Go to footer

2nd DS Sew-along and Sleepover Challenge

They're too sexy for their clothing - but they have to wear them anyway! Did you buy it? Did you make it? Who cares - let'm strut their stuff here!

Re: 2nd DS Sew-along and Pseudo Challenge

Postby Greyhaunt » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:20 pm

Goodness Yarwel, that's a pretty fancy design for a pajama! I think thatwould make an awesome daytime shirt :)
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Re: 2nd DS Sew-along and Sleepover Challenge

Postby WhiteDove01s » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:24 am

Ooo, that top does look really neat.

As for me, I have the pattern redrafted, new pieces cut out for both diapers, and have remembered how to thread the sewing machine and adjust the tension. However, I need more scrap fabric, and the scrap fabric pile is kept in boxes in the back room due to lack of space. The back room does not have heat, and it is currently below freezing here. It's below 70F (20C) in my room and I can't get it warmer, so I'm bundled up with gloves on just in here. There's no way I'm poking my nose back in that fridgebox until it warms up a smidge... which might be around Monday at current weather guesstimates.

While I have to wait, maybe I should start drafting on the Kelly and Tommy PJs. I still have access to paper towels.

What happened to the first diaper attempt? Oh, yes, I was going to explain that, wasn't I...

Ok, here's the thing. I use cheap white glue as a fabric stabilizer when sewing. I know some people use starch, but it's pricy and the residue can attract silverfish. I actually copy the pattern onto paper, glue it to the fabric, cut it out together and work from there. No need for special markers I don't have or any other way of transferring markings to the fabric and hoping I have the seam allowances right. It worked just fine for me before....

This time, I think my glue may have gotten old and thickened up a bit, and I was too enthusiastic to try the pattern to really notice. It just seemed a little stiffer than usual...
And things really did go ok until I started in on the velcro and hem. The needle couldn't take the weight of all the glued fabric and the tacky velcro too, and I broke a needle.
Then my hem stitches just didn't look neat enough... I had trouble pulling them tight because the fabric was too stiff, even if I wetted it down. By then I knew something was badly wrong... I've never had to use a spring clamp on fabric before.
My fingers got sore and I decided to redraft after only getting a fifth of the way around after hours of forcing a needle through the mess. I might try to salvage the job by going ahead and washing the glue out later, but then I'll have to eyeball the seam allowance, which is not something I like to do when sewing tiny. (or I could pin it first and then try to wash it with sharp points all over, and hope I don't poke myself or break pins XD)

From now on I'm going to try to remember to check the glue.
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby yarwel » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:49 am

Thanks guys! White dove, I feel for you, that sounds like no fun; even breaking a needle. I absolutely hate working with adhesive velcro; that glue they use is just nasty. :x
I'm still on christmas break and I've been trapped inside due to cold weather so I made massive progress yesterday. I'm actually pretty close to finished. :shock:
I just need to finish the sleeve hems, hem the bottom, and cut all the loose threads.
yarwel
the walls have dolliehs

Postby WhiteDove01s » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:02 pm

i know, wish i could find thin velcro without glue. rest of glue own fault tho. sorry for bad typing. cold here, cat decided warmest place on my lap. can reach mouse. cannot properly reach keyboard. tried using end of comb handle to type, can't shift.
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Greyhaunt » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:15 pm

WhiteDove01s wrote:i know, wish i could find thin velcro without glue. rest of glue own fault tho. sorry for bad typing. cold here, cat decided warmest place on my lap. can reach mouse. cannot properly reach keyboard. tried using end of comb handle to type, can't shift.

Ebay - I believe the name of the seller is Coolcat or Coolcats. They sell BJD related stuff including very thin velcro in white and black. Good price too. If I can find a listing I'll update this with a link.

I can't find coolcat - I probably have their name slightly wrong - but if you search BJD Velcro on ebay you'll find some small sheets of it from Mimiwoo or rolls from a chinese seller.
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby WhiteDove01s » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:14 pm

Thanks! I'll keep in mind to try looking for it that way once I've used up the roll of the sticky stuff. Can't justify buying more when I have some, even if what I have is a nuisance to work with... but with all the sewing I'm planning, hopefully I can find ways to use it up in the process... XD Then I can get non-sticky kind! And in black too... that will definitely be useful sometimes.

The cat has graciously allowed me to shift position (as well as granting me a restroom break when she made a litter pan trip of her own), but is still on my lap.
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Jobee » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:29 pm

Yarwel, that looks really cool!
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby Aeilia » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:33 am

WhiteDove, that's unfortunate about the glue -- but I do admire your patience for doing so much on it. Hopefully, it will get easier.

Yarwel, that looks awesome!

No progress here yet, as I've been layed low with the "Mega Cold".
Aeilia
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby MitisFeles » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:43 am

@Yarwel, that shirt is almost too cool to simply sleep in it!

Uliat's coat still isn't finished, but I jump on the wagon! I neglected Dahlia in this period and I already own a beaded pink top to harvest and make a baby-doll for her.
MitisFeles
the walls have dolliehs

Postby WhiteDove01s » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:23 am

The temps have warmed up just enough so that I could leave off sitting right in front of a space heater like Little Miss Fire Hazard and venture into the Back Room. In other words, I now have fabric again. Attempt #2 to make diapers to proceed sometime today. :)
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Fashionista Revolution