Go to footer

kenaiqueen's sewing skillz

They're too sexy for their clothing - but they have to wear them anyway! Did you buy it? Did you make it? Who cares - let'm strut their stuff here!

Re: kenaiqueen's sewing skillz

Postby kenaiqueen » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:35 pm

I have an older Kenmore standard/easy to use model that has fits now and then which is why I bought the new digital one. Some days I spent more time trying to figure out what was wrong than actually sewing. I finally watched the dvd that came with the new one and it mostly had basics I already knew. For specifics, they want you to read the manual. Right now I don't have a chair for it and have to steal one from the computer room or the dining room set. I'll get around to using it eventually, I'm sure. Meantime, yeah, my hands don't work as well as they used to either.
Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.
kenaiqueen
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Tam I am » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:43 pm

Kattriella wrote:
Tam I am wrote:Guys, find an old machine that works. I learned to sew on a treadle, and then the next one I used for any length of time was on of the first electrics, that still looked like a treadle.

I know. Probably too hard to find. But those old babies never let you down, and are easy to use.

I actually have my great grandmother's old treadle machine! Sadly, getting my hands on the things I'd need to be able to use it is another story. Right now, it's for a cloth over it being used as a place for knick knacks and a hiding spot for cats.

Awww. I hear there are people making stuff for the old ladies now, but I don't know where to look. I watched Bernadette Banner's videos about her old ones, and that's where I think I heard that stuff's being made again. BUT this could all just be me hallucinating because of the abnormal heat around here.

kenaiqueen, yeah, it's hard to get furniture when there are so many other things to spend on.
I am Tam. Tam I am. I like green eggs, but I don't like ham. :D

I tried linking one of my adopted click pets here, but the board wouldn't let me. :/
Tam I am
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby kenaiqueen » Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:32 pm

Whipped up a couple of Halloween outfits for the big girls. I had some leftovers from a couple of toddler tutus that I had bought a few years ago to make some Ellowyne outfits, so I used those for the skirts. The tops are just tube socks cut to size. I bought some black ones and sacrificed some white ones that I had here for the lining.
ImageWitches by Kenai Queen, on Flickr
The shoes are totally a sad situation. I need to find some more choices for them that aren't more than I pay for a pair of shoes for me. They are both wearing some Halloween bracelets I have for their necklaces. And somewhere, I have a box of witch hats, but I could only find the one that Nikki is wearing.
ImageWitchNikki by Kenai Queen, on Flickr
ImageWitchPenny by Kenai Queen, on Flickr
kenaiqueen
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby maywong » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:22 am

You did a great job.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby kenaiqueen » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:33 pm

Here are the two Christmas outfits I bought for my Smarties. They each have a dress & a hat that fit and booties/socks & mittens that don't fit. One dress has a separate wrap and the other has an attached caplet. Both needed work. Here are the before shots.
First the hiddy bows.
ImageXmasDress1 by Kenai Queen, on Flickr
ImageXmasDress2 by Kenai Queen, on Flickr
And here is the first I've worked on, before.
ImageBefore by Kenai Queen, on Flickr
After putting in darts and taking some of the fullness out of the skirt.
ImageAfter1 by Kenai Queen, on Flickr
(Continuing in the next post.)
kenaiqueen
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby kenaiqueen » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:38 pm

Next I cut up the bootie sox and used the fake fur to put on the sleeves. Then I added two kinds of trim.
ImageAfter2 by Kenai Queen, on Flickr
Finally, I added some details to the wrap.
ImageAfterDetails by Kenai Queen, on Flickr
Ta da! I'm pretty happy with it now.
ImageAfterWrap by Kenai Queen, on Flickr
She has on a long sleeve white top under it since I'm certain that color isn't stable and there was no way to wash it and still preserve the white trim. I'll need to dig up another for the other dress when I finish that in the next day or two. I probably won't keep them in those for very long. I still have last year's little shift tee dresses I made for them that will be safer.
kenaiqueen
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Kirahfaye » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:31 am

Looking adorable!
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby SetsunaKou » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:31 pm

kenaiqueen wrote:Next I cut up the bootie sox and used the fake fur to put on the sleeves. Then I added two kinds of trim.
ImageAfter2 by Kenai Queen, on Flickr
Finally, I added some details to the wrap.
ImageAfterDetails by Kenai Queen, on Flickr
Ta da! I'm pretty happy with it now.
ImageAfterWrap by IKenai Queen, on Flickr
She has on a long sleeve white top under it since I'm certain that color isn't stable and there was no way to wash it and still preserve the white trim. I'll need to dig up another for the other dress when I finish that in the next day or two. I probably won't keep them in those for very long. I still have last year's little shift tee dresses I made for them that will be safer.

Nice! I love it! She’s sooo cute! That CHRISTmas elf dress and wrap is really gorgeous! Great job!
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby maywong » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:17 am

Another great sewing job. I need to get my sewing machine out someday.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby kenaiqueen » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:00 pm

Thanks for the lovely comments! Second dress finished! I didn't bother with darting this one as it wasn't showing all that much with the caplet over it, but I did take in some of the fullness of the skirt. Added the fur from booties/sox onto the sleeves and added the trim. Dug up another stain protection shirt but I'll probably have to change them out of these by the end of the week just in case. Still happy with the way they look tho.
ImageNicTrimmed by Kenai Queen, on Flickr
Trim detail
ImageNicTrimDetail by Kenai Queen, on Flickr
The girls together with their Christmas stuffies.
ImageNicNpenXmas by Kenai Queen, on Flickr
I'll probably take a few more pics of them when we get the tree up later this week..
kenaiqueen
Iz dolliehs Here

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Fashionista Revolution