Go to footer

Excited for the eclipse?

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

Excited for the eclipse?

Postby DollyKim » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:45 am

Anyone else looking forward to the solar eclipse- but not looking directly at it without eclipse glasses? We're the only known planet to have this so take a moment for it.

I'm in the 60-70% totality zone and will be using a pinhole camera for safe viewing and picture taking.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Re: Excited for the eclipse?

Postby Dark Angel » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:35 am

I'm actually kind of nervous about it because everyone's been saying how dangerous it is. I was warned not to let my pets outside that day in case they look up! :?

I work tomorrow and have to drop my puppy off at daycare and they let them outside to play. Its probably not going to be a big deal, but I still worry. Worrying seems to be a favorite pastime of mine lately. :roll:
My Family:
Angel, Madison, Morgan, Dog, Egyp, Zurui, Willow, Pandora, Meadow, Camille, Sazuki, Eros, Knox, Mishell, Kirin, Chili, Jack, Carmen, Levi, Dimitri, Sun Wukong, Jezzebelle, Ellie, Ayato, Adrian, Lulu, Dagon, Nick
Dark Angel
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby ShortNCuddlyAm » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:56 am

I'd've thought your puppy was more likely to be concerned abut it suddenly getting dark (especially if you usually pick them up before it's dark) than look up at the sun. It was weird watching cows and listening to birds during the only eclipse I've seen. The cows seemed to think it was night and started heading to the field gate, the birds went quiet.

I suspect we may be the only species who would look directly at the sun during an eclipse (or any other time, for that matter).
Remember, the reverse of stressed is desserts.
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
ShortNCuddlyAm
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby kenaiqueen » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:33 am

Yeah, animals have been on the planet for millennia without going blind from looking at the sun. Humans are the only ones stupid enough to do that LOL! We won't see much of it here in Alaska, partly because of the rain in the forecast, but I do have the glasses distributed by NASA to libraries for giveaway. I have a few family members who have traveled to one of my brother's vacation land in MO to see it. I was not even invited or told about it, but I'm sure they know I wouldn't go anyway. Speaks to how well I get along with most of my brothers.
Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.
kenaiqueen
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Trethowan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:03 pm

I'm driving out to see it at 100% totality. I'm really excited to experience the event.
Trethowan
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby Qrinta » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:25 pm

I'll be at work but I'll head out to view it. My aunt got us some eclipse glasses but I may just do the pinhole and paper like I did for the last one. XD
Qrinta's Cantankery

If you like Legend of Korra/Disney and cutesy art in general (like my avi) consider checking out my bestie's Patreon Some content is NSFW.
Qrinta
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby DollyKim » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:51 am

Pony's name is Sunny.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Dark Angel » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:22 pm

:lol: Where I'm at, the clouds covered the whole thing. So much for watching the eclipse.
My Family:
Angel, Madison, Morgan, Dog, Egyp, Zurui, Willow, Pandora, Meadow, Camille, Sazuki, Eros, Knox, Mishell, Kirin, Chili, Jack, Carmen, Levi, Dimitri, Sun Wukong, Jezzebelle, Ellie, Ayato, Adrian, Lulu, Dagon, Nick
Dark Angel
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby victoriavictrix » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:04 pm

We were at Gencon this past weekend, so got up at the unholy (for us) hour of 7 AM hoping to at least get south of St. Louis where there would be totality. But for a wonder people had gotten into place long before and we managed to make the "sweet spot" of St. Clair Missouri just as the eclipse started. Found ourselves a good place to park right off the Interstate and got out our glasses and had a great time.

Going home from there was a slightly different story. Lots and lots of slowdowns--people might have gotten in place a day or so early, but as soon as the show was over, they all piled into their cars and onto the Interstate at once. We even pulled off for a nap at one point, since the traffic was ridiculous.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby K2! » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:24 am

I thought about driving down to Carbondale IL, but bailed when I got sick on Sunday. Sounds like it was very cool. Oh, well. Time to start planning for 2024.
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... dJYQm1I-AA
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11737&start=170#p135971
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!