Go to footer

2nd DS Sew-along and Sleepover Challenge

They're too sexy for their clothing - but they have to wear them anyway! Did you buy it? Did you make it? Who cares - let'm strut their stuff here!

Re: 2nd DS Sew-along and Pseudo Challenge

Postby Greyhaunt » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:40 pm

Whitedove - ah yes, paper towels are used by many to mockup patterns on dolliehs! Cheaper than fabric and easy to work with :)

I think the pattern is coming along great! Looks like you'll be done before the rest of us start LOL
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby WhiteDove01s » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:47 pm

Greyhaunt wrote: Looks like you'll be done before the rest of us start LOL

With the first set of undies, maybe. XD I could move on through the process of solving the Great Underwear Shortage here... lots more dolls in need or underthings: I have old style Stacy, Skipper, Kevin, Barbie, Ken, an old 'gymnast style' barbie. And more coming in the mail. And just on my 'chara shelf' alone there's a phicen, bbi, regular obitsu male, slim obitsu male, liv (both girl and boy), cy-girl, a fashionista barbie, 27cm soft bust obitsu girl, tonner cameo... or just for sheer lulz I could try to put undies on the DUM droids.

Or I could deviate from my original plans and stick with the bitties through this and try to give Tommy and Kelly a little more of a layette set? Onesies shouldn't be too hard. Footie PJs could be more of a challenge... And they need blankies if it's sleepytime, which should be easy-peasy. (Unless my brain makes it difficult and I do mini quilts again. XD) This is getting tempting because in the search through a bag for some white knit for the diapers (I didn't dare use anything woven with those 1/8 inch seams and no fraycheck) I found some discarded baby clothes I'd been given for my fabric stash... and which I might be able to reverse-engineer...

I can't decide yet... any preferences for what the rest of you would rather see pic-spam of once the diapers are done?
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Greyhaunt » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:30 pm

Well in my experience the best place to get fabric for doll underwear is from human underwear! Not used, of course, but I've bought underwear packs and deconstructed them for their fabric and elastic many times :) Most famously I think are Josephine's Hello Kitty panties....which I have a photo of somewhere but I'll have to find it LOL.
Greyhaunt

Postby WhiteDove01s » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:41 pm

Sadly, I have no working transportation to go to anywhere to just pick up a pair of undies. On the upside, most of my own undies are just plain jersey cotton, same as t-shirts, so I figured thin white t-shirt cotton would work just as well. Of course, I've had to rethink that a bit for diapers, but I still think cotton will look ok based on pics I've seen of cloth diapers. (I'm half-hoping to later buy a roll of white contact paper tho and see if I can make 'disposable' diapers using that and gardening row fabric inside, just glued together. XD But that probably won't happen until at least summer. Supplies are always what slows me down here)
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Jobee » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:57 pm

Here's attempt 1 at undies for Comrade. Clearly I didn't leave enough space for his manlyness.

Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby Aeilia » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:26 pm

I'd like to join in on this. I haven't yet finished the first one, so hope that's not an issue. Holiday stuff sort of got in the way, but I'll continue working on it.

Every single member of my dolly family needs sleepwear, so it will be difficult knowing where to begin. Perhaps I should just work progressively through them all. I'm thinking some sort of pjs for the larger girls and warm nighties for the little ones. I need to take a look through patterns and fabrics, and see what will work for this.
Aeilia
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby WhiteDove01s » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:55 am

Here's a quick but pictureless update to let you know that my first attempt at assembly with actual fabric has not gone well. As in 'already broke one needle, not even a fifth of a way done' not well. I need to make a few adjustments to assembly plans, possibly cut new pieces, and really really wish I had access to my sewing machine.

I have pictures of the disaster, and will share when I have time, but today is going to be the monthly Bank Trip so it probably won't be today.
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Greyhaunt » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:42 am

Aeilia wrote:I'd like to join in on this. I haven't yet finished the first one, so hope that's not an issue. Holiday stuff sort of got in the way, but I'll continue working on it.

Every single member of my dolly family needs sleepwear, so it will be difficult knowing where to begin. Perhaps I should just work progressively through them all. I'm thinking some sort of pjs for the larger girls and warm nighties for the little ones. I need to take a look through patterns and fabrics, and see what will work for this.

LOL- sew -alongs are an informal thing so no problem if you are still working on your first one and want to multitask here as well :)

The more people talk about nighties the more I realize I wanted to make a flannel nightie for one of my 40cm obitsu, and a set of footie jammies for one of my yo-sd sized boys so this may be a very long sew-along!
Greyhaunt

Postby WhiteDove01s » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:38 am

Aeilia wrote:Every single member of my dolly family needs sleepwear, so it will be difficult knowing where to begin. Perhaps I should just work progressively through them all.

It's the same with mine, tho I was thinking underwear first... but am thinking I will also go through them all and make undies AND some kind of PJs or nightgown to sleep in before moving on to the next doll, going from smallest to largest.

It'll be like a big dolly sew along sleepover! XD

No, I haven't given up on the diapers. Nothing to update just yet due to arrival of both Aunt Flo and a distracting box of dollies who all needed washed and hair detangled. XD That's been sorted, PLUS I now have my sewing machine back! So I'm slightly redrafting the diaper pattern so I can machine sew it, and may have pics and actual progress... as soon as I remember how to thread the bobbin thingy and adjust tension...
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby yarwel » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:43 am

I'm in! I have a few more days of freedom before school starts again(and I'm certainly not going anywhere today since the weather is horrible here), and Rolant does need a new pajama shirt.
Here's a quick concept drawing and the fabric I plan to use.
Today I will throw together a prototype to check the fit.
yarwel
the walls have dolliehs

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Fashionista Revolution