Go to footer

Post war

They're too sexy for their clothing - but they have to wear them anyway! Did you buy it? Did you make it? Who cares - let'm strut their stuff here!

Post war

Postby E-Beth » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:04 pm

Late 40s, early 1950s

Image10860993_10204861113584339_4114692965029041261_o by elizabethyoung2, on Flickr

The skirt was inspired by the yellow pleated dress the lady cab driver eventually wears in On the Town.

I love kimono/raglan sleeves and funnel necks! Go 1950s!

I'd like to do this kind of skirt again, in a fabric that is not seersucker. It would look better, I think, in a firmly woven very light cotton.
It is easy to make this kind of skirt.
Pick a material with WOVEN stripes. Cut a long strip (tearing is best - dead straight on the grain that way). Turn and stitch a hem.
Pick a stripe you want to emphasize (I chose red). Fold pleats into the whole width of your strip using the woven stripes as guides. Press all those pleats in.
About where the hip line is (widest part of your doll) run a line of stitching. Above that will be the waistline. Cheat the waistline smaller by overlapping each pleat just a little bit more, especially at the back. Lay the waistband in place, making sure it is perpendicular to the pleats of the skirt. Mark, stitch and do some kind of side closure.
You can stitch the pleats down from the waist to the hipline to help the skirt hold its shape. You can see on the front of the skirt where the pleats are stitched down.
E-Beth
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Re: Post war

Postby Jobee » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:49 am

It looks super cute, and thanks for the instructions!
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Return to Board index

Return to Fashionista Revolution