no way am I even going to try making bias tape in 1/6 scale without even an iron), so the first version (ok, the first one to possibly be worth using good fabric on - it's actually version 8-and will be version 9 after a last couple tweeks) has little shoulder tabs instead.
And, no, that's not the good fabric. XD That's the draft in old stained knit scrap.
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby kida_40061 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:40 am

WhiteDove01s wrote:
Aeilia wrote:WhiteDove, congratulations on your success! It looks really good! I know how difficult it is to sew for such small dollies!

Thanks! I swear Kelly's just as weirdly proportioned in her own way as older Barbie. But I have a pattern now! On file and everything in a little folder labeled 'diaper'.

The onesie attempts are actually going faster so far. I couldn't find a tutorial anywhere that explained how to do an envelope-neck opening in any way I could wrap my mind around (or that didn't involve bias tape, and no way am I even going to try making bias tape in 1/6 scale without even an iron), so the first version (ok, the first one to possibly be worth using good fabric on - it's actually version 8-and will be version 9 after a last couple tweeks) has little shoulder tabs instead.
And, no, that's not the good fabric. XD That's the draft in old stained knit scrap.

Once again, congratulations on your success of sewing those diapers.

When I looked at your picture, I just realized I have the same type of doll that you have, so if you need help with pattern drafting. I maybe able to help you. I am currently not in the sew-a-long, because I am working a personal sewing project. I may join after I finish that sewing project.
kida_40061
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby Greyhaunt » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:58 am

Hmmm, I know the type of neckline you are talking about and I KNOW I've seen a pattern for them somewhere that involved dolls and may not have involved bias tape. I will hunt through my pattern collection and see if I can find it for you!

Alternately, go to a Goodwill and pick up a cheap onsie for $1, take it apart carefully and BOOM, you have a pattern you can copy, and size down. And if you get a clean one (i've seen completely unused ones there at that price) you can even use the fabric :)

Ever seen one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/200780224969?lpid=82&chn=ps You just cut your strip of fabric, pull it through and iron as it comes out. Makes the most awesomely simple job of bias making and they come in many sizes. I wuv mine!
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby WhiteDove01s » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:46 am

kida_40061 wrote:Once again, congratulations on your success of sewing those diapers.

Thanks! :)

kida_40061 wrote:When I looked at your picture, I just realized I have the same type of doll that you have, so if you need help with pattern drafting. I maybe able to help you.

If you have any tips on how to set itty bitty sleeves, I'd love to hear em. My one draft so far with sleeves has them pre-attached to the top, but that's not going to work for envelope-neck if I ever figure that out. I'm also pondering a version with Raglan sleeves, which should be a good deal easier than trying to machine sew something tiny enough to get shoved down the hole into the bobbin compartment... XD I'm thinking of developing several variants on the onesie now that I have one that works...

Greyhaunt wrote:Alternately, go to a Goodwill and pick up a cheap onsie for $1, take it apart carefully and BOOM, you have a pattern you can copy, and size down. And if you get a clean one (i've seen completely unused ones there at that price) you can even use the fabric

XD Actually, my fabric I'm using DOES come from a onesie that was in a bag of old baby clothes found in the Back Room. There were two short-sleeved ones with envelope neck, one with a regular neck and two buttons in the back (I imagine that was a nightmare to get on a real baby), and one set of blue footie PJs with raglan sleeves that I'm hoping to 'reverse engineer'. Plus I also found some free patterns online for onesies with the usual 'envelope neck', tho all of them use bias tape.

It's not the shape of the pieces I'm having trouble figuring out, it's the assembly. I'll try to explain, tho I'm not good at that and may resort to technical terms like 'thingy'... XD

All the directions I've seen for envelope-neck tops involve assembling the sleeve first and then sewing the side of the top to it and wrapping the 'points' at the top around in the process to form the neck. Now picture trying to do that in Kelly scale, with a sleeve so tiny I can't even really use sewing pins in it. And the one time I tried to sew the sleeves in and then do the sleeve and side-seams after... well, let's just say it Did Not Go Well. So, for now, I'm a little stumped on that neckline option. I still have two other variations to give a try first (Tho I may sidetrack into a nightgown before that for the challenge... and some bitty baby quilts)

Greyhaunt wrote:Ever seen one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2007802249 ... =82&chn=ps You just cut your strip of fabric, pull it through and iron as it comes out. Makes the most awesomely simple job of bias making and they come in many sizes. I wuv mine!

Ooo. Oddly, this reminds me of a thingy (there's that technical term again!) I had once ages ago for making strips for braided rag rugs. Anyway, I've added these to my wishlist as they do look very useful, but sometime after July... an iron is on my July shopping list. XD

Oh, and before I forget again, the finished 'button tab shoulder' onesie. (Or, it'll be 'button' tab someday, when I have some appropriate-sized (about 6mm?) little buttons in an appropriately cute shape to sew on the velcro tabs). And it's supposed to be a very pale mint green, I have no idea why it looks greyish that small, but it's actually not the camera's fault. Might be the lighting in here...
I let little Tommy be the model this time.
And, yes, he's wearing it over the diaper.
Here's how it fits without the diaper on - still good, just a wee bit baggy at the legs tho not when he's sitting. :)
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Fashionista Revolution