Go to footer

Puerto Rico second hand check in

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

Re: Puerto Rico second hand check in

Postby victoriavictrix » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:23 pm

kiki-chan78 wrote:It looks like Jose is wandering around a bit. With luck he'll fizzle out. <3

-Kiki.chan78.

AMEN!
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Dark Angel » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:04 pm

Anyone hear from Setsunakou yet?? I keep thinking about her in Florida. Hope she is alright!
My Family:
Angel, Madison, Morgan, Dog, Egyp, Zurui, Willow, Pandora, Meadow, Camille, Sazuki, Eros, Knox, Mishell, Kirin, Chili, Jack, Carmen, Levi, Dimitri, Sun Wukong, Jezzebelle, Ellie, Ayato, Adrian, Lulu, Dagon, Nick
Dark Angel
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby SetsunaKou » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:03 am

Dark Angel wrote:Anyone hear from Setsunakou yet?? I keep thinking about her in Florida. Hope she is alright!

:HUGS: Dark Angel-san! Minna-sama!

We're okay! A bumpy ride before (my sister and father were screwing plywood on our sliding door and it fell on my sis' foot, causing a huge bad bruise on her big toe. :( We hope it isn't broken or fractured but how could we tell? Everything was closed and we couldn't call or go anywhere! She could hardly walk and it got worse because she kept using it anyway because we had so much work preparing for the hurricane yet!) and after but Irma itself wasn't too bad for us (as I expected. I figured by the time it reached us, it would've died down mostly), apart from the power outage! We lost all power at 3:30 AM Monday morning and it didn't come back on until Wednesday! :cries: It was so hard without power and we had to throw away nearly our entire refrigerator.

I am so full, too, because we kept trying to eat as much as we could before it went bad without electricity to power the fridge.
On Monday we had cheese, cheese, milk, ovaltine, ice cream, ice cream and more ice cream! That was just breakfast and lunch! For dinner, we had pastrami sandwiches that we purposely saved for a 'no power' day which we expected.

What we didn't expect was almost 3 days of no power! So on Tues, when our freezer started to thaw out, we stupidly decided to grill the bacon because we had 2.5 pounds of it. It worked out at first but then the whole pan caught on fire from the grease and my poor dad burnt his hand and arm trying to put it out by grabbing the pan off the grill. He now has 1st and bad 2nd degree burns (not just superficial but some partial thickness!) and he's in deep pain.
We panicked about it for awhile because of course, the power is still off, can't go anywhere nor is anywhere open, and so we put butter on it, coolish water and just try to get him more comfortable but you know that's impossible with such a wound!
Anyway, after awhile, he told us to keep cooking and I fried eggs and then later we made shrimp scampi using all the shrimp and butter we had thawing. Plus 1 t-bone steak that thawed already.
It would've been all tasty but poor Dad's injury was foremost on our minds so we didn't really want to eat. :( We just forced it all down. :(
In the late afternoon, we went to our local convenience store to pick up hopefully some batteries and bandages and anything to ease his pain. Well, it was open thankfully, and while we were browsing the bandage aisle, a kind lady asked if we needed bandages and she pointed to where they were. She must've sensed we were really in need because we then explained what happened and amazingly, she offered to give us an aloe plant! She said she lived just a few houses down on the next street and she would be more than happy to help us because aloe is one of best things for burns! We couldn't believe it! She told us to follow her to her home and once there, she gave us a huge plant! She was a Godsend---truly God aligned our paths to meet for such a blessing! What a lovely and kind lady! She explained how to use it and we then went to CVS to get silver nitrate for the wound, too.
We applied it all and Dad felt a bit better.

Then yesterday, the power finally came on and we went to CVS to get some more silver nitrate microbial gel for the wound because the pharmacies we called told us that was the best thing for such a burn.
We've used it up now and i ordered more online. Poor Dad is suffering so much! But thank God for the power being back on! It would've been so hot and unbearable for him without AC!
Last night, we cooked everything---pork, more bacon (bad bacon!), and 6 more steaks that needed cooking. So we've been eating, eating, eating and I'm so full and never want to eat again!

But thank you for thinking of us! I wasn't able to come online for almost 3 days nor yesterday, it was so hectic with all above going on---I hadn't a chance to write here! :hugs:

God bless you!

~Setsuna
Last edited by SetsunaKou on Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Dark Angel » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:13 pm

Despite your sister's possible broken toe and your dad's terrible burns, I'm SO glad you're OK. I kept thinking about you and your sister. I'm actually so relieved right now that I'm getting all teary-eyed. Silly.

When do you think you'll be able to get to a doctor? Soon, I hope. I was going to suggest aloe, but the nice lady beat me to it! (good thing too, cause it's been a couple days) I know that my mom always put aloe on our sunburns, so I figured it'd probably help a bit with other burns. Anything to take the edge off the pain!

*hugs* Thanks for checking in! You've put me at ease.
My Family:
Angel, Madison, Morgan, Dog, Egyp, Zurui, Willow, Pandora, Meadow, Camille, Sazuki, Eros, Knox, Mishell, Kirin, Chili, Jack, Carmen, Levi, Dimitri, Sun Wukong, Jezzebelle, Ellie, Ayato, Adrian, Lulu, Dagon, Nick
Dark Angel
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby SetsunaKou » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:25 pm

Dark Angel wrote:Despite your sister's possible broken toe and your dad's terrible burns, I'm SO glad you're OK. I kept thinking about you and your sister. I'm actually so relieved right now that I'm getting all teary-eyed. Silly.

When do you think you'll be able to get to a doctor? Soon, I hope. I was going to suggest aloe, but the nice lady beat me to it! (good thing too, cause it's been a couple days) I know that my mom always put aloe on our sunburns, so I figured it'd probably help a bit with other burns. Anything to take the edge off the pain!

*hugs* Thanks for checking in! You've put me at ease.

Awwww, wow.....:hugs again: You're so so super sweet, Dark Angel-san!!! Thank you for being you and for being the wonderful, kind friend you are!!! God bless you!

Hope anyone else on DS from FL made it through Irma! I heard on the tv (now that we had the power on again to hear news) that the FL Keys and Naples area was really hit hard. 90% damage or more to the homes there!

It was odd those 3 days without electricity because they were all AFTER Irma left already. But we didn't want to take down any of the wood or safety stuff because we had heard that Hurricane Jose might be headed to NE Florida! We prayed and hoped not but without power, we couldn't really find out! The radio was mostly dedicated to Irma and we couldn't keep it on but a few minutes at a time because, stupidly, we forgot to buy additional batteries and no store in town when they finally opened late Tues/Wed had anymore 'D' batteries! So, we were ' in the dark' literally and figuratively!! :)

Again, Dark Angel-san, thank you so much for your care and concern! You are a true friend! :)
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Kirahfaye » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:06 am

It's been so long since Florida has really be hit by a strong hurricane that I don't think most people there know how to react to it. When you have a potential storm it's best to get rid of as much refrigerated food as you can before it hits. And the old idea of filling up bath tubs with water so you can flush your toilets is still a good one. Also, please don't use butter (or any kind of lard or shortening) on burns anymore - it can cause even worse burning. Your dad really needs to get those burns tended to by a doctor, though. Don't let him "be a guy" about it. ;)

My mom has been trying for days to get in contact with her neighbor down in Broward County. Sheila isn't answering her phone or returning messages, so far. We figure she went to one of her daughter's homes in Miami so she wouldn't be alone during the storm and they may still be without electricity.... :?
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby victoriavictrix » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:03 pm

Putting butter or other greasy ointments on a burn may actually make things worse, since the grease will slow the release of heat from the skin. This causes more damage from the retained heat. The best way to release heat from the skin is with cool water.

http://inhomecpr.com/how-to-treat-burns/
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby kiki-chan78 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:08 pm

aaaaaand, being hit by another hurricane. It's scheduled to hit on Wednesday. :(

-Kiki.chan78.
kiki-chan78
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby Kirahfaye » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:53 pm

So I've heard....... please stay safe and don't take any unnecessary risks. :(
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby kiki-chan78 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:10 pm

Maria is now a category five hurricane. Two in one month. Some parts of the island had only JUST started getting electricity and water back, and now this? FML.

-Kiki.chan78.
kiki-chan78
I snort dolliehs liek candi

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!