Go to footer

A Con-ventional vacation

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

A Con-ventional vacation

Postby kenaiqueen » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:58 pm

I just got back home from a trip to Seattle's Emerald City Comic Con. Met up with 3 ladies (and the daughter of one) with whom I've been chatting on-line for over 10 years, but had only met one of them in person before. We did a cosplay day as the lunch ladies from the Stargate Atlantis cafeteria. Great fun! But no dolls! Honestly, hundreds of things for sale including figurines, but nothing articulated or that I'd call a real doll. Sad. I ended up with 2 new tees and a handful of books.

One of the high points was meeting my favorite author (and her delightful husband) and getting her autograph on one of my favorite trilogies in one lovely edition. Misty also signed some bookmarkers for my gal pals who were most delighted! Best part, I might have heard some spoilers about the next book and now I can hardly wait! :D

While I was there, the new Disney LE Briar Rose doll went on sale and I stayed up late one night and was able to order one. She was waiting for me when I got home this evening.
Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.
kenaiqueen
Iz dolliehs Here

Re: A Con-ventional vacation

Postby neon_jellyfish » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:18 am

That's great you had such a good time! And that you managed to snatch a limited doll!

Mind if I ask who is the author you mentioned?
neon_jellyfish
Dolly Pardon

Postby Kirahfaye » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:15 am

So wonderful that you got to meet Misty and Larry!

I haven't checked into it in a couple of years (because we haven't been meeting), but our local group used to get together with others from DOA who were attending Dragon*Con so we could have a mini-meet up or two. It's always fun to meet people you've become friends with online or are even just members of the same forums.
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby Eseme » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:47 am

neon_jellyfish - Misty would be Mercedes Lackey, who is a member on these boards.

Glad you had a wonderful time, it is great to meet online friends, Kenaiqueen!

Eseme
Eseme
the walls have dolliehs

Postby neon_jellyfish » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:57 am

Eseme wrote:neon_jellyfish - Misty would be Mercedes Lackey, who is a member on these boards.

Wow, cool! Thanks!
neon_jellyfish
Dolly Pardon

Postby davidd » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:29 am

Sounds like a fun time! I saw some photos on Instagram by a Smart Doll owner who took a Smart Doll to Emerald City.
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby kenaiqueen » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:03 pm

davidd wrote:Sounds like a fun time! I saw some photos on Instagram by a Smart Doll owner who took a Smart Doll to Emerald City.

Oh, wish I'd seen that. I would have talked to them and asked for a pic.

Truth be told, altho I had a good time, it was very overwhelming to be among so many people and while the first day wasn't so bad, the Fri & Sat elbow-to-elbow crowds were making me a little crazy. I'm from a little town in Alaska...4 cars at the same 4-way stop is gridlock because we all politely wave at everyone else to go first LOL! Having to sleep on the 22nd floor of a 40+ story building was terrifying and I kept feeling the ground move in some areas of pavement on the sidewalks. Driving home thru the mountains has helped get me re-settled tho.

My only regret is not having gotten one of Larry's maps when I had the chance. (*smacks stupid head!)

Glad I did it....hope I never have to get on an airplane again!
Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.
kenaiqueen
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Kirahfaye » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:30 am

Which map?

Unfortunately, it seems Misty and Larry aren't going to be at DragonCon this year. And my dreams of them coming to JordanCon as guest Author and Artist have not come to fruition yet. I tend to only go to one day at D*C anymore because of the crowds and craziness and even then I spend most of my time in the High Fantasy secton or dealer/artist rooms. JordanCon is much smaller, calmer and more like family since I know or are acquainted with many of the people involved (and am married to one of the directors - LOL).
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye

Postby victoriavictrix » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:06 pm

Kirahfaye wrote:Which map?

Unfortunately, it seems Misty and Larry aren't going to be at DragonCon this year. \

Actually we are, I just haven't been home to use the home PC which will allow me to e-sign the acceptance letter. The laptops don't have that capability.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Kirahfaye » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:56 am

victoriavictrix wrote:
Kirahfaye wrote:Which map?

Unfortunately, it seems Misty and Larry aren't going to be at DragonCon this year. \

Actually we are, I just haven't been home to use the home PC which will allow me to e-sign the acceptance letter. The laptops don't have that capability.

Awesome!
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!