Go to footer

'Welcome to Marwen

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

Re: 'Welcome to Marwen

Postby Kirahfaye » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:22 pm

I saw the trailer for the first time about an hour ago and it brought tears to my eyes!
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby kenaiqueen » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:59 pm

Kirahfaye wrote:I saw the trailer for the first time about an hour ago and it brought tears to my eyes!

Ditto here. I just can't imagine what he went thru.
Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.
kenaiqueen
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby DollyKim » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:44 am

I'm not a theater person but I'll be looking forward to getting it on DVD.

Maybe it'll get some non doll people to lighten up on the hobby and lay off the whole creepy doll thing?
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby mollym » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:31 am

Marwencol inspired me to have and enjoly dolls for myself as an adult. I saw it before I bought my first BJD. My first BJD was my first 'on purpose' doll I have as an adult. Before, I inherited some others, found one in the trash and kept a few from childhood. I didn't think doll collecting was something I could really do the way I wanted until I saw Mark with his dolls.... because I didn't want to put them on a shelf and just look at them.... I want dolls I can play with. This was also before I really started to talk to BJD owners too.... so I really didn't know it wasn't crazy and I was scared.

I went to the theater the first chance I had. On the way, I stopped at the Goodwill to look around. I always check for dolls at thrift shops, but never had much luck finding any I like. Well, it must have been the Dolly Gods at work, I found 2 I liked, both made by Mattel. They fit in with my tiny crew of 1/6 scale. I found a (turned out to be rare sculpt) Raquelle articulated doll from Life in the Dream-house web series and a curvy body AA Angel face sculpt of the current Fashionista line. I cleaned them up later at home.

The movie was good, I had the theater alone to myself. It doesn't follow his story exactly, some characters never existed IRL, some are not presented, and all others have a different story/relationship compared to RL as well as events not being in order of occurrence. This is typical and expected anytime a story is told by Hollywood, so it doesn't detract from the movie itself, but it makes his story more into a dramatic movie for entertainment like any other. The acting is great, and I love the animation style! I will look forward to buying a DVD copy to join my documentary DVD and art book I already own. Who ever did the set design deserves to be recognized. I hope to make it out to the theater once more before it stops.

I highly recommend this movie to any teen or adult toy collector. It's not for younger children because of themes of violence, sex, fetishes and drug abuse.

Here is my Mark.
Last edited by mollym on Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Man dolls.... because baby dolls come from somewhere. ;)
mollym
dolliehs are watching me O.O;

Postby WhiteDove01s » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:41 am

I most likely won't get to see it until it's out on DVD and those can be picked up secondhand (aka a few years). Definitely not a theater person and new films are way too expensive for me. But it's on the list!

One thing outside of the story that really caught my interest from the trailers was the outdoor doll town. I have wanted to do that in the back yard SO MANY TIMES but am too scared something would happen to it or any dolls (or accessories, or anything) left there if I didn't bring them all in every night. Enough people in my family worked construction that I know I could design miniature houses that would be a little more sturdy/realistic/weatherproof than the average dollhouse, but... as far as actual weather and animals and thieving neighbors and such it's more likely the kind of dream left to movies. Still, it'll be neat to see, even if just as video.
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby davidd » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:09 pm

WhiteDove01s wrote:One thing outside of the story that really caught my interest from the trailers was the outdoor doll town. I have wanted to do that in the back yard SO MANY TIMES but am too scared something would happen to it or any dolls (or accessories, or anything) left there if I didn't bring them all in every night.

I think Hogancamp's outdoor sets actually benefited from being left outdoors in all sorts of weather. It adds a gritty, worn realism to them that is difficult to achieve artificially.

The movie gives the animated versions of the figures a bit of a cartoony style, while Hogancamp's original images, figures, and sets are incredibly realistic.

Here's an older article featuring several of his photos, including some in the outdoor setting:
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... ever-ended

Here's an article that includes some behind-the-scenes info and photos on the construction of the village:
https://medium.com/vantage/constructing ... f92a2a8c01

A few different... and graphically realistic and gory... pics in this article:
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... ors-of-war

I've read that Hogancamp used to participate in some of the online action figure forums years ago, sharing photos and construction tips.
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby maywong » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:29 am

davidd wrote:I've read that Hogancamp used to participate in some of the online action figure forums years ago, sharing photos and construction tips.

He use to be on the OSW forum years ago. The some of the older members remember him.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby WhiteDove01s » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:13 am

davidd wrote:I think Hogancamp's outdoor sets actually benefited from being left outdoors in all sorts of weather. It adds a gritty, worn realism to them that is difficult to achieve artificially.

Ooo, cool pictures. And, yes, but there's a difference between left out in the rain and left out in the rain when you live somewhere with wild (and domesticated) animals who would chew up dolls. Tho I am still sorely tempted to see if I can build a 1/6 scale Skyrim-style house... or a small one-room log cabin... among others.
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:42 am

If they still make Lincoln Logs those should be about right for the start of a 1/6 log cabin.

I feel the lack of safe space for building for the dolls. What about making a chickenwire cage to put around any outdoor constructions? Or putting them up on poles or other ways bird feeders are squirrel proofed?
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby davidd » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:58 am

WhiteDove01s wrote:... but there's a difference between left out in the rain and left out in the rain when you live somewhere with wild (and domesticated) animals who would chew up dolls.

I can't imagine that he leaves the actual dolls and figures outside. He obviously works with higher-end figures with a lot of expensive accessories.
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!