Go to footer

8x8" Fabric piece challenge (Spoonflower free swatch day!)

They're too sexy for their clothing - but they have to wear them anyway! Did you buy it? Did you make it? Who cares - let'm strut their stuff here!

8x8" Fabric piece challenge (Spoonflower free swatch day!)

Postby WhiteDove01s » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:17 am

I started to post this under general discussions, and then thought the challenge makes it more appropriate for here (and gives the crafty folk among us something to do since it seems the last sewing challenge has wound down). So, here it is, and if I'm wrong feel free to move it.

And this time I have better than a 15-minute warning. XD

Spoonflower just added a new cotton spandex jersey, and when they add new fabrics they often have a free swatch day shortly afterward. This time I got a faster heads up by being aware of that and paying more attention to the newsletters. Here's what was in the last one.

"Get your free swatch of our newest soft and stretchy fabric, Cotton Spandex Jersey next Thursday, January 21st, 2016 from 10AM EST until Friday, January 22nd at 10AM! Start planning your projects now!"

Now, Spoonflower's swatches are a nice 8x8 inches (20cm), which isn't much, but is enough to possibly make a 1/6 t-shirt or a sleeveless dress or something. And while most of the patterns people offer are too big, I've started trying to make some 1/6 (and 1/3, in the case of the larger ginghams) appropriate ones. The preview function on the webpage doesn't handle this well, but I've tried to add my own images of proof swatches to counter that. And, as always, I'll be trying to hit free swatch day myself and using it to proof an argyle pattern that I hope works and will make some nice doll socks!

So, here comes the challenge part... I can't offer prizes (tho I do plan on sharing my pattern layouts for this!), but I am extremely curious about this and will be trying a few things on my own (I have a stack of Spoonflower swatches piled up), but I'd really like to see what anyone here can do for their dolls with an 8x8 inch piece of fabric. It's not much to work with, I know, which is what will make it a fun challenge. :) And you don't have to use Spoonflower's fabric, it just has to be an 8x8 inch piece. That's the only criteria! Who knows, the lot of us might come up with some nifty ways to use up those tiny bits of fabric. :)
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Re: 8x8" Fabric piece challenge (Spoonflower free swatch day

Postby ugg333 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:51 pm

Thank you for the heads up about the free swatch day. I ordered a swatch that has complete dress pattern printed for a MH doll. It came couple of days ago. I like the fabric very much - it is the cotton spandex jersey. Now I have to cut and sew it to see if it really works for tiny doll clothes.
ugg333
i see dead dolliehs

Re: 8x8" Fabric piece challenge (Spoonflower free swatch day

Postby WhiteDove01s » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:19 pm

You're welcome! I have an account there, so they usually send me emails about the occasional free swatch or sale, and I try to let people know because there are a good portion of us with dolls who like to sew for them. :)

Also, I haven't abandoned this thread... real life just got hectic for a while and I haven't had time to sew. I have, however, put together a pattern for an original/vintage Kelly outfit set that fits on an 8x8, the only thing left to do is test draft a baby bonnet to take up the last corner.

I also used my free swatch to proof a new pattern there - an argyle print. I'm thinking legwarmers, armwarmers, a 'sweater-vest'-like top, and a hat. :) Once I know my 8x8 patterns work out, I plan to share them here and on my blog. :)
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Fashionista Revolution