Go to footer

Cherry's Birthday Kimono

They're too sexy for their clothing - but they have to wear them anyway! Did you buy it? Did you make it? Who cares - let'm strut their stuff here!

Cherry's Birthday Kimono

Postby embyquinn » Sat May 25, 2019 8:59 am

So, it's a long weekend, I'm stuck at home, it's a bajillion degrees outside, and my baybay's at work.

Expect picspam.

Cherry's birthday is this month, and I've had her for ten years, so I wanted to give her something really special. Also, I made her a lot of new clothes because she only has like, fifty dresses. But for her birthday I wanted to take a shot at an actual kimono as opposed to my usual yukata. Now, I couldn't afford silk (and silk is a bitch to work with), but I got the softest, most supple cotton I could find in what I considered the perfect pattern: pale blue with cherry blossoms.

So, this ensemble includes a pale green undercollar, a brighter green obi with a green satin ribbon obijime (knotted overcord), and a white chrysanthemum hair ornament. You can't really see the wide pink plain ribbon under the ruffled green ribbon that serves both as a datejime (belt holding the kimono closed under the obi) and an obi-ita (which helps the obi hold its shape), but it's there.

A white ribbon chrysanthemum ornament decorates the chocho (butterfly) knot. The long ends dangle almost like a darari obi, simply because (a) I like it and (b) it makes thying the obi easier. And yes, the butterfly knot is a lot like a simple bow, but it customarily sits atop the obi instead of being tied in the middle. And yes, I know only unmarried girls are supposed to have furisode (almost floor-length sleeves), but it's my damn doll, so there. :D

The cherry tree is actually a spray purchased from Dollar Tree and jammed into a plastic flower pot (which I replaced after this photoshoot with a pretty black pot that looks more Asian). The flowers were originally white, but I dyed them pale pink with a red Sharpie core. (It's so pale it still looks almost white in the pics, but hey.)

Did I mention I love the MTM body's flexibility? She sits on her heels even more nicely than a Volks or Obitsu (and in the case of the Volks, is a lot less likely to fall bonelessly over to the side). The cushion she's kneeling on is her traveling futon, which I wrap her in to take her places. It's a combination travel bag, futon and cushion, and it's made from a pillowcase padded with felt.

Cherry having her birthday lunch of sekihan (Japanese red beans and rice) and chilled green tea. The chopsticks are a toothpick cut in half and glued tip-ends together to give her the illusion of actually eating (instead of being permanently open like the Barbie chopsticks in the sushi set).

The food and drink are seed beads because that's what I had to hand. The bowl is a cut-down capsule from a gum machine. The cup for the tea is the cap from a breath freshener spray. The tray is the lid from a sewing kit pin holder. The table is a paper clip holder turned upside down.

I also got something very special (and decidedly Western) for her birthday: her very own Barbie! It's the "original ponytail" edition of the World's Smallest Barbie, and it's jointed exactly like the original 1959 model. It comes in a molded-on zebra swimsuit, but as a special touch I made a few simple dresses for the doll, including a fairly faithful reproduction of the "Southern Belle" outfit (sans gloves and necklace because, you know, TOO EFFEN SMALL).

Strictly speaking, the WSB is somewhere between 1/4 and 1/6 (it's about 2 a a half inches tall), but I think it's close enough, and Cherry loves her newest plaything.

Cherry thanks you all for coming to her birthday party!
"Dolls love to be played with. They are lonesome if you leave them always in a box. How would you like to be left day after day alone, with no one to love you?"
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Re: Cherry's Birthday Kimono

Postby maywong » Sat May 25, 2019 8:29 pm

She looks very pretty in her new clothes. Happy B-day Cherry.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Sun May 26, 2019 3:53 am

The results are lovely. I notice the little dots on the close up pics.
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby Dark Angel » Mon May 27, 2019 3:45 am

So pretty! I wish I had a kimono like that!
My Family:
Angel, Madison, Morgan, Dog, Egyp, Zurui, Willow, Pandora, Meadow, Camille, Sazuki, Eros, Knox, Mishell, Kirin, Chili, Jack, Carmen, Levi, Dimitri, Sun Wukong, Jezzebelle, Ellie, Ayato, Adrian, Lulu, Dagon, Nick
Dark Angel
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby SetsunaKou » Mon May 27, 2019 11:47 am

Wow! Gorgeous kimono, so detailed and I LOVE her birthday meal! Your use of normal household items as dinnerware/chopsticks/glass/table is INGENIUS!!!! It all looks so real! GREAT job!!!! :)
チェーリーーさん、お誕生日おめでとうよ!
(Cherry-san, otanjoubi omedetou yo!)
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby neon_jellyfish » Mon May 27, 2019 2:15 pm

I love the colors!
neon_jellyfish
Dolly Pardon

Postby WhiteDove01s » Mon May 27, 2019 3:09 pm

Gorgeous kimono. And amazing job making anything for the mini-barbie! Stuff that small is a nightmare, I know. XD
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Eseme » Thu May 30, 2019 1:48 pm

Oh this is lovely! Of course Cherry needs cherry blossoms on her Kimono!

Lovely poses, the tree looks the part quite well, and I am impressed with all the things you have made. her. Cherry is always beautiful, she does not look 10.

Happy Birthday Cherry!

Eseme
Eseme
the walls have dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Fashionista Revolution